Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 116 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #31
Cheebes
High Wizard

Ah, just putting this in really quick:

my fur for my High Wizard cape was shedding like CRAZY, and wouldn't stop, but I found that actually LIGHTLY spraying it down with hairspray actually stopped it. It's still completely soft, doesn't smell like hairspray, and overall worked out.
While I'd totally test it on a scrap piece, just saying it worked for me. NOT sure what kind of fur it is. I got it by the yard at Joanns~

FloROCos - Bringing Ragnarok back, one con at a time.

Attending:
Megacon
Metrocon
Chibi Pa (possible)

DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cheebes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #32
Imalamuya
is abusing electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
You're going to have a hard time finding fur with any stretch Imalamuya. Why do you want stretchy fur anyway?
I would suggest doing a lot of Darts instead. Faux fur hides seams really well, even when you shave it.
Same problem as last year - gloves. Difference being, last year's gloves worked because I oiled the crap out of the Springbok and pre-stretched it, plus I was working along natural bend directions. The end result being that all the flexing and movement was along the correct axes.
I've had no trouble finding 2-way that has enough stretch to work, but it doesn't work because of the axis. Most of the stretch is going to occur from grasping, so it needs to stretch along the length. All of the 2-way I've found, stretches along width.

2009 convention attendance go boom due to health.
Imalamuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #33
Hasina2006

Lulu Fur?

I'm glad I found this thread! I'm working on a Lulu cosplay & I'm having a hard time finding proper fur.

So far I have found:
http://www.distinctivefabric.com/fab...RFUR1&expand=1 in gray?
vs
http://www.syfabrics.com/Browse.aspx...Shaggy-Fur/186 in gray or ivory?

It seems to me so far that the gray is a little too dark, while the ivory is a little too light and neither of them have the brown hints at the roots & tips... Would it be easier to darken the ivory or lighten the gray, do you think?

Attached is a reference picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Back 02.jpg (89.7 KB, 0 views)
Hasina2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #34
Koisnake
I want some fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasina2006 View Post
I'm glad I found this thread! I'm working on a Lulu cosplay & I'm having a hard time finding proper fur.

So far I have found:
http://www.distinctivefabric.com/fab...RFUR1&expand=1 in gray?
vs
http://www.syfabrics.com/Browse.aspx...Shaggy-Fur/186 in gray or ivory?

It seems to me so far that the gray is a little too dark, while the ivory is a little too light and neither of them have the brown hints at the roots & tips... Would it be easier to darken the ivory or lighten the gray, do you think?

Attached is a reference picture.
Why not the following furs from Imstuffedfurs?
http://imstuffedfur.com/whatsnew.html
Look for NA-JR
or you can look through their entire site for more furs. They offer a large variety of furs, and have hundreds they don't even list on the site. Give them an email with your reference, asking them exactly what you need.

Also, did you try plushfurs.com?
Koisnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #35
Hasina2006

Big thank you to Koisnake! I hadn't found either of the sites you recommended; I'll be checking them out for sure.
Hasina2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #36
Koisnake
I want some fancy sauce

No problem! Be sure to order a swatch of the fur(s) you want to buy first, since computer monitors usually distort the actual color.
Koisnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #37
Alorelle
Natsu ★ Game

Fake fur?

PLEASE READ LATEST POST BELOW ! NEW QUESTION !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alorelle View Post
I figured since I started a topic on this a while ago, I wouldn't make a new one now. P:

BUT NEW QUESTION!
Does anyone know any place I could order long white fake fur that offers EMS shipping? I was going to order mine from Theatre House but they only offer international and if thats the case, I'm a bit afraid it'll take two weeks or more to get in and I really need it by the end of this week at the latest. D: ''

Or if anyone knows a place in Ontario thats within the Guelph to Downtown Toronto area that sells white fake fur (that carries ALOT of it, since I need it to complete my Ouka cosplay) that would be great as well.

MTAC :: Ino :: ???

Last edited by Alorelle : 04-11-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Alorelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #38
Cosplay_Rose
Gold Rose Cosplay

JoAnne's and Micheal's. That's where I found mine and it's GORGEOUS. The main downfall is that it comes in these 12" X 15" squares. It's manageable, but sort of a pain. In JoAnne's it's not with the rest of the fur, it's in the craft side (I don't remember by what though) and in Micheal's, it should be in the children's crafts section.

While I'm here,
Does anyone know how to dye fake fur?
There are very specific parts of my costume that need to be red. I was thinking of buying more fur, cutting it to the shapes I need, dying it, shaving the fur of what it needs to go on, and then sewing / gluing it on. But that's a LOT of work and the con's a month away T_T Does anyone have any results with coloring fake fur with sharpie? Does it work?
Unread 07-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #39
WizardofOzfan39
The Scarecrow of Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosplay_Rose View Post
JoAnne's and Micheal's. That's where I found mine and it's GORGEOUS. The main downfall is that it comes in these 12" X 15" squares. It's manageable, but sort of a pain. In JoAnne's it's not with the rest of the fur, it's in the craft side (I don't remember by what though) and in Micheal's, it should be in the children's crafts section.

While I'm here,
Does anyone know how to dye fake fur?
There are very specific parts of my costume that need to be red. I was thinking of buying more fur, cutting it to the shapes I need, dying it, shaving the fur of what it needs to go on, and then sewing / gluing it on. But that's a LOT of work and the con's a month away T_T Does anyone have any results with coloring fake fur with sharpie? Does it work?
JoAnne's and Michael's does carry fake fur by the yard. But those individual squares do work well for certain things like patches of fur. Those are kept wherever they keep the boas, feathers, etc. If you want to order some online, try theatrehouse.com. They offer a rainbow of colors (natural and neon varieties).

As for dying fake fur, it can't actually be dyed as it is a synthetic fiber. Sharpie works well for small areas or highlighting. If I need to cover a large amount, I just use colored hairspray. You just have to be sure to let it dry fully before moving it.
WizardofOzfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #40
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

The fur at JoAnns, for the most part, is fairly low quality. They have some gems every now and then, but the black and white are kinda crap, especially the long-pile. The short white should be fairly standard stuff though.
For higher quality shortpile stuff, check out the Cubby, Soft Teddy, or Seal fur here:
http://www.crscraft.com/products/vPr...Fabrics&class=

As for working with and dying fur, read up on this thread:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=142142

...colored hairspray sounds like a terrible idea.
Oshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #41
alterationsbyem

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...DID=xprd986562

This is what I make my bunny tails out of its short and easy to use
Unread 07-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #42
U-Me* Mackerel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alorelle View Post
So, a comissioner who was doing a costume for me says she can't do a fur piece of my costume, because it's not supplied to her in the summer. |:
Since thats basically the main part of it that I liked, I figured I'd do it myself but fake fur is impossible to find where I live.

Does anyone know somewhere where I could find white fake fur? Preferably short haired?
If you can't find any short-haired, get long-haired and trim it with hair clippers whilst holding it over a tray or a bin or something, to catch the fibres that fall off. ^^
Unread 07-10-2009, 01:41 AM   #43
Cosplay_Rose
Gold Rose Cosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardofOzfan39 View Post
JoAnne's and Michael's does carry fake fur by the yard. But those individual squares do work well for certain things like patches of fur. Those are kept wherever they keep the boas, feathers, etc. If you want to order some online, try theatrehouse.com. They offer a rainbow of colors (natural and neon varieties).

As for dying fake fur, it can't actually be dyed as it is a synthetic fiber. Sharpie works well for small areas or highlighting. If I need to cover a large amount, I just use colored hairspray. You just have to be sure to let it dry fully before moving it.
Ooh, Colored hair spray might be good.. If I could find it this time of year. I'll check around for sure =] Any thoughts on sealing that? I've used colored hair spray on my hair before and it rubbed off on everything I touch.

Also, I should've been more specific, the fake fur at JoAnne's does come by the yard, BUT it's complete and utter garbage (at least, as Oshi said, the black and white are). The stuff in the squares is much, much better quality.
Unread 07-10-2009, 03:15 AM   #44
WizardofOzfan39
The Scarecrow of Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosplay_Rose View Post
Ooh, Colored hair spray might be good.. If I could find it this time of year. I'll check around for sure =] Any thoughts on sealing that? I've used colored hair spray on my hair before and it rubbed off on everything I touch.

Also, I should've been more specific, the fake fur at JoAnne's does come by the yard, BUT it's complete and utter garbage (at least, as Oshi said, the black and white are). The stuff in the squares is much, much better quality.
Costume or theatre supply shops are your best bet (other than online). I'm not sure what to seal it with...maybe you could try Schlack (SP?) or some other clear top coat on a small area and see if that harms the fur too much. I used hairspray to color parts of our Cowardly Lion costume and i've never had it rub off on anything. I guess it depends on the brand and fibers in the fur.

I've only bought short-piled fur from JoAnne's in the past. I get my longer fur from my "dealer." lol.
WizardofOzfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #45
I LURV
Female Demon

I get fur from fabric land, and I've only bought it once so far (and ended up not using it because I gave up on that particular costume). It was to me seemingly high quality the long pile was 38$ a metre (white).
I LURV is offline   Reply With Quote