Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-14-2008, 12:36 AM   #1
Raven_Harlequin

Cosplay: A Way of Life!

I've often found myself walking places... such as the mall or going out for dinner... and I find myself saying, "I'd totally cosplay (insert character name) here."

How many others out there wear their cosplay garb in random places just because they felt like it? How many have stopped you and commented on your outfit?
Raven_Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
Konoha_ANBU
Konoha's fearsome Chibi

I've only worn cosplay to two places aside from conventions.
1) Wal-Mart. Lots of people looked, only one woman commented.
2) a friend's party. Since it was the ANBU costume, I wore the mask the whole time. Nobody knew who I was until my blabbermouth idiot friend told everyone and ruined my fun. All night people were asking for my name, or for me to take off my mask. If asked a question, I would only reply in a abnormally deep voice. Oh, and I'd only speak Japanese too XD

-Photobucket Here-
Konoha_ANBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 01:04 AM   #3
Raven_Harlequin

Niiiice. I had a friend that would wear her Fullmetal Alchemist garb to walmart.
Unread 04-14-2008, 01:06 AM   #4
stefaneko

Today I had a bad 'wanting to cosplay in public' day.

My mom's in a supercoupe club, and we went on a cruise through all the backroads and stuff today. I wanted to stop the car like 20 times for a photoshoot. D:
We took a really scenic route, through forests and mountains and stuff. There was this one cliff-side... oh my lord it was BEAUTIFUL. It was like... a mini-waterfall, with rocks and trees and stuff... I suck at describing stuff but I thought, "I am TOTALLY coming back here with a camera."
Especially because it's spring now, and this week it poured and then was really sunny, everything was fantastic and lush and pretty. The cherry blossoms are at their peak right now and the leaves are opening up...
GOOD GOD I LOVE SPRING. xD;

I've never cosplayed in public yet. My first cosplay is yet to be completed, even. -_-; This summer I'm going to be taking the bus up to the con though... That's not really so bad, since 95% of people on the bus are GOING to the con anyways... the other 5% are the poooor students. (It's held at a university.)
stefaneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 01:09 AM   #5
ZGoku296
Kidnap the Sandy Claws!!

Does staggering drunk around Chicago dressed as Ed and Al Elric, eating/fighting over a tub of cake batter ice creme count?

CAPTAIN of the Rumrunners

For 'Goku', Dragon_Ball_Forums (Pfc Edward Churbe)...thinkin' about you, my brother!...

IF YOU HAVE A FAMILY MEMBER/FRIEND THAT HAS BEEN/IS SERVING IN THE MIDDLE EAST, PUT THIS IN YOU SIGNATURE
ZGoku296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 01:37 AM   #6
Konoha_ANBU
Konoha's fearsome Chibi

*shocked*

I don't know how to answer that. I don't like DBZ, so I'm gonna call you Johnny. I 4reel LOVE Johnny Bravo!

-Photobucket Here-
Konoha_ANBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
EgnirysFaye
Knows all your secrets

No..I never did that really, or had a huge desire to just walk around in public wearing cosplay ^_^; Just not that desperate.

Me and my friends did do small photoshoots at the park a few times though, but mostly at night. The one time we did it during the day (My friend was dressed as Kiriyama and I was dressed as Hye-Ju from Wishing Stairs) a guy drove by and asked whether we were in a cult or something lol maybe he thought we were Jevoha's Witnesses with guns and knives.

Other then that, if I ever wanted to walk around in public wearing a cosplay, it would have to depend on the outfit. Nothing totally "out there" for one thing lol or revealling. I did however, always wanted to see if anyone would think that I was really a nun or a cardinal if I walked around as Rosette Christopher or Caterina.

Future/In Progress Cosplays:
||Lyanna (90%) ::Game of Thrones ASOIAF|| Val::Game of Thrones ASOIAF
||King Canute::Vinland Saga || ? ::Once Upon a Time || Princess Tutu::Princess Tutu{Coppelia}||Louise Belcher::Bob's Burger's
EgnirysFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
sam vimes
A real live wire

Doesn't this thread already exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 01:21 PM   #9
Darksilverhawk
Now in 3 fun colors!

It probably does, sam. But at this, point, we have so many duplicates it doesn't matter.

I have the strongest urge to start Pixie Yuna just so I can go to the mall in it. I don't even care about fitting it into a convention at this point. I also intend to walk around downtown in my Saint Tail costume tomorrow, if it's finished.

"Any problem can be solved with some sort of pin. Safety pins, bobby pins, any pins; anytime you have a problem, just use the corresponding type of pin!" - My friend. Not a cosplayer, but wise indeed.
Darksilverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
darthseb
the dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Doesn't this thread already exist?
Yes, and so do entirely too similar threads.

But to answer the OP... NO.

I'm a cosplayer, not an idiot.
darthseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
Queen Anime 99
Call me Queenie. :D

OP, I might wear my Heero Yuy costume in the summer. It looks normal and it's perfect for summer weather.

Anime Weekend Atlanta 2013
Will Graham (Hannibal) - Saturday & Sunday
Queen Anime 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #12
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

I don't cosplay unless I have a damn good reason to do so. If it isn't Halloween and there are no conventions, photoshoots or contests happening in the general vicinity, it's hard to validate looking like a big weirdo in public.

Cosplay is a hobby, it isn't a way of life; I think too many people are grasping at straws trying to find "new and exciting ways" to incorporate cosplay into every imaginable setting, but it really isn't necessary.
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #13
Kazephyr
Shapeshifter

OP: I personally feel that for all the work/money/time that goes into a costume, you should be able to enjoy it more than a few days at a convention. ^^ In my case, due to my momís time-consuming job, as well as other circumstances that prevent a great deal of travel, I get to attend very few conventions. I donít feel this should stop me from being able to thoroughly enjoy what has become my favorite hobby. I dress very strangely normally, so cosplay would probably tone down my appearance. ^^;;

In short, Iím stared at all the time in public whether Iím cosplaying or not. I wear Visual Kei style clothing at times, Iíve worn a kimono at others, and Iíve dabbled in about every other look in between. ^^;; I donít really mind being stared at, and I certainly donít blame people for staring. I dress the way I do because I feel like it, and itís fun. ^^ Cosplay is no different to me. ^^

However... I think acting in character/carrying props should be left to conventions and photoshoots (especially if your characterís prop/personality is rather frightening/rude).

So yes, I do cosplay in public, I quite enjoy myself, and I see nothing wrong or stupid about it (not that the OP suggested there WAS anything wrong or stupid about it). ^^
Unread 04-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #14
Raven_Harlequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgnirysFaye View Post
The one time we did it during the day (My friend was dressed as Kiriyama and I was dressed as Hye-Ju from Wishing Stairs) a guy drove by and asked whether we were in a cult or something lol maybe he thought we were Jevoha's Witnesses with guns and knives.
When I told my grandma I was going to join the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) She threw a fit because she thought I was joining a cult...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angathol View Post
If it isn't Halloween and there are no conventions, photoshoots or contests happening in the general vicinity, it's hard to validate looking like a big weirdo in public.

Cosplay is a hobby, it isn't a way of life
For some it really is a way of life, they wear these outfits every day... Now, that isn't me, but I think it's fun to do it every now and then to see reactions. There's nothing wrong about looking like a "big weirdo in public" if it's all just for fun.
Unread 04-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #15
CreepyUncleLee
CreepyUncleLee

I LOVE wearing my outfit that i modeled after all thos kingdom hearts esque clothing,not too extreme though,and they're modified a lot since i'm a big guy.
I also have to wear a lot of button downs at my school,but they can have any design we want on them(school appropriate of course) so i take fabric markers and made about 5 similar to the ones that ichigo(red jacket) and grimmjow(white jacket with the crazy purple one) wear in some of the chapters arts and even random mangas i find on onemanga i purposely look for jackets i like and think arent to out there for public and i make them. grimmjow's purple shirt was the hardest.
And its caught on in group of friends,one of them decided to cosplay as deathnote for their school ID cards,his freshmen year one was light with his red tie and khaki blazer,his sophomore one was ryuk(he went goth for a day with eyeliner and spiked his hair) and his junior one is teru mikami(he borrowed my glasses for it too,lol)

So i see a lot of cosplay almost everyday,another one my friends from college came to lunch after his finals and he just wore his most comfy outfit and cuz of his tiredness,spikey emo hair and plain T and blue jeans with flip flops he looked by L,XD!
he had accidentally cosplayed and he didnt know what deathnote was so he got a shock when we showed him a picture!

man i really do need to upload some pictures,but some of my friends are harsh about me doing it everyday,phht,although the one that complains about it is begging me to make him grimmjows(that one took me about 2 and a half months to make,thank gawd for cheap white button downs,and yes it took me until i was down b4 i realized i could've used a dark blue or purple shirt,YEAH FOR AIRHEADEDNESS!!)
CreepyUncleLee is offline   Reply With Quote