Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Pokemon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 166 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #811
Kunix

Hi
*sorry for jumping in ^^; i'm a forum-noob, so I figured since the post would be about gijinka I could ask here*

So, I found this thread about week or two ago, read through... 30something pages and drooled over all the designs; and decided to get a few friends of mine to do some gijinka alongside with me since at one point we were all pokenerds :3. I chose Pachirisu; my friend should be Vulpix, and I have two other friends who should be Arcanine and either Togetic or Shaymin. Me 'n Vulpix also wanna do some others later, but for now we're starting with those two.

I pretty much know what I need to do for Pachirisu, but I just wanted some opinions on the type of fabric[s]? I'll most likely end up using fleece for at least the tail, but should I use it for the socks/boot covers, shorts and shirt as well? Thanks ^^;; Also; if theres any general information or tips I should know about using fleece, or opinions for how to do the tail would be appreciated. I pretty much have a plan, but like I said, I'm a slight noob as well at this and would like to know what everyone else thinks ^^ Thanks again X3;

edit-
oh... also, as for colors; I figured I would follow the colors of the fanart rather than Pachirisu's actual colors, which are a lot lighter- white and light blue rather than a light blue and a darker blue ^^;

Last edited by Kunix : 10-18-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Kunix is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #812
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunix View Post
Hi
*sorry for jumping in ^^; i'm a forum-noob, so I figured since the post would be about gijinka I could ask here*
So, I found this thread about week or two ago, read through... 30something pages and drooled over all the designs; and decided to get a few friends of mine to do some gijinka alongside with me since at one point we were all pokenerds :3. I chose Pachirisu; my friend should be Vulpix, and I have two other friends who should be Arcanine and either Togetic or Shaymin. Me 'n Vulpix also wanna do some others later, but for now we're starting with those two.
I pretty much know what I need to do for Pachirisu, but I just wanted some opinions on the type of fabric[s]? I'll most likely end up using fleece for at least the tail, but should I use it for the socks/boot covers, shorts and shirt as well? Thanks ^^;; Also; if theres any general information or tips I should know about using fleece, or opinions for how to do the tail would be appreciated. I pretty much have a plan, but like I said, I'm a slight noob as well at this and would like to know what everyone else thinks ^^ Thanks again X3;
edit-
oh... also, as for colors; I figured I would follow the colors of the fanart rather than Pachirisu's actual colors, which are a lot lighter- white and light blue rather than a light blue and a darker blue ^^;
Welcome! Noobs are always welcomed, you're not interrupting anything. ^^; Though I feel I should tell you that it's considered courteous to include a link to a reference when you're asking for help on a certain costume, so people don't have to look it up themselves to help you out.
For Pachirisu, or really almost any gijinka, I recommend that the fabric you use on the tail match the rest of the costume. So, yes, if you use fleece for the tail, you should most likely use fleece for the jacket, shorts, and bootcovers too. But if you decide to get fleece, make sure you get some high-quality fleece, as cheaper fleece can make for awkward seams and some pretty ugly clothing. If you can't find fleece in the right colors, find either cotton or wool fleece and some fabric dye (polyester-based and synthetic fleeces will not take to dye) and dye it the right colors. It's better to have to dye your own than settle for low-quality fabric.
For the tail, I can't say I've ever made something like that. ^^; But I can say that what you should do is buy at least 4 yards of muslin and make a mock-up, or simple first draft, of the tail before diving into your fleece. (Sorry if you knew that already; always pays to make sure. ^^; )
In Progress | Vault 34 Jumpsuit | Sniper Wolf
Planned | Catwoman | Snow White
Cons | ALA | AOD | Cherry Blossom Festival | Fanime
Katsumiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #813
Aqua's Rhapsody
FIERCE!

I've been planning an Articuno version that I designed a while ago :3
Aqua's Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #814
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua's Rhapsody View Post
I've been planning an Articuno version that I designed a while ago :3
Ooh, mind showing us the design?
Unread 10-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #815
Kunix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsumiyo View Post
Welcome! Noobs are always welcomed, you're not interrupting anything. ^^; Though I feel I should tell you that it's considered courteous to include a link to a reference when you're asking for help on a certain costume, so people don't have to look it up themselves to help you out.
For Pachirisu, or really almost any gijinka, I recommend that the fabric you use on the tail match the rest of the costume. So, yes, if you use fleece for the tail, you should most likely use fleece for the jacket, shorts, and bootcovers too. But if you decide to get fleece, make sure you get some high-quality fleece, as cheaper fleece can make for awkward seams and some pretty ugly clothing. If you can't find fleece in the right colors, find either cotton or wool fleece and some fabric dye (polyester-based and synthetic fleeces will not take to dye) and dye it the right colors. It's better to have to dye your own than settle for low-quality fabric.
For the tail, I can't say I've ever made something like that. ^^; But I can say that what you should do is buy at least 4 yards of muslin and make a mock-up, or simple first draft, of the tail before diving into your fleece. (Sorry if you knew that already; always pays to make sure. ^^; )
Ah! Thanks so much XD; I feel kind of strange now not including a link; normally i remember to do that ^^;; so, uh... Here's the link now...? XD;;
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/f...people/417.jpg
</late> Bah. I really should've remembered that considering just loading the photobucket page makes my computer run slow =w='

Thank you very much for all your advice ^^ I went to Joann's and got everything I need, I think. As far as I know, the fleece is high quality, and I'm going to do a test-tail on a bunch of black fabric i got a lot of a while, while-while back that is kind of... not-ever-going-to-use simply because it feels weird and is kind of thin, and ended up not using, because for some reason I thought I could hand-sew an entire project. Silly me, I don't have the patience or attention span for it ^^;

I'll start cutting and sewing tomorrow; starting with the shorts and shirt before moving to the tail :]
Kunix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2008, 11:02 PM   #816
Aqua's Rhapsody
FIERCE!

Well, it is in my head. Not being able to draw to save my life is one of my flaws :[. But my friend and I have been planning it, and I can do my best to describe it! It is a dress, but its going to come up in the back, almost like a big bird tail. It is supposed to be an elegant one though, so whether or not it will show any leg, I don't know, but it will have long sleeves and will completely cover the top. Also, the three triangles on the forehead are going to be a tiara with that same shape. I still have a lot left to figure it out, but my friend can actually draw so when I finish, maybe I can coax her into drawing it, and then I'll post it :3
Unread 10-18-2008, 11:10 PM   #817
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

Quote:
Well, it is in my head. Not being able to draw to save my life is one of my flaws :[. But my friend and I have been planning it, and I can do my best to describe it! It is a dress, but its going to come up in the back, almost like a big bird tail. It is supposed to be an elegant one though, so whether or not it will show any leg, I don't know, but it will have long sleeves and will completely cover the top. Also, the three triangles on the forehead are going to be a tiara with that same shape. I still have a lot left to figure it out, but my friend can actually draw so when I finish, maybe I can coax her into drawing it, and then I'll post it :3
I really love that tiara idea, interested to see how you'll be doing that tail. Is this going to be a crossplay, or are you making it for a female friend?
Unread 10-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #818
Aqua's Rhapsody
FIERCE!

Crossplay. At first I wanted to make an androgynous Articuno since it is a genderless Pokemon, but I couldn't really figure out something that I liked beside the dress, xD
Unread 10-18-2008, 11:28 PM   #819
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

Quote:
Crossplay. At first I wanted to make an androgynous Articuno since it is a genderless Pokemon, but I couldn't really figure out something that I liked beside the dress, xD
Yeah, an androgynous costume for something like Articuno would be pretty difficult, since it's such an elegant and flowy design. Hope you can work up a sketch soon so we all can see! You can always just grab a fashion base off Google, print, and draw on it from there.
Unread 10-19-2008, 12:43 AM   #820
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Quote:
I can see doing an androgynous Pokemon like Articuno with some sort of kimono or robe ensemble. Maybe something akin to what the male elves in the LOTR movies wore? Those were fairly gender neutral. There's a ton of possibilities with a dress too though, it's just one of those Pokemon that could be done a lot of different ways well.

I'm still working on the Mewtwo gijinka, or still collecting materials rather. I'm waiting to see if Target ever gets in those tall skinny lilac rain boots, I don't want to paint boots or make boot covers if I don't have to. I also need to dye my fabric for the coat, and buy the short fur fabric for the tail, once I come to terms with the $25/yd price tag, I'm still mourning my finances on that one. :P

Anyways, I did make a 'lazy gijinka' Mewtwo 'cosplay', it's just a hoodie with ears and eyes on the hood, and a stitched on/in stomach panel, neck tube, and tail. It's warm and good for Sundays at cons when I'm feeling too lazy to get a real costume on. Here's that:

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1777046/

I hope there's a decent amount of Pokemon gijinka cosplays at Ohayocon in January, that'd be a fun photoshoot! ^^
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #821
Aqua's Rhapsody
FIERCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animeisha View Post
I can see doing an androgynous Pokemon like Articuno with some sort of kimono or robe ensemble. Maybe something akin to what the male elves in the LOTR movies wore? Those were fairly gender neutral. There's a ton of possibilities with a dress too though, it's just one of those Pokemon that could be done a lot of different ways well.

I'm still working on the Mewtwo gijinka, or still collecting materials rather. I'm waiting to see if Target ever gets in those tall skinny lilac rain boots, I don't want to paint boots or make boot covers if I don't have to. I also need to dye my fabric for the coat, and buy the short fur fabric for the tail, once I come to terms with the $25/yd price tag, I'm still mourning my finances on that one. :P

Anyways, I did make a 'lazy gijinka' Mewtwo 'cosplay', it's just a hoodie with ears and eyes on the hood, and a stitched on/in stomach panel, neck tube, and tail. It's warm and good for Sundays at cons when I'm feeling too lazy to get a real costume on. Here's that:

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1777046/

I hope there's a decent amount of Pokemon gijinka cosplays at Ohayocon in January, that'd be a fun photoshoot! ^^

I actually like the kimono idea too.
Unread 10-19-2008, 11:20 PM   #822
tsumikuroi
Call Me 'Sora'

Well, I've bought fabric for Espeon. I'm thinking of making a wa-loli style. It's going to be rather simple, except for the obi (which I'll probably make from a rather interesting knitted eyelet cloth) and probably a few spotted designs along the hems and sleeves.
Unread 10-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #823
seraphik
optimus prime

i'm just putting the finishing touches on my kricketune costume- though i modified the design slightly by making the skirt fuller with a tulle petticoat, adding a ridiculously large bow & tails to the back, making the beige panel larger- but it was such a cute costume i couldn't help myself |DDD
seraphik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2008, 01:44 AM   #824
tsumikuroi
Call Me 'Sora'

Quote:
I actually like the kimono idea too.
When I thought "Articuno" and "robes," I thought of something out of a costume drama (or Fushigi Yuugi). It would be awesome to have flowing Chinese inspired robes with extremely full sleeves (maybe even cut to look like feathered wings) and an elaborate headdress that resembles Articuno's crest.

I attached the manga scan that inspired me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kijinyaminomatsuei.jpg (177.9 KB, 0 views)
Unread 10-20-2008, 05:55 AM   #825
Aqua's Rhapsody
FIERCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsumikuroi View Post
When I thought "Articuno" and "robes," I thought of something out of a costume drama (or Fushigi Yuugi). It would be awesome to have flowing Chinese inspired robes with extremely full sleeves (maybe even cut to look like feathered wings) and an elaborate headdress that resembles Articuno's crest.

I attached the manga scan that inspired me...
OMG!!!!! I love the wing/sleeve idea!!! Curse you people giving me so many ideas; I don't know what to do anymore!!! xD