Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Pokemon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 162 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-28-2008, 10:50 PM   #211
Midnight_Toker

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kitsu View Post
There are services like babblefish that would help with the whole language barrier...

Also why in the world would you want to whore up a character like Snorlax? That design seriously looks like a modgepodge of cat paws a tube top and a diaper in desperate need of changing...
how about because i want to? isnt that what original cosplay is about anyway?

Ohayocon (2008) Munchlax 20%
Snorlax 28%
Carnavine 15%
Midnight_Toker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2008, 11:51 PM   #212
Sakurai_Atsushi
Yaoi Guy, in a girly body

Kitsu, that's what I meant early about how people tend to over-sexualize things that don't really have sexual content or innuendo to them, and place them in situations where younger people will be exposed to them.

But then again, I don't necessarily feel qualified to criticize other people's creativity, so I try to keep my feedback to a minimum.

Although, Midnight Toker does have a valid point, cosplay is about having fun and putting your own spin on things, but at the same time, there could stand to be a limit I suppose..

I feel like I'm being fickle and like people will get upset at me for this, so i'm going to shut up now, sorry >.<!
Aizenism :3?
Sakurai_Atsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2008, 11:55 PM   #213
-Kitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Toker View Post
how about because i want to? isnt that what original cosplay is about anyway?
Difference between well done original cosplay and just slutting up a costume is to not make your goal "show off as much skin as possible". The difference between Gijinka pokemon and what you're planning is in most if not all of the designs you can look at them without the original next to it and understand the source.

What you will be doing is running around in mascot styled feet, ears, a tube top, and a soiled diaper... Anyone looking at you will not be able to figure out what the devil you are. Yes you will get attention but it won't be the good kind. It'll be the creepy guys most girls try to sneak away from or the ever popular "what the hell was she thinking" look from those of us who actually check a mirror before walking into a con.
Unread 07-29-2008, 12:53 AM   #214
Kazukii
Nyaa

Update- I'll be working on my friends Eevee, and my Sandslash here shortly. I already have the material for Eevee, and should have progress shots in a week or so. Not sure which type of wig I'll be using. Probably some short little spikey thing from Ebay..

Sandslash will be interesting. Sort of like Axel hair in Brown. o-o; Yay. xP

Commissions @
Anisazi Costuming
Kazukii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 12:57 AM   #215
Vaeira
Currently un-current

Brown Axel hair *Jumps for joy*

Future Cosplays

- Blood Elf Priest from World of Warcraft (hopefully Blizzcon 09)
- Night Elf Druid from World of Warcraft (Hopefully Blizzcon 09)
-

Note: Costumes may be switched to a alternate convention either due to lack of time or funds to finish.
Vaeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 02:07 AM   #216
Midnight_Toker

Quote:
Difference between well done original cosplay and just slutting up a costume is to not make your goal "show off as much skin as possible". The difference between Gijinka pokemon and what you're planning is in most if not all of the designs you can look at them without the original next to it and understand the source.

What you will be doing is running around in mascot styled feet, ears, a tube top, and a soiled diaper... Anyone looking at you will not be able to figure out what the devil you are. Yes you will get attention but it won't be the good kind. It'll be the creepy guys most girls try to sneak away from or the ever popular "what the hell was she thinking" look from those of us who actually check a mirror before walking into a con.

seriously, leave me alone. i couldn't care less what you or anyone else thinks, because i will be having fun, which is what i THOUGHT cosplay was about. apparently it's about acting like you're better than everyone else. my bad.

Snorlax 28%
Carnavine 15%
Unread 07-29-2008, 02:18 AM   #217
-Kitsu

Quote:
seriously, leave me alone. i couldn't care less what you or anyone else thinks, because i will be having fun, which is what i THOUGHT cosplay was about. apparently it's about acting like you're better than everyone else. my bad.
If you didn't care so much about what other people thought then why would you bother responding?

Anyway, no cosplay is not about acting like you're better than anyone else. Its a hobby which in essence is a form of fashion making it extremely subjective, its foolish to say that one would not be judged by their overall appearance just on the basis of it solely being about fun. Regardless this is more a matter of you sexing up a costume just to do it which is right up there with the Sexy No Jitsu everything Naruto (that just won't die!) that is really just an excuse to look like a cheap hooker wrapped in even cheaper satin.

If you want to run around looking like Mommy forgot to change you then by all means have fun with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurai_Atsushi View Post
Kitsu, that's what I meant early about how people tend to over-sexualize things that don't really have sexual content or innuendo to them, and place them in situations where younger people will be exposed to them.

But then again, I don't necessarily feel qualified to criticize other people's creativity, so I try to keep my feedback to a minimum.
Its a taste issue... which I get that a person is young and wants to show off a bit of a skin but really its fashion 101 if you're putting yourself out there in a trashy way you're going to be treated like trash.

Last edited by -Kitsu : 07-29-2008 at 02:27 AM.
-Kitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 02:28 AM   #218
Midnight_Toker

if i dont have a problem with it and am having fun why does it matter to you?

Snorlax 28%
Carnavine 15%
Unread 07-29-2008, 03:25 AM   #219
-Kitsu

Quote:
if i dont have a problem with it and am having fun why does it matter to you?
I believe I already stated my opinion on it, here let me quote you since you're obviously having issues seeing.

Quote:
Its a taste issue... which I get that a person is young and wants to show off a bit of a skin but really its fashion 101 if you're putting yourself out there in a trashy way you're going to be treated like trash.
An attention whore is an attention whore is an attention whore except you're not looking to get attention through skill or in a classy way. You're taking the easy way of making a cute tubby character into something a stripper wouldn't be caught dead wearing. Its obviously you're so starved for attention that even the cheap negative attention you'll get from your possible peers and the positive attention of ever pedo loving scumbag in a 10 mile radius is enough reason to forgo actually putting thought into your costume.
Unread 07-29-2008, 03:48 AM   #220
Anti Ai-chan
Hearts and Sparkles!

Ok seriously, I didn't want to butt in but this needs to stop. Midnight_Toker and -Kitsu, please take your argument to PMs. This thread is about the discussion of Gijinka, not to call out or be rude to someone. Since you both seem to have your differences on the topic, I just ask you both to remove it from this thread. Let's try to keep the forums to a friendly level, please.
3. Ridiculously ridiculous
Anti Ai-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 04:15 AM   #221
Midnight_Toker

i was perfectly happy discussing gijinka until out of no where she started being rude and making completely unnecessary and unwanted comments.

i apologize for letting her continue it.

Snorlax 28%
Carnavine 15%
Unread 07-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #222
-Kitsu

Quote:
i apologize for letting her continue it.
How exactly did you "let me continue"? Plus isn't the point of a forum to discuss things, in this case a costume. If you want to go with the whole dirty diaper look then thats up to you but can't say someone didn't say something when you end up getting comments on it.

Anyway might as well get on topic, I did one of the Pokemon from the Japanese artist back at AnimeBoston this year. The irony being Stillvisions did as well and decided about the same time as myself. Really wish I had a better picture of this...

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1638676/

At Otakon I'm also working on a much larger project involving Gijinka styled pokemon. If you're there you'll know us all when you see us.
Unread 07-29-2008, 07:05 PM   #223
Mickiala

This looks really fun. I think I'm going to try it for my first cosplay. Thanks! :]
Mickiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #224
Kazukii
Nyaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeira View Post
Brown Axel hair *Jumps for joy*

XD Hopefully it doesn't kill me.

Quote:
that makes me sad, i didnt save all of them D= and i cant read japanese so the other site is useless to me ;______;

oh.. here is my.. uh.. "design".. for the costume

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m...20/snorlax.jpg
The other site is quite easy to navigate. You pick the numbers from the side which matches to the pokemon and you'll find em.
The ones below have dates of new releases, and it shows the newer works of art.
And I don't want to add heat to the fire that thankfully is going down a bit. And don't want to seem rude, but I agree that the costume design isn't Gijinka. It's more like just 'Pokemon'. But then again you never really called it Gijinka, so eh. -shrug-

And thanks for ..er..sort of stopping the argument.
I didn't want to butt in, but I don't want to see my thread getting locked because of arguments.

Quote:
Anyway might as well get on topic, I did one of the Pokemon from the Japanese artist back at AnimeBoston this year. The irony being Stillvisions did as well and decided about the same time as myself. Really wish I had a better picture of this...

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1638676/
Oh yeah. I remember that sandshrew. It came out great! :]

Commissions @
Anisazi Costuming

Last edited by Kazukii : 07-29-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Kazukii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 06:40 PM   #225
QuiteVile
Registeredů Something

eii, I found out about that Gijinka site after I made my Gardevoir. So it looks a little different then that.
I'm trying convince my friend to make a Gallade, so we'll match
QuiteVile is offline   Reply With Quote