Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 122 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 02-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #16
locofoco

Would this work for a white coverall made of 65% polyester and 35% cotton to be dyed yellow?

And how did washing the fabric in the washer turn out?
locofoco is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #17
Annette
Annette1030

ya it would work - it'd work even better since there's some cotton in there, which takes dye easier than polyester does.

I'm not sure what it's like once washed in the washing machine as I'm afraid to try that.
Annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #18
_jedi
I've got a jar of dirt!

I've recently been looking around for poly dye and I ran across this

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/5590684-AA.shtml

The reviews sound basically positive, though I've yet to try the dye myself. It sounds simple to use with both the washing machine and stovetop, though the general consensus on various sites is that if you're using it to dye polyester, you should definitely use the stovetop. And should be sure to get iDye Poly.

I don't know if anyone here can vouch for its reliability, but I thought you guys would like the info.
Unread 03-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #19
Annette
Annette1030

Wow - way cheaper than most! DEFINITELY use the hot water - it's a pain to work with, but heat is what will make the fabric take the dye to begin with. If you used the stovetop with rit dye it would probly have a similar effect.
Unread 03-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #20
VickyBunnyAngel
Puchuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jedi View Post
I've recently been looking around for poly dye and I ran across this

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/5590684-AA.shtml

The reviews sound basically positive, though I've yet to try the dye myself. It sounds simple to use with both the washing machine and stovetop, though the general consensus on various sites is that if you're using it to dye polyester, you should definitely use the stovetop. And should be sure to get iDye Poly.

I don't know if anyone here can vouch for its reliability, but I thought you guys would like the info.
I can vouch for idye Poly. I work for a dye store, and my co-worker was the lucky one who got to sample it and she said it worked great considering that results from procion mx, dylon, rit, acids etc were a bit varied or ineffective on polyester

Emerald Scorpion Creations
2012 Upcoming conventions: G-Anime, Katsucon, Con-G, Anime North, Otakuthon, Fan Expo, Youmacon

Costumes 2012: Yuuko (xxxHolic), Miku (Alice Human Sacrifice Vocaloid), V-13 (Blazblue), Homura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica), Ninian (Fire Emblem), La Noire Musketeer (Granado Espada)

Watch me on deviantART: http://vickybunnyangel.deviantart.com/

Join me at Costume Con 32 in Toronto!
VickyBunnyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #21
Syrenrei

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyBunnyAngel View Post
I can vouch for idye Poly. I work for a dye store, and my co-worker was the lucky one who got to sample it and she said it worked great considering that results from procion mx, dylon, rit, acids etc were a bit varied or ineffective on polyester
I am guessing that when she dyed it she was able to use a stove-top method or the equivalent?

I have some beige, 100% polyester suiting fabric (very light-weight; I believe the label also said something like 'papyrus crepe') that I want to give a twinge of yellow too. I was looking at the iDye Poly yellow and was wondering if I put my washing machine on hot and used that if I could get a lighter yellow hue to work on it. The color I want to jump to, theoretically, wouldn't use much dye. I am not going to have my heart crushed if it comes out a bit too dark either.

Are there any dyes that work in just offering a light coloring on polyester?
Syrenrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2009, 10:53 PM   #22
Syrenrei

Ah, I meant to add that I am dying three yards of fabric, so I am looking for something that works for a larger quantity, if possible. Would a shower be hot enough, or would dying really just require boiling water on a stove?
Syrenrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 01:47 AM   #23
urmudesai

basic for polyester

polyester is a hydrophobic fiber.if u want to dye polyester fabric,u have to use swelling agent with dye like methyl salisylate.and u can get depth also but u have to use pressure cooker for dyeing the fabric.
simple way for dyeing any type of quality do one thing.take soft binder,add plastisizer more than 8% and water + any pigment colour,sprey it on fabric or dip it in liquid,and allow it to dry curing temprature is 160 degree centigread .wash in cold and hot water with soap and soda treatment.
urmudesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #24
Evie22

Sorry to post on a old thread, but I was trying this and it worked out well. I was wondering though would it be best to LAY IT DOWN or HANG IT UP to dry? I was scared the dye would just like slide off. =P
ARC GURREN LAGANN!!!!
Evie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #25
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

I'm so glad this thread was started again because I too have been looking at methods to dye fabric. I'm looking to make Belle's yellow ballgown and for the base of it I've been looking at Casa satin but it isn't yellow enough for the version I want to make. So glad this is here. But I do have a question. For the amount of fabric I will need to dye (bodice + a full ballroom skirt) I don't think stovetop will be a possible course of action for me. Would the washing machine set on hot work just as well? I'm not looking for a super bright crazy yellow. Just more yellow then the pale yellow Casa carries. Anyone done the washer method with the iDye Poly?
LadySasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #26
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySasha View Post
I'm so glad this thread was started again because I too have been looking at methods to dye fabric. I'm looking to make Belle's yellow ballgown and for the base of it I've been looking at Casa satin but it isn't yellow enough for the version I want to make. So glad this is here. But I do have a question. For the amount of fabric I will need to dye (bodice + a full ballroom skirt) I don't think stovetop will be a possible course of action for me. Would the washing machine set on hot work just as well? I'm not looking for a super bright crazy yellow. Just more yellow then the pale yellow Casa carries. Anyone done the washer method with the iDye Poly?
Unfortunately, both attempts I tried with the iDye Poly in the sink and then washing machine failed. I had even turned up the temperature on our hot water heater, but it only worked with the stove top method, with the water boiling then simmering. I'm sure it varies a bit from fabric to fabric, but I think the near boiling temperature is essential for polyester since that's how they color it when manufacturing.

They do make very large pots, and also, I would think if you were exact with the water/dye ratios and temperature each time, you could dye the fabric in batches and it would match. That's a big pain in the ass though, my sympathies!
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #27
wickedknightx

couldnt you essentially boil 4 large pots of water on the stove then pour them in the washer and start it after it after the fill cycle so it doesnt over flow?
wickedknightx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #28
disgustipated

ok so im just going through this now...ive making a costume that needed a flesh colored body suit and all the costume stores had left were white body suits so im dyeing this white one with 2 packs of tan and a touch of a rose pack.

im still letting mine dry right now but, a couple things to note if youre boiling this alcohol on the stove:

hate to state the obvious but YOU ARE BOILING ALCOHOL, A FLAMMABLE SUBSTANCE ON A GAS STOVE FUCKING BE CAREFUL! my pot burst into flames twice and i was extra careful because i was expecting that to happen. to douse the flames just put a cover on the pot'o'flames to prevent oxygen from feeding the fire and youre ok, just dont panic or stand over top of it, cap it.
disgustipated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #29
Annette
Annette1030

Hi everyone, figured I'd pop in with some updates - I figured this should help answer some of the recurring questions I'm getting.

1) I don't want to say whether my method is best because it's deff not. If you're very particular about the shade, it may save you a ton of money and time if you simply pick up a packet of "iDye" meant particularly for polyester fabrics (I think they have like 40 shades total, but only 8 are meant for Polyester in specific so read the label). Otherwise here's a couple other tips...

2) I'm seeing alcohol versus boiling water makes no difference. So save your money (and dont risk your safety) and just use water.

3) 100% polyester will not hold color unless you have heat, and even then the color will be extremely light because you are only "staining" the exterior of the fabric molecules (versus dying in which the pigment penetrates the molecules). Therefore, I would suggest using A VERY EXTREME colored RIT dye (black RIT to dye polyester fabric gray, for Belle's ballgown - yellow with a pinch of orange) in a pot of boiling water to achieve what you're attempting. Use as little water as possible to JUST cover the garment. Pour a LITTLE dye in (you can always intensify it with more dye later), allow pre-wettened garment soak 15 mins, then remove and examine. If it's too light, remove the fabric, add more dye accordingly, then allow fabric to soak another 15 mins. Once desired shade is reached, run under cool water and rinse out as much dye as you can before running through the laundry regularly with your "darks".

4) It's also obviously not a bad idea to "test" on a scratch piece of the same material to determine just how dark/light this dye will wind up the particular material you have.

5) For a HUGE costume like Belle's BallGown - it would make things easier if you cut out the pattern pieces first before putting them into the pot of boiling water.

Hope this helps!
Unread 04-13-2012, 02:41 AM   #30
LurveSmores

I have something made out of 95% polyester and 5% spandex solid jacquard.
How do i go about dying it? Since dying polyester needs heat and heat will damage spandex.
Btw the material is all white and getting it dyed to a light colour will do for me.

Thxz in advance!! =)

Last edited by LurveSmores : 04-13-2012 at 02:53 AM.
LurveSmores is offline   Reply With Quote