Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Unread 06-17-2003, 04:02 AM   #1
SohjiroX
X marks the spot

Retiring after AX

I've been getting alot of people saying there stopping this and that at AX like its a new years resolution....I'm actually retiring from DDR at AX, going at with a bang, meaning, no heart condition will have to wait, I'm going to finish all the songs and more....anyone else retireing anything?

Planned: All Planned for Sakura Con, Fanime, and AX of 09
Heinkel Wolfe - Hellsing Ultimate
Young Walter - Hellsing Dawn
Fox - Secret
Kyo - KOf 98-06
Steve - RECV
Soujiro Seta - Kenshin
Juji - Gun grave overdose
SohjiroX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-17-2003, 11:42 AM   #2
Cait

Well, unless there's a miracle with organization, I'm retiring from AX in general after this year... at least for a few years. I've said it before, and I'm not trying to be "rude", but last year I didn't feel like I got my money's worth there. ($600 for one weekend before food and dealer's room expenses, not to mention the money I could have earned working that week is a bit much for a new college student) And, I am thinking about using that allociated cash next year towards something different like Otakon, etc.
Cait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2003, 12:20 PM   #3
Aoshi Shinomori
Bishounen Senshi

yeah i hear u Cait. i think i spend alot at AX and when u think about it and ask yourself " was it worth it" sometimes u think what else could u do with that money? well i didnt spend as much as 600.. more like 500 but i got to meet watsuki last year. this year im going on cheap.
Aoshi Shinomori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2003, 03:21 AM   #4
RoseDuelist
CHS Anime Club President

I'm retiring from buying tickets with "friends" 6 months in advance to reduce the chance of breaking up with those friends 2 1/2 weeks before AX... @_@ Man I'm bitter today... sorry.. *goes off to make a rant about it*
Unread 06-18-2003, 05:23 AM   #5
Raider3
That Black Jack Guy

Frankly, I didn't expect to return to AX, and wasn't planning to until next year - 4th of July is a pain to get off at my work - I actually like when it falls on a Saturday or Sunday.

Anyway, got talked into coming to AX this year, haven't been down there since 1999 (First time I drove across the state for an anime con - whee!), and I assume it's going to be 10 times more chaos as it was back then. (And I thought it was too big in 1999!) Nonetheless, I still had a good time when I wasn't sweltering outside, either to and from inn three blocks away, or in Masquerade Seating Line From Hell '99.

Oh, God, what am I getting myself into?
Raider3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2003, 12:27 PM   #6
lupineloli
cyberlola

I'm retiring from everything after AX.
lupineloli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2003, 12:50 PM   #7
Cait

Quote:
Oh, God, what am I getting myself into?
*smiles and nods knowingly*
Cait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2003, 07:14 AM   #8
tenkan
!kawaii shinkansyo

Theoretically... I'm retiring from AX staff... assuming no friends ask me to stay on in their deparments... x_e;

I've been staffing Anime Expo for 10 years and I'd more or less decided when I came on boad that I'd stop at 10 years. We'll see if that happens... I sorta like being on staff... despite the stress of it all.
tenkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2003, 01:45 AM   #9
Shadra D
Second to Nun

Yes, you'll retire and they'll probably recruit me for moderation staff or something.

Watch it happen.

Really.
Shadra D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2003, 02:33 AM   #10
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Quote:
Originally posted by lupineloli
I'm retiring from everything after AX.
Really? O_o Are there still going to be j-rock events next year at all then?
Yui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2003, 05:45 PM   #11
AngelJibrille
PMX Cosplay Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Yui
Really? O_o Are there still going to be j-rock events next year at all then?
It somewhat depends on the turnout for this year's J-Rock Events. I'm expecting a big turnout, but it's been made obvious to me (and Lupineloli) that J-Rock isn't on the priority list at AX... both she & I have been fighting for the event to continue the past 2 years. The lack of attendance at Fanime's Gakufest this past weekend didn't help much, there is a lot of speculation running rampant right now that J-Rock is a dying cause and should be pruned from anime conventions. I must admit (as the cosplay manager) that I'm really worried that if attendance at our J-Rock Events seems to falter, that I will be asked to let it go for AX2004 due to the expense of having the event.

So, please, everyone, come! Really! If you want J-Rock to continue to be a prominent part of Anime Expo, you really need to support the event.

There is obviously going to be no possible way to replace Lupineloli, she's the best J-Rock Coordinator there is, hands down. However, due to her retirement, and if there is interest enough this year to continue on next year, I will start taking submissions for the position for AX2004 sometime after AX2003 is over.

Sorry to be a semi-downer, it's been a weird week and as always I'm depressed that Lupineloli is going to retire (*cry* ;_; ).

Marisa
AX2003 Cosplay Events Manager
AngelJibrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2003, 06:09 PM   #12
LionBoogy
Wesside Thugz R' Us, yo.
usagichan.com

I said I'd stop at 5 years...
I said I'd stop at 10 years...
I said I'd stop at 15 years... oh wait, AX isn't 15 years old yet... hehe

- Lionel
LionBoogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2003, 06:53 PM   #13
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Lack of attendance at Gakufest might've been because you had to pay seperately from the con. o_X AX's J-rock events are still free, right?

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: Anime Los Angeles (January 9-11)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2003, 07:06 PM   #14
AngelJibrille
PMX Cosplay Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Michi
Lack of attendance at Gakufest might've been because you had to pay seperately from the con. o_X AX's J-rock events are still free, right?
Yup! Absolutely free ^_^

Enjoy!
AngelJibrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2003, 07:47 PM   #15
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

"there is a lot of speculation running rampant right now that J-Rock is a dying cause and should be pruned from anime conventions" - what?!
That's absolutely unacceptable. I can't imagine how that might happen, but that only wants to make sure I *only* vk cosplay in the future. If I can help you guys promote proper j-rock recognition next year, lemme know. Hopefully the PLC soccer game Friday night will generate -some- awareness and interest...
Yui is offline   Reply With Quote