Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 03-22-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
TR Rose
Meowing About

Sewing spandex, dropped stitches, argh!

I've spent the last hour trying in vain to sew spandex for a Sailor Scout costume.

The machine has dropped more than half of the zigzag stitches, giving me a straight seam with big gaps of missed stitches. I need to use zigzag stitches for the pattern to make the seams and to overlock the edges. While sewing, the thread gapped out above the needle. It did this even when adjusting the tension on the machine.

I tried rethreading the machine. I switched out the ballpoint needle for an all-purpose needle. I tried different thread and a different kind of spandex. I tried changing to a straight stitch instead of a zigzag. Still problematic - dropped stitches, loose threads, and gapping thread. The bobbin jammed up several times as well for good measure.

The only thing that worked was using broadcloth in the machine and sewing that. The broadcloth sewed beautifully, all nice zigzags and no puckering.

I've sewn spandex like this before and never had this problem. Can anyone help me out? Any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong? Does my machine need maintenance or a different kind of needle, maybe a special thread?
• 10th Doctor
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
Varnani
MY CABBAGES

I know this will probably sound really DURRR if you've been doing it, but...have you adjusted the tension? My machine would do the same thing if I didn't adjust it.
Varnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
TR Rose
Meowing About

It seems to be working a bit better now. My husband had adjusted the bobbin tension and I think that was part of the problem. Took some trial and error but I think it's fixed.

Thanks!
• 10th Doctor
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote