Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 106 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-15-2012, 02:53 AM   #31
ruste0805

Hiya I have dyed my top and looks brilliant but how do I get rid of the smell without losing the dye? Thanks
ruste0805 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #32
~Cherry~

sorry if this is, once again, "necroposting", but I'm really curious- the alcohol, did you just dip it in cold? I mean, you can't heat it or anything, yea? Because I'm trying to do this, using 91% rubbing alcohol, and I followed the directions to a T, but my garment is barely even affected! Am I doing this wrong?
~Cherry~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #33
Umbamabumba
The Overlord of Fire

Sorry, if this is necroposting, but I wanted to dye an old acolyte robe made out of 100% polyester, but I was wondering how you would dye the robe using the stove top method without setting the robe ablaze? since I know that I wouldn't be able to use our new washing machine to dye the material. Furthermore I was wondering how much dye you need to add to the material in order to dye the fabric pure black, and not a light grey color?
Unread 01-31-2014, 07:56 PM   #34
Satine

I have used idye poly to make non-roll elastic a super intense vibrant yellow with just very hot water (boiled water in a kettle and poured into a container with an equal amount of hot tap water) but had difficulty dyeing to a rich black with lots of boiling and the correct amount.

I probably could have overdyed the deep green with more dye (I find for the really deep dark tones like navy or black require two to three times as much dye as is recommended regardless of the dye) but didn't.
I hope the attachment worked, I swear I am able to post photos on some browsers but not others...

So that yellow is actually even brighter. So jewel tones are a good and relatively easy level to get to really deep dark, not so much- more dye more effort
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0863.jpg (85.2 KB, 0 views)
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #35
mermaid01
jaclynrcass

Help!

Ok so sorry for bringing back this thread, but I have a %100 light blue polyester fabric, but I want to dye it white. What method can I use?
mermaid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #36
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid01 View Post
Ok so sorry for bringing back this thread, but I have a %100 light blue polyester fabric, but I want to dye it white. What method can I use?
Pretty sure that ain't gonna happen. Sorry..The rule of thumb when dying is that you can always dye darker. You can NOT dye lighter.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #37
allmostanyone

@Those who used iDye, how did you set the color?
Can I put it in the washer with cold water and then tumble dry it?
allmostanyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #38
elizabethcb

I used iDye poly to dye a polyester/nylon shirt. I was going for olive/army green. There's two packets in each package: one is the powder in a dissolvable bag and the other is a setting agent or "color intensifier". Since the poly dye has only basic colors, I had to mix. Green with a bunch of yellow and a tich of red to muddy it.

I bought a goodwill enamel pot. It's a good size for a shirt, but not big enough for a dress. Once the water was hot and about to boil. I plopped the green and yellow bags in, and then I cut open the red inside a ziploc bag so the powder wouldn't go all over the place. I then put in a bit of the red.

Unfortunately, nylon *loves* red and hates yellow so the nylon came out freaking purple. The polyester came out the exact color I wanted. Since the polyester part is on the inside, that didn't help. I boiled it 30 minutes more just to see if I could get it more to the color that the dye looked like it should be. I at least got it brown.

Round two (with a new shirt) was better. I used a green base, about a forth of a baggy of brown, a tich of orange, and only 1 package of the color intensifier. After 30 minutes it turned a lovely shade of mossy green. Not quite army, but I was afraid of pushing the orange. Yay!

I then hand rinsed it in my (I'm assuming) stainless steel sink, added some 7th generation laundry detergent and hand washed it in hot water. I let it dry overnight in my bathtub which left stains (the stains are easily removed by spraying bleach and letting it sit). Today, I washed it in the washer on cold with the same laundry detergent and am now air drying it. It is the same wonderful color just a touch lighter since it's dry.

(I also tossed in some olive iDye for natural products and boiled some poly/cotton socks. They turned out a much darker olive green)

I've left the dye in the enamel pot with a lid to see if I can reuse it.

The smell is still there. I would love to use a smelly fabric softener/dryer sheet, but the nylon is wicking. I'm very curious if the dye bleeds on my skin. I'll let everyone know.
elizabethcb is offline   Reply With Quote