Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 03-28-2008, 02:47 AM   #1
Sakurai_Atsushi
Yaoi Guy, in a girly body

Chapped Lips help

I have a minor problem, it's for cosplay photos. so far, in all the pictures I've seen taken of me, not just cosplay [most were taken with sucky cameras though] I've not seen any problems, but my friend is planning a photoshoot and a videoshoot for my cosplay group, and I want to clear up this problem before then, so it doesn't have a chance to show. anyways, it's chapped lips. I like to wear lipsticks and stuff, but I refuse to do it in public anymore, because it looks gross, when the skin on my lips peels. I've tried the liquid stuff, and the flavoured kind. they feel weird on my lips, the ball pulls on the loose skin and makes it hurt, and then, when its on my lips, even if it tastes good or bad, i have a tendency to lick it off. the wax kind feels okay, but doesn't help either, and the medicated kind with the yellow cap that comes in the round circular jar [can't think of the name] that works okay, but it feels sticky and rubs off fast, and reapplies thickly. is there any decent products that work fast and well, without these problems?
Aizenism :3?
Sakurai_Atsushi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-28-2008, 02:55 AM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Plain ol' Vaseline is the best I've ever found. The stuff in a tube that you squeeze out instead of a stick, ideally. Works fast and makes already-chapped lips feel much better.

Anything will come off if you lick your lips, though. It's a hard habit to break, god knows I do it too, but make a special effort to at least let the stuff stay on for a couple of minutes before you lick it off. Remember, licking your lips a lot is part of what makes them chapped in the first place.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 03:03 AM   #3
Sakurai_Atsushi
Yaoi Guy, in a girly body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
Plain ol' Vaseline is the best I've ever found. The stuff in a tube that you squeeze out instead of a stick, ideally. Works fast and makes already-chapped lips feel much better.

Anything will come off if you lick your lips, though. It's a hard habit to break, god knows I do it too, but make a special effort to at least let the stuff stay on for a couple of minutes before you lick it off. Remember, licking your lips a lot is part of what makes them chapped in the first place.
Really? o.o I always thought they chapped from being too dry...the only time I thought licking them caused problems was because when I lick them, they hurt alot, especially where they've peeled alot...>.<
Aizenism :3?
Sakurai_Atsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
KittyCanuck
Ph.D. in Horribleness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurai_Atsushi View Post
Really? o.o I always thought they chapped from being too dry...the only time I thought licking them caused problems was because when I lick them, they hurt alot, especially where they've peeled alot...>.<

Yes, they get chapped from being too dry, but licking causes this, it does not fix this.
Licking them can cause them to dry out faster than they should, because it strips out natural oils, and causes a drying effect when the spit dries (sort of like how when you wash your hands on a dryyyy winter day, if you don't apply lotion, your hands will be much drier after washing than before because of the effect of water on skin). Licking your lips makes them feel moisturized for a few minutes, because they are wet with spit, but has an overall drying effect.

Try Vaseline, as Mangochutney suggested, or Blistex. Get the Blistex in the little white pot, not the tubes or sticks. Either way, put some on your lips and don't lick them for as long as you possibly can.

I've found various types of cheap lip products are actually more drying for my lips, like the roller-ball kinds, or the super cheap waxy-petroleum ones, because they only seem to work while they are on, but when they wear off my lips are worse than before, so I use Blistex (in the pot - I don't like the sticks) or Burt's Bees Honey Lip Balm because those have a nice lasting effect. Test a few products and find out what works for you, but Vaseline is a great age old standby and should work fine.

<---- I'm the dinosaur, not the dude.
KittyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Those product mentioned work really well to help heal your lips. A product I recommend wearing every day (well when your not wearing lipstick/gloss >_^ ) The Body Shop lip Balm are really soft and natural they also sale one with Vitamin E which helps skin in general to promote healing.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
Fire Lily
Jack of Most Trades

Also, make sure you clean your lips regularly. Take a wet toothbrush and gently rub it all over your lips for a minute or so. This will rub off any dead skin to reveal new skin underneath, make your lips really soft and pink, though it will feel a little weird afterward. After cleaning, immediately apply a soothing lip balm. I prefer Burt's Bees to anything else, but for really chapped lips, a thicker balm will do much better (like Vaseline).

www.firelilycosplay.com
Fire Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2008, 12:46 AM   #7
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

... I had similar problems before, and I never used anything fancy to fix it.. I find "Blistex" brand chap stick, in the dark green tube, works just fine
kuroi_shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2008, 05:17 AM   #8
Jonetsu
Seamstress Extrordinaire

hmmm... I have chroniclly chapped lips, so I know all about this. To rid yourself of the licking habit, try using Carmex. It has a slight funny taste to it-it's not horrible, but it will keep you from wanting to lick it all the time. It's also medicated, so it reeeeaaaally helps. for the longest time, it was the only thing I could find to do the trick-because like you, it just seemed like the other ones didn't really do much, or I was reapplying constantly, or whatever else. I perfer the squeeze tube, but whatever works for you ^^

~Planned~In Progress~Wishlist~Completed~

~Nolanverse Harley Quinn~Seras Victoria~Fran~Rayne~L~Faye~Lulu~Gaara~Priss~Harley Quinn~Sei~Maya Natsume~Nuriko~Femme Vash~Rouge~

I do take commissions! They're high-quality, one of kind pieces custom-made for each client!
Jonetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #9
aliceinbox
starvin cosplayer T_T

i suggest Vaseline and carmex
carmex is great! i had chapped lips and i only applied 3,4 times and it was completely healed the next day. it tastes really bad .. but i still licked it.. >.< but it works fast . you can only apply it 3,4 times a day thou
Unread 03-31-2008, 04:15 AM   #10
Uberwekkness
Just wekkin' it up...

I use Chapstick brand chapstick.

I'm sort of addicted to it, actually... >_>
Unread 03-31-2008, 05:22 AM   #11
Kagoma_kage

Burt's Bees is great, I use it all the time and it really helps, but it tastes really good too so, it's kinda null for your problem.
Kagoma_kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 02:55 PM   #12
Artema
Dying just to survive

You can find plain ol' vitamin E lipsticks most anywhere- they look yellow but come out clear. Wear that underneath some of the medicated carmex and you're good to go. I'd recommend getting in the habit of putting the vitamin E stick on beneath your lipstick as well, so you get a smoother look and your lips will be less prone to drying out as the day goes on.

Vaseline and carmex and other really heavy, waxy/oily stuff only really seal over your lips. Unless they're medicated, they can oftentimes dry your lips out even more by blocking your skin from pulling in moisture from the air.

Constuff:
AllCon '10 † A-Kon 21

Stephen Colbert | Nurse Joker | Sir Integra Hellsing | Supergirl | Surprise

Past Shoots:
A-Kon 20
A-Kon 19
AnimeFEST '08
Artema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 04:33 PM   #13
Eva Yui
OMGWTFBBQ

Daily using any lip moisturizer like Chapstick for everyday not just cosplay will help some.

My deviantart

Next stop!: Katsucon
Current cosplay(s):
Rei Ayanami [school-girl ver.] (100%)
Rena Lanford //Star Ocean: The Second Story (100%)
Upcoming cosplay(s):
Medusa Gorgon // Soul Eater (90%)

Eva Yui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 10:30 PM   #14
squkyshoes
Meatbuns!

Burt's Bees is the only balm that works for me. I've tried vasiline and Chapstick brand but for me they make my lips feel more prickly.
Ponyo
Finland
squkyshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #15
wingedinfinity
=3=

what works on my lips
for the whole day
is this bath and body works lipgloss

i apply it generously on my lips before sleeping
so that way i don't worry about constantly licking them

its that soda fountain or bigelow stuff that comes in tubes.

when you wake up in the morning
all you have to do is wash your face and rub the lipgloss off with a towel
(you have to wipe/rub it off kinda hard but not overly to get all the old skin off. you'll be able to see all of it on the towel if you have a lot of dry skin..>> and it's fun! or maybe i'm weird XD)
and you can feel the difference
and see it to..cause it gives this pouty plump look also

the non-chapped/peely skin stuff
lasts all day
but it always helps to apply some stuff during the day
but i never do

and the lip gloss stuff lasts a long time for me
and i do it everynight

hope that helps

Cosplay plans for D*C 2013
Adult Katara- LOK
Psylocke- Default/Utopia/XForce