Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Newbies

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Raikou-Neko

Costume Patterns

I'm not really new to cosplay, seeing as I have costumes (that I did NOT make myself, however). But awhile back, I was planning on making a costume, though I did not have a pattern. The lady at the store told me that I didn't necessarily need a pattern if I had clothes that somewhat resembled those I was trying to make. I flipped through 4 or 5 pages on the threads that looked as if might help me but I haven't seen anything like this on the forum.

And so my question: is it possible to do what the lady at the store told me? Or do I need to find a pattern to make the costume?

(For those interested, I'm attempting to make Hinata from Naruto Shippuuden. pic: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/na...-Shippuden.jpg)
Anime Mid-Atlantic 2007 (Full attendence)
Anime USA 2007 (Full attendence)
Otakon 2008 (Full Attendence)
Anime USA 2008 (Partial Attendence, Fri and Sat)
Otakon 2009 (Full Attendence)
Anime USA 2009 (Full Attendence)
Otakon 2010 (Full Attendence + gophered)
Anime USA 2010 (Full Attendence)

Next Convention
Otakon 2011

Unread 03-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
adr_rine
Mwahahaha

The store lady was right.

Although I don't know the character, the clothes she wears seem to be things that can be easily constructed from regular clothes with some small 'modifications' that you can sew on by hand.

For instance, you can get a grey sweatshirt with a hood that's about the length of what she's wearing, and a purple-ish t-Shirt of the same length. You can cut away the t-shirt's sleeves, hem their cut edge and sew them onto the ends of the sweatshirt sleeves (to make the purple cuff things she has).
You can then take the rest of the t-shirt, hem the cut edges of the sleeve holes, cut the front of it down the middle and hem those cut edges too, and then sew this hacked shirt onto the grey sweatshirt (pass the sweatshirt's sleeves through the t-shirt's sleeves first!). It'll look more or less like you bought it with the purple bits

The pants you can probably get really easily. They're just sweatpants that are a tad too short... and the bandage thing is just a white strip of facric that you can get by hacking up a white t-shirt or something... add blue sandals, a goth net shirt thing and you're almost done!

The metal plate would be a bit tricky... I'd just hack up a dark blue shirt for the colar the plate is on (make sure the colar you produce is something you can easily pass your head through - use a shirt with a stretchy material), then build the plate out of cardboard and aluminum foil (with artistic use of a black marker) and paste this 'metal' plate onto the hacked colar.

I hope this helps... I can't say it'll be the most elegant costume in the world, but it'll be cheap, recognizable and relatively easy to make skill-wise...
Unread 03-22-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
Fire Lily
Jack of Most Trades

It's very easy to use clothes you already have for patterns. Start with the hoodie, for instance. If you have one laying around, spread it flat on the floor or table and look at it. Make note of where the seam lines and hems are, where the fabric meets, where the zipper or pockets are, etc. Then, take a piece of muslin or other cheap fabric and place it over the various parts of the hoodie (the back, front, sleeves, and hood) and trace over it onto the muslin. This will give you a template for your pattern. Remember to give yourself seam allowances of 5/8 inch on all the edges so you have room to sew the pieces together. Then cut out your piece, sew it together, fit it to yourself, and make adjustments. Once you have the muslin completely fitted and however you want it, you can take it apart and use the muslin pieces as your pattern pieces for your real fabric.

You can do this with pants, shirts, skirts, pretty much anything you own, and make your own patterns for new pieces. Also, check out Threads Magazine online...they have great online articles for sewing. Try these two for now:
http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00220.asp
http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/tvt020.asp

www.firelilycosplay.com
Unread 03-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
Dark_FluffyChan
The Quiet One

For my first costume (which was also Shippuden Hinata) I bought a easy to make hoodie pattern and pj pants pattern. They were both very easy to follow. I would go for the patterns labeled easy, if not useing a pattern doesn't work out for you. ^_^ Good luck with your costume!
Sam - Trick 'r Treat
Gertrude Yorkes - Runaways

Con's Attending!
Fan Expo 2011
Unread 03-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
Raikou-Neko

Thank you all so much! I think I really have something to go by now. -^.^- I'll bet my costume will be passable, at the very least. XD
Anime Mid-Atlantic 2007 (Full attendence)
Anime USA 2007 (Full attendence)
Otakon 2008 (Full Attendence)
Anime USA 2008 (Partial Attendence, Fri and Sat)
Otakon 2009 (Full Attendence)
Anime USA 2009 (Full Attendence)
Otakon 2010 (Full Attendence + gophered)
Anime USA 2010 (Full Attendence)

Next Convention
Otakon 2011

Last edited by Raikou-Neko : 03-23-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Unread 12-27-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
KonaGirl

I need help on constructing a costumes her are pics of them
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/p...8eba0_full.jpg
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...let_clover.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...letdaimond.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/p...jisaki/244.jpg
Unread 12-28-2008, 01:56 AM   #7
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

If you eventually want to start using patterns and making stuff from scratch, a good way to start is by making stuff for any old baby or Barbie dolls you have lying around. If you don't have any, you can pick a couple up at your local dollar store. The patterns for dolls usually have patterns for several garments and a single yard of fabric goes a long way.

You can experiment, make mistakes and learn about clothing construction for very little investment before you take the plunge to make stuff for yourself.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett