Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-18-2003, 09:06 PM   #1
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

Dulling silver? (Squall's silver necklace)

Hi everyone. I'm insane and decided to get the solid silver Leonheart pendent that Squall (Final Fantasy VIII) wears.

I really like it, it's very cool, however after looking at it, it's just too shiny. It has that silver shine which is great for jewelry.

I'm just wondering, is there some way to "dull" the silver without damaging it? I'm told that letting it tarnish will give it a yellow color. I want it to look more... metalic but not as shiny.

Here's a picture.

Last edited by ZiggyB : 02-19-2008 at 08:51 PM.
ZiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-18-2003, 09:31 PM   #2
Kamui Motoaki
Edge Master of FOOD ^_^

DUDE!! Where did you find the silver one? i check all over ebay and various Anime store sites and its pretty hard to find. . .
whered you get yours?
Kamui Motoaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2003, 09:39 PM   #3
Catatonic_Van

Letting it tarnish won't give it a yellow color but I don't think it's what you'd want. If this is a permanent thing you might want to consider painting it. If you don't have air brush just buy an expendable spray bottle(from walmart ^_^) and water down some Folk Art metallic black acrylic paint, test spray it a few times on some paper until it sprays even then just mist the pendent once or twice. Let it dry and see how you like it. If you're not happy with the effect and want to try it again, or think that it was the worst advice you ever took, just take a dry toothbrush and scrub it and the paint will come off. If you do like the effect I would suggest buying a black fabric they sell at Joanns which is velvet like, it keeps silver from tarnishing. That way the tarnish won't effect the coloration you added.

See ya at Fanime ^^
Catatonic_Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2003, 10:08 PM   #4
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

Kamui: Haha, I found it on eBay. Actually, this is your fault, you're the one who gave me the idea to get the real silver necklace. :P

Try looking at this seller. That's who I got the necklace from. He has three versions. A silver plated one, a pure silver one and a silver one with a silver necklace, with escalating prices of course. I went with the silver pendent, but metal necklace.

Catatonic_Van: Oh wow, that's a really good idea. Thanks! I may try that.

I was actually hopping that maybe there was some sort of grease or oil product that I could just put on the pendent. That way I wouldn't have to scrub to get the paint off. I'm sorta worried about damaging it.

Can you tell I've never delt with jewelry much? What's the first thing I wanna do after paying a good chunk of money for silver? It's to dull it. :P :)

I'll see you at Fanime! :)
Unread 06-19-2003, 02:10 AM   #5
Kamui Motoaki
Edge Master of FOOD ^_^

Catatonic Van- You live in Sterling? thats fairly close to where i live ^_^

Ziggy- oh yea. . ^_^** i didn't really think you'd do it! LoL you must be a high Roller! But as for tarnish. . My pendant used to be shiny. . but after swimming in a few pools. . . it got dull. . maybe it was the Chlorine. . .
^_^
worth a try. . *shrug*
Unread 06-19-2003, 03:18 AM   #6
positivespace
Foam Pool Noodle

There's an Instant Antiquing (antiqueing?) paint/polish you could put on it that gives things a really nice look, but I don't think you can take it off.

Or maybe you could just rub some axle grease or something along those lines onto it... it'll get between the dips of the necklace really well, but you'll have to be careful that it doesn't get on your clothes.

Good luck! I'll see you at Fanime as well. =)
positivespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2003, 05:42 AM   #7
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

Kamui: Haha, not really. It was more of an impulse buy then anything else. :) Mostly, I got tired of my cheapo necklace not hanging right and always facing the wrong way. I've noticed that this one tends to face outword more.

Hehe, remember I want this effect to be temporary. ;-) I dunno, I'll wear it at Fanime and see what people think.

positivespace: Yah, I wanna be able to just wipe off the stuff and not damage the silver. I know, I'm being so picky. :>

I'm also planning to wear it with my Squall costume, which involves a white shirt... so grease would not work. :>

Thanks though! And I'm looking forward to you and your friends FFX-2 costumes at Fanime! :>
Unread 06-19-2003, 12:32 PM   #8
Catatonic_Van

Kamui-Sako and I talked about kidnapping you one day during the katsu blizzard! I'm that girl from Animagic who was like "yeah we should hang out!" then we never did. lol I'm bad at staying in contact with people.
Catatonic_Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2003, 04:40 PM   #9
Kamui Motoaki
Edge Master of FOOD ^_^

OH YEA!!! The DC girl!!
i remember. . heh. . ^_^**
Unread 06-19-2003, 06:51 PM   #10
FF8 Squall

I got the same necklace you got from the same seller, ZiggyB (and the solid silver ring too). ^_^

I dunno. I actually think it looks good being shiny. It stands out more among all the black of Squall's costume. I cosplayed as Squall at Sakuracon 2003. ^_^
FF8 Squall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2003, 08:03 PM   #11
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

Hehe, cool, yah the seller threw in a metal rinoa ring for me. :)

Yah, maybe I'm over reacting about it. I'm just wondering what the options were in case I really did wanna dull it. I'll wear it to Fanime and see what people think and to see how it looks in photos.
Unread 06-20-2003, 01:45 AM   #12
yuffieleonheart

ziggy how much did you pay for that? i have the same one ^_^ i also have 2 others that are sadly fake x_x
Unread 06-20-2003, 02:46 AM   #13
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

The fake Squall necklace? I think it was... $9 each. I bought two, one to wear and one to put on a gunblade.
Unread 06-20-2003, 04:23 AM   #14
yuffieleonheart

no the solid silver one ^_^ or is that one fake O.O? x_x?
Unread 06-20-2003, 04:59 AM   #15
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

Oh no, the solid silver one was $100. The pendent is .925 silver and the chain is metal.

It better be authentic for the price I paid. But if I wanted to appraise it, it would cost $75. So... I'll just assume it's real. :)