Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
sunnystars

Can you get arrested for cosplaying in public?

You see, i wanted to go with my friends to the mall, or the movie theater in cosplay, and then i saw some video on youtube of these kids getting in trouble for cosplaying at a mall.
sunnystars is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
ANBU101
The Anbu Kakashi

not sure on hardcore cosplaying with crazy huge costumes.i know alot of places no ninja masks..i was told to take my mask off while wearing my anbu kakashi in a mall.and got in trouble for wearing two masks.he thought i was being a smart ass lolz.

so i would say no overdone cosplays and deffinately no masks.
boba fett(beskar plate)-star wars legacy / jason solo(darth caedus)-star wars legacy / Archer-fate stay night / Futch,albert silverberg-Suikoden 3 / lelouch(zero)-code geass / testament-guilty gear / Reita(filth in the beauty,cassis,and hyena)-gazettE /
ANBU101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Cosplay_Kitten
Pandora Hearts Cupcake

Let's put it this way, if its a costume you can wear to any public place you're fine, but like ANBU101 said no masks. I've worn my costumes out in public one too many times and I've yet to be arrested which I hope never happens. And don't bring out the fake guns or weapons cause well you know thats just common sense
Cosplay_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
Immortalbeloved
Important:I have a Tower

I would say that if your costume has very large pieces to it, like tall mage hats or props like staffs or swords. To leave that at home. But if anyone complains to the mall security they can kick you out T__T who knows maybe wearing a costume is being a terrorist now too.
Unread 03-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Jeg
Aizen-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalbeloved View Post
I would say that if your costume has very large pieces to it, like tall mage hats or props like staffs or swords. To leave that at home. But if anyone complains to the mall security they can kick you out T__T who knows maybe wearing a costume is being a terrorist now too.
No not simply wearing a costume, but rather if you did an organized group or something and had multiple member of the same group. then you might be crossing the line with the terrorist paranoia.
Jeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
Darksilverhawk
Now in 3 fun colors!

As long as you're not disturbing other patrons, don't have any fake weapons, masks, or other large props, and are obey public decency laws, I don't see that they'd have grounds to arrest you, or even kick you out.

"Any problem can be solved with some sort of pin. Safety pins, bobby pins, any pins; anytime you have a problem, just use the corresponding type of pin!" - My friend. Not a cosplayer, but wise indeed.
Darksilverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
ANBU101
The Anbu Kakashi

and you dont yell out key words like DIE,BOMB,PENTAGON, things like this or even link these no no words together like DIE AMERICA,or such as..dont realy think these would go to well either
boba fett(beskar plate)-star wars legacy / jason solo(darth caedus)-star wars legacy / Archer-fate stay night / Futch,albert silverberg-Suikoden 3 / lelouch(zero)-code geass / testament-guilty gear / Reita(filth in the beauty,cassis,and hyena)-gazettE /
ANBU101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Fashwiing
picks on blond bartenders

Be smart. That's all there really is to it. If you're Summoner Yuna, no staff. If you're Axel, no chakrams. If you're Naruto, no kunai or Demon Wind shuriken or whatever. If you're Vash the Stampede or Vincent Valentine... You get the picture.

Use your (not so) common sense. If you weren't dressed up and didn't know what cosplay was, and saw Knives walking through a mall, would you go up and say his costume was cool or would you run and go get security?

... I say not so common sense simply because it just doesn't seem to be very common.

Cons I plan on attending:
Newcon 2013
ALA 2014
Sakuracon 2014
Fanime 2014
Kumoricon 2014

Am I the only one who thinks just living is sad?
Fashwiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #9
Immortalbeloved
Important:I have a Tower

Quote:
No not simply wearing a costume, but rather if you did an organized group or something and had multiple member of the same group. then you might be crossing the line with the terrorist paranoia.
Who knows,paranoid soccer moms need to protect their children from the purple Teletubby so I can only imagine the horror of seeing a person in -gasp- costume. XP
Unread 03-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
Kageh_Mygen
is still alive.

Arrested? Unlikely. Kicked out of the public place your cosplaying at? It happens (fairly often I'm told). A lot of stores / malls / places feel that "freaks" like us (note the quotation marks) are bad for business. People fear what is different, especially if they think it will prevent them from making money.

Yeah, and masks tend to be associated with "terrorism," and remember that a lot of weapons can't be carried in public and such.
Unread 03-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
Hydraskylar
...promise...

as long as you don't do fake guns, blood or anything that might give people a reason to be afraid of you or call 911, then you should be okay. And you might get kicked out if your huge costume is covering the screen in a movie theater ^_^
Hydraskylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #12
Nin-Kitty
Trickster

I cosplay in public sometimes and the only time I had difficulties was amazingly enough on halloweenXD

Citywalk doesnt allow costumes... ON HALLOWEEN! unless you PAY like 50 DOLLARS to get into their event >.< I almost didnt get in when I wore simca(my avatar cosplay) because of that which was starting to suck but then with my moms help we told them that it was what I wore everyday and that its a style in japan haha they believed it and let me inXD

god I wanted to kiiiiill security.... that is just the lamest thing ever... no costumes on halloween? dear god what is wrong with those people?

lolXD

so yeah basically if you keep the costume simple and dont take any props you'll be fine some costumes look like normal clothing anyways. Although I would not advise wearing theif rikku to the mallXD
Nin-Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #13
Jeg
Aizen-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nin-Kitty View Post
god I wanted to kiiiiill security.... that is just the lamest thing ever... no costumes on halloween? dear god what is wrong with those people?
wow that is lame. I carried my live steel katana around campus for an entire day and no one said anything to me (security wise) and i wasn't in costume.
Jeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #14
Diablobasher

Depends on the costume.

I dont know specific laws, but here inside a mall no masks/hoods/caps/anything that obscures your face (i suppose that 'could' apply to heavy make up, anything covering your face at all)

And anything resembling a weapon will get you arrested.

Other than that, you might get some dirty looks for a t-shirt with rude words, but your clothes shouldnt get you in trouble with the law.

Also any fake blood might get you into trouble if someone calls an ambulance or something for you in a panic.

Ghost in the Shell - Batou 20%
Umbrella Corp Security - 80%

Costume wishlist:
Team Fortress 2 - The Heavy (Red)
Asteroth (not the purple freak with the hammer, the Axe-ified version, bald)
Diablobasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #15
Nin-Kitty
Trickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeg View Post
wow that is lame. I carried my live steel katana around campus for an entire day and no one said anything to me (security wise) and i wasn't in costume.

its really was...

I made it into disney world wearing lacus clynes short black kimono NOT on halloween, wig and everything, and I was fine.. but I cant get to citywalk ON halloween wearing simca? wtf man>.<

next halloween I want to go back to florida and round up a bunch of cosplayers and invade citywalk.. we might get arrested though>.< *keeps dreaming*
Nin-Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote