Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 112 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #16
Koisnake
I want some fancy sauce

Edited the 'Can I dye fur?' question:

YES. After some research and experiments, I found out that RIT DYE can work for dying fur effectively. When dying your fur, do NOT use boiling water, or you will melt the fur! Simply use hot water (not 'burning'), and allow the fur to sit in the Rit Dye 'bath' for about 30 minutes (or longer, I only tested this on samples of fur). Wring all the water out, brush (since the fur is nappy), and allow to dry. Once dry, water down the fur until the water runs clear, then allow to dry once more and brush until soft. Although this is not a permanent dye, it lasts long and is great for those hard to get colors.
Koisnake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #17
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

Addendum: Wig dying methods, such as Fw ink and Sharpie+Alcohol, also work on faux fur for a more permanent coloring, though they have a far less effective area at a time and will require higher concentrations and more work for large pieces of fur.

After all, wigs and faux fur are basically the same thing, with different fiber thickness, heh.
Oshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 03:18 AM   #18
darkrose123

Hello,
I have a question that I've meaning to ask...
I bought a yard of sunshine yellow faux fur....but I want dye it light orange. I have Dylon cold water dye, can that be used instead of Rit Dye?

Another werid question...is it possible spray the dye over the fur (like when you dye wigs and comb as you go?) to dye it orange?

Any suggestion would be appriciated
Thank you
darkrose123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #19
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

Yeah, it's possible to spray it and comb it in, but you'll probably need to really saturate the fur to make sure to get the roots. Good for partial dying. If you're doing the whole thing, easier to just dunk it.

No clue re: cold water dye, though.
Unread 02-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #20
NinjaLadyHinata
Lady~Rin

Hi thanks for the help on making fursuits i was so lost and im just starting to make my wolf link costume i was wondering if u have any pointers on making it, like wether or not i should make a four legged one with PVC pipe in the front legs or just leave it as my arms? And how'd u get that color for the fur?
NinjaLadyHinata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #21
Koisnake
I want some fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaLadyHinata View Post
Hi thanks for the help on making fursuits i was so lost and im just starting to make my wolf link costume i was wondering if u have any pointers on making it, like wether or not i should make a four legged one with PVC pipe in the front legs or just leave it as my arms? And how'd u get that color for the fur?
Honestly, do a bipedal (two legged) Wolf Link. Quad suits are VERY complex and even I had difficulty making my own. It toke me $400 out of my pocket to make, including the materials and trial and error. My first fursuit was a bipedal suit.

I bought about 5 yards of the green off another person, so I can't help you there. The brown and cream is sold out (which sucks, since I need to redo his back paws). Check out the sites I posted, they provide great sources for fur. Expect to pay close to $200 for your fur.

Last edited by Koisnake : 02-07-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Koisnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #22
NinjaLadyHinata
Lady~Rin

thanks i was thinking about just not doing the brown cuz 1. Can't find any in the color OR style i want. 2. I DON'T WANNA DYE IT CUZ THAT PROCESS IS ANNOYING. 3. frankly I think it looks nicer without the brown. so im just doing a stand up and should i make the eyes more towards the front by his nose or on the sidish?
NinjaLadyHinata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2009, 03:30 AM   #23
DeathOfSoul
Epic Mustache

Thanks for the tips and links~ they really helped me with my Cheshire Cat cosplay! I hope it works, haha.

Tumblr

(Wow what a bad SN. I made it up several years ago and thought it sounded cool. |D Oops.)
DeathOfSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 02:21 AM   #24
DeathOfSoul
Epic Mustache

Sorry to do a double post, but I was hopeing posting my question here will get an answer..

I have some purple faux fur, but I need to dye it to a dark purple. Which Rit Dye color should I use? If any? Or if not Rit Dye, what dye brand? Thank you~

Tumblr

(Wow what a bad SN. I made it up several years ago and thought it sounded cool. |D Oops.)
Unread 03-30-2009, 03:13 AM   #25
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOfSoul View Post
Sorry to do a double post, but I was hopeing posting my question here will get an answer..

I have some purple faux fur, but I need to dye it to a dark purple. Which Rit Dye color should I use? If any? Or if not Rit Dye, what dye brand? Thank you~
I've not used Rit dye on faux fur myself, but what colors you'd need for a dark purple would be the same as if it were any fabric really.

I don't know what shade of purple you're starting with and what shade you're trying to achieve, but if you're wanting something fairly dark (indigo and plum families), you'd want to mix the Purple Rit dye and Black Rit dye. The Rit Purple dye is a reddish shade, so if you were needing a more blue-toned purple, you'd add in some Denim Rit dye too to the Purple or in place of the Black since it's very dark.

I could give you a better idea of what colors and how much if I had pictures of what color you're starting with and aiming for. ^^

I've not seen what sort of color change is possible with the Rit fur dyeing method, I would imagine drastic color change is fairly difficult to achieve. For drastic change, I'd recommend either Sharpies, FW ink, Copic ink, or watered down acrylic paints. The first three would be done pretty much like you would for the known wig dyeing methods with those inks, but here's a tutorial for the acrylic paint method:

http://community.livejournal.com/fursuit/2552327.html

Last edited by Bahzi : 03-30-2009 at 03:19 AM.
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #26
DeathOfSoul
Epic Mustache

Thank you so much!! *hugs* I think I'm going to try out the acrylic paint method first then the Rit Dye (since there's some good, really dark purple acrylic paint at my work) <3

EDIT 4/4/09: The acrylic paint method worked wonders! I got a just about perfect tint!! *jumps up and down with fur* Thanks for the suggestion <3

Tumblr

Last edited by DeathOfSoul : 04-04-2009 at 03:26 AM.
Unread 05-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #27
Imalamuya
is abusing electronics.

Of the vendors listed, only one identifies if their fur is no-way, 2-way, or 4-way stretch. For most applications, no-way or 2-way is fine. For other things, 4-way is necessary. Guess which I need? Can anyone recommend a source for 4-way short pile (~1/4") in white?

2009 convention attendance go boom due to health.
Imalamuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #28
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imalamuya View Post
Can anyone recommend a source for 4-way short pile (~1/4") in white?
NFT does, but it's ridiculously expensive. Like $30 per square foot.
http://www.nftech.com/
Unread 05-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #29
Imalamuya
is abusing electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshi View Post
NFT does, but it's ridiculously expensive. Like $30 per square foot.
http://www.nftech.com/
Yeah, not at $35/sqft when I'm going to have to shave it waaaaay back. (Their shortest is a 1-2" variable and I need 1/4"-1/2".) Any other sources? I've done two-way stretch testing, and there isn't a chance of it working. I'd get maybe a half hour before it tore or popped seams in the stress areas. And uniformity across the whole bodysuit is a big deal.

2009 convention attendance go boom due to health.
Imalamuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #30
Temperance
Elves are Jerks

You're going to have a hard time finding fur with any stretch Imalamuya. Why do you want stretchy fur anyway?
I would suggest doing a lot of Darts instead. Faux fur hides seams really well, even when you shave it.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/temperance/ - Furaffinity
Temperance is offline   Reply With Quote