Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Unread 06-16-2003, 11:48 PM   #1
Cait

Music in the Halls....

Anyone know if it's ok to.. um... perform some music in the halls? Like during registration on Wednesday? *innocent grin, hides violin behind back*
Cait is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2003, 11:54 PM   #2
MikigamiTokiya

i think it should be ok. We were planning on doing some para para at sometime and that for sure involves music so go for it ^^
Unread 06-17-2003, 02:28 AM   #3
Psychotic Jei
Quality Scr-what.

I've seen both live and prerecorded stuff being played in the halls.. so ^_^
Psychotic Jei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2003, 07:56 PM   #4
Sleepy
Reticent Man

Is there a piano anywhere? I would love to share my musical talents, but my instrument of choice isn't really portable.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2003, 09:26 PM   #5
Maryssa
Dragon Queen
STAFF OF d00m

I dont know if you are just allowed to do something like that anywhere without getting approval. I know the 2 girls Ramen and Rice played orchestral anime songs in the halls but they were also at opening ceremonies performing there so I assume they got some type of permission from staff.
Maryssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2003, 10:03 PM   #6
Cait

Quote:
I dont know if you are just allowed to do something like that anywhere without getting approval. I know the 2 girls Ramen and Rice played orchestral anime songs in the halls but they were also at opening ceremonies performing there so I assume they got some type of permission from staff.
*nods* That's what I'm wondering about. So... what? Walk up to random staff person and ask? Email them? Ask the hotels? Are there any guidelines about something like this at all?
Unread 06-22-2003, 05:28 AM   #7
Kira_Yamato
GET OUT OF HERE STALKER

Actually, there was somebody in the halls playing violin @ last AX! There was also a guy on the sax at another time.
Kira_Yamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2003, 07:09 AM   #8
Al Bundy
Reverend Al

Anime Expo will be providing entertainment at the pre reg line including a face painter and other carnival type stuff, including music.
Al Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2003, 01:29 PM   #9
Cait

Quote:
Anime Expo will be providing entertainment at the pre reg line including a face painter and other carnival type stuff, including music.
On all days?
Unread 06-22-2003, 01:43 PM   #10
BlueLady
slightly distracted

go for it, its a violin not a full rock band. Hee hee you could set out your case and make some cash while everyones waiting.
Unread 06-22-2003, 02:19 PM   #11
Maryssa
Dragon Queen
STAFF OF d00m

If you have questions, I suggest goign to the site and emailing staff from there instead of waiting till you are at the con to find a random staff member who probably wouldnt have a clue.

Also remember that the hotel staff might also have something to do with it, as you are on their property. They may not allow people to play music in the common areas. In all honesty it can get a little obnoxious when people bring stereos or laptops for the sole purpose of doing parapara in the halls to show off or whatever...there are some really annoying guys who do this at a few cons and it really bothers a lot of people. Spend the time enjoying the anime con!
Maryssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2003, 08:50 PM   #12
Sleepy
Reticent Man

I've e-mailed AX's publicity, cosplay and asked on the AX message board about using a piano. Haven't gotten back an answer by e-mail. Heck I've even reg. for a special performance in the Masquerade. Still nothing. I would play stuff that would make any Final Fantasy fan go nuts. (uh-oh. revealing my music I am)

Last edited by Sleepy : 06-22-2003 at 11:35 PM.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2003, 05:34 PM   #13
AngelJibrille
PMX Cosplay Mistress

Music @ Anime Expo

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleepy
I've e-mailed AX's publicity, cosplay and asked on the AX message board about using a piano. Haven't gotten back an answer by e-mail. Heck I've even reg. for a special performance in the Masquerade. Still nothing. I would play stuff that would make any Final Fantasy fan go nuts. (uh-oh. revealing my music I am)
Hiiii tis Marisa, the AX Cosplay Events Manager.

I did some investiagtion into the piano thing (sorry I haven't had a chance to reply, I've been insanely busy) and unforutunately it's simply too expensive to try to get a piano into the rooms where we would want performances (Main Events in the ACC).

With Ramen & Rice (who will be back for AX2004 ^_^) it was easy to set up the stage for the violin & cello... not so with a piano, I'm afraid.

We were very sad that Ramen & Rice couldn't make it this year, due to other obligations of the personal variety, but I spoke with them at Fanime and over e-mail and they are definitely planning on AX2004.

If you are interested in playing something a little more portable (keyboard, violin, cello, sax, guitar, something like that), and you would like to perform during Masquerade seating, please come and find me (Marisa) at the Anime Expo Masquerade Registration Desk sometime on Thursday (July 3). I'd definitely like to hear an audition of sorts ^_^, not to be mean... We knew about Ramen & Rice's quality performances ahead of time from their "audition" of sorts playing for the lines at Fanime so we knew it would be a perfect match in advance. We definitely wouldn't put someone on the stage without prior knowledge of his/her skill level. For example, we had some great sax players at Anime Expo New York who we heard in the halls and were dazzled by ^_^ and our chocobo guitar player also gave us a preview.

If we are suitably impressed, and you would agree to perform during seating for the Mini-Masquerade & Masquerade, I can work on something as payment for your services.

That's about it ^_^; Sorry we can't accomodate on the piano, I did try...

Marisa Price
AX2003 Cosplay Events Manager

Last edited by AngelJibrille : 06-23-2003 at 06:29 PM.
AngelJibrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2003, 07:00 PM   #14
Cait

*jaw drop* Well, I doubt I'm of quite that calibur... (Only eight years under my belt!) ...but as long as we have the attention of a staff member...

You mention other people performing in the halls. For these more mobile instruments, the convention people are ok with this? I understand hotel policy might differ, but there's nothing you guys have against a con-goer doing a little street performing?
Unread 06-23-2003, 07:10 PM   #15
AngelJibrille
PMX Cosplay Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Cait
*jaw drop* Well, I doubt I'm of quite that calibur... (Only eight years under my belt!) ...but as long as we have the attention of a staff member...

You mention other people performing in the halls. For these more mobile instruments, the convention people are ok with this? I understand hotel policy might differ, but there's nothing you guys have against a con-goer doing a little street performing?
Actually, we are encouraging it this year. We even plan on having "line entertainment" that we are bringing in ourselves.

Seriously, even if you are only comfortable playing a few pieces, come on over & talk to me about it. We might be able to find 2 - 3 people willing to do a few songs each, somewhat like what we did at AXNY. We aren't expecting "experts", all I'm really saying is that we don't want someone to get up there and play chop-sticks off-key ^_-

Edited to add:
I guess I should mention that you need to use common sense if you do play in public. Pick a public location, but not one that will cause problems. Examples: Don't do it right next to Hotel Registration or AX Registration Desks (they are going to be upset if they can't hear the people checking in), don't do it in hotel hallways (might upset the guests), don't block public throughfares, don't do it in or in front of an "official AX room" (like the LP rooms, etc.) without asking permission from the room coordinator. I don't know, it's mostly common sense in my opinion However, I should probably say it so I don't get slapped by other staffers later. (^_^)

Thanks for your interest

Marisa Price
AX2003 Cosplay Events Manager

Last edited by AngelJibrille : 06-23-2003 at 07:17 PM.
AngelJibrille is offline   Reply With Quote