Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Newbies

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
yoko102308
Back by popular demand

Exclamation Edward Elric cosplay help??

For my first real cosplay, I am doing Edo Elric from FMA. The costume itself is easy except for:

The crucified serpent on the coat
The boots
Automail

If now anyway to make them please tell me! Someone suggested an iron on for the Crucified Serpent on Ed's coat. What ever I do, I want it to last *Can be washed*.

For the boots..I honestly don't know..

As for the automail,I have yet to find the perfect tutorial to make it.

????????

Cosplays:

Maria/Yuuki {Vampire Knight}
Eureka *& ball gown*{Eureka 7}
Kairi *Kingdom Hearts versions and my own design*(Kingdom Hearts)
Pokemon Trainer

Peach State Cosplay "Don't dream it, BE it!"

My DA ++

Unread 04-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
KitsuneRenaChan
Uguuu...

*read your sig* You went to JAMPcon? Me too. x3

As for the cosplay.. I agree with whoever told you about the iron-on Flamel Symbol. I've seen plenty of them on ebay..
Unread 04-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Tess
Cupcake Rufflebutt

Depending upon what type of fabric you've used for your jacket [I recommend a medium-weight poly-cotton], I'd suggest simply stenciling & painting the flamel onto the back of the jacket. Fabric paint washes well. Iron-ons won't last through washings.

As for the boots, what are you confused about? They are fairly straight-forward and there are two methods I can suggest. Purchase a pair of black snow boots with a nice big sole. The first [and easiest] method is to find a pair of boots that can simply be cut down and split open down the front. You can then add the white manga detailing [if you like], paint the soles red, and add the buckles. The second method is to construct a boot cover to slip over the boot. There are tons of boot cover tutorials around, so I'd recommend doing a search of the forums.

I haven't looked at too many automail tutorials. It's something that I've not yet experimented with for my Edward cosplay. [I don't want it to look bad, so I'm waiting until I've built up enough experience w/ armor-making; until then, simply wearing gloves on both my hands is perfectly valid XD]. I'd recommend looking into craft foam armor tutorials, as I've found it very easy and cheap to work with and obtain quality results.

Good luck!

@-->--- Tess

deviantartacpfacebook

Last edited by Tess : 04-07-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Unread 04-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
blackcat523
Rum is always the answer

The Flamel cross on the back of my alphonse jacket was done with fabric paint. Once you take an iron to fabric paint it heat bonds it to the fabric and won't wash out. I have a link to a really nice photo of it.

(The Oroborus is the symbol the Homoclui have, the dragon eating it's tail. The symbol Ed and Al have on their jackets is a version of the flamel cross)

As for the boots, my friend used workboots and painted the bottom red.

There are so many different versions of automail out there that it's ok to take a bit of artistic license with it. Most Edwards I know just put two white gloves on and call it that. (my friend however didn't do hers with craft foam, its functional and looks awesome)

2012 planned conventions: ACEN 2012
Others- Bristol Renaissance Faire- Kennosha WI, weekends Jul. 7 thru Labor day weekend

~ Even the professionals had to start out as beginners at one point~

~ooo seam ripper, I shall call him shiny and he shall be my friend~
Unread 04-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
Slumberdoll
e l e g a n t l o l i

For the boots you can probably find some good ones on Cosworx and then modify them to look like Ed's.
Unread 05-01-2008, 01:39 AM   #6
Aoki Miso Ramen

omfg i no were 2 find the snake thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko102308 View Post
For my first real cosplay, I am doing Edo Elric from FMA. The costume itself is easy except for:

The crucified serpent on the coat
The boots
Automail

If now anyway to make them please tell me! Someone suggested an iron on for the Crucified Serpent on Ed's coat. What ever I do, I want it to last *Can be washed*.

For the boots..I honestly don't know..

As for the automail,I have yet to find the perfect tutorial to make it.
u can find it here :3

http://www.discountanimedvd.com/prod...y.asp?cate=999
it a lil @ the bottom though
Unread 05-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
blackcat523
Rum is always the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoki Miso Ramen View Post
u can find it here :3

http://www.discountanimedvd.com/prod...y.asp?cate=999
it a lil @ the bottom though

Your talking about the flamel cross right. I've got a good version to use in my photobucket.

you can easily resize it for the back of a jacket.

Flamel ccross for Ed's jacket.

2012 planned conventions: ACEN 2012
Others- Bristol Renaissance Faire- Kennosha WI, weekends Jul. 7 thru Labor day weekend

~ Even the professionals had to start out as beginners at one point~

~ooo seam ripper, I shall call him shiny and he shall be my friend~
Unread 03-19-2010, 02:24 AM   #8
xHearter

for the flame cross you can always use fabric pens. but then of course, you'd have to be a good artist, and make sure not to mess up. an iron on honestly sounds best, but idk where you'd find one.

as for the automail:
for my first cosplay, I plan to be edward, and I'm gonna wrap tin foil around my arm. xDD
I'll leave a little extra around the joints, so the don't rip when I bend my arms and fingers.

for the boots, I think some regular hiking boots would be good. almost perfect, actually. I'm looking for some with brown on the bottom, that'll work great!
Unread 03-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
Saki Ree
LETS REV IT UP! :3

For the automail, there's a tutorial here:
http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking_automail.html

There's videos on how to do it here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/theproplady

AnimeNEXT 2011:
Judai Yuki - YuGiOh GX
WRGP!Bruno - YuGiOh 5Ds
Edward Elric - Fullmetal Alchemist

My DeviantART: *click*
Unread 03-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
Yumei

Edward was my first cosplay.
The 2 tutorials Saki Ree gave are the best for doing automail. I talk to so many Eds who have used these sites to make there automail. The first one gives patterns that you can resize to fit you and the second shows you how to construct it. I didn't really use the materials they suggested cause I couldn't afford any at the time. I just used some plastic stuff I had around the house and some silver costume fabric vinyl.
For the symbol on the back of his red coat I drew it out on a paper to the size I wanted. Then I traced it on to some heat and bond paper you can get from Joann's,walmart or any craft really. Then just cut it out and iron it on the fabric. The make sure it stayed on I sewed around the edges. It hasn't come off yet and I had this cosplay for 3 years.
As far as the boots alot people get any kind of boots from rain to snow boots and just paint the bottoms red. Some add the straps for extra detail some don't.
Unread 03-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
Saki Ree
LETS REV IT UP! :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumei View Post
For the symbol on the back of his red coat I drew it out on a paper to the size I wanted. Then I traced it on to some heat and bond paper you can get from Joann's,walmart or any craft really. Then just cut it out and iron it on the fabric. The make sure it stayed on I sewed around the edges. It hasn't come off yet and I had this cosplay for 3 years.
That's my method; it has yet to be done.
If you don't know how to do that, there's a similar method here that basically explains it:
http://malindachan.deviantart.com/ar...orial-67652953

AnimeNEXT 2011:
Judai Yuki - YuGiOh GX
WRGP!Bruno - YuGiOh 5Ds
Edward Elric - Fullmetal Alchemist

My DeviantART: *click*
Unread 04-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #12
One bird at a time...

>w< I just drew the flamel's cross on the back of my coat...

For the automail, since I wasn't going to be taking off my jacket, I just used an old sock and drew all the details, and made it shiny. XD

As for the boots, I have yet to finish those. I recently got an amazing pair of combat boots from a thrift store, and I'm going to be adding paint on the ends soon.