Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
HarpieSuki
Suki

Face Paint, how do I keep it on?

The facepaint I have is really good, dries fast and is easy to wipe off. I am worried that if I start sweating or accidently touch my face it will wipe off and ruin my appearence. Also it would be good if it didn't rub off on my clothes. Does anyone know of any cream, etc that I can put over the paint to keep it on and perfect?

Unread 04-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
Hyuuga Tenten
Cleverness is not Wisdom

Not sure how safe this is but when I was in the Wizard of Oz (Aunty Em) I had wrinkles painted on my face and to keep them on they sprayed hair spray on my face. It feels weird and you ABSOULUTELY HAVE to make sure your eyes are closed when you spray it.

I'm sure there are better ways, I'm just putting my two cents in.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go insted where there is no path and leave a trail."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson~
Hyuuga Tenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Kailyn
The Alpha Bitch

Hrm, Ive never used the hairspray method to seal face paint on. However, some make ups stay on longer than others. Cream based face paint will last longer than a water based cake make up, for instance.
Unread 04-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
Queen Anime 99
Call me Queenie. :D

First I have a question. The face paint you have is water-based, right? It should say so on your package. If you're not sure, tell me the name of the make-up. What I will say in the next sentences works if you have a water-based make-up.

While hair spray does have staying power, I would highly recommend NOT using it because it doesn't "bend with the make-up" on your face. You should buy a make-up sealant/sealer/fixer. (I've heard Ben Nye's "Final Seal" is very good.)

This is one:
http://www.mehron.com/retail/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=48

While I am no make-up expert, I've heard some people say this: First, moisturize your face. Second, put a "no sweat" solution on your face (Like this one: http://www.mehron.com/retail/moreinf...roduct_ID=128). Third, spray your face with the fixer spray (do NOT spray directly at your eyes/nose; close your eyes and spray around your face (the spray will hit the eyes indirectly), never getting the spray in your eyes and nose. Step away from the "spray area" with your eyes still closed and when you are away from the spray area, open them.) Fourth, put on your make-up and wait for it to dry. Fifth, spray your face with the fixer spray again. It should stay on you for a good while. Take your make-up with you just in case you need to do a touch up or something.

Anime Weekend Atlanta 2014
1. Will Graham (Hannibal) - Saturday
2. Will Graham (Hannibal) - Sunday
Queen Anime 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2008, 01:23 AM   #5
Dubaby
Dubaby

I can vouche that Ben Nyes Final Seal works EXTREMELY well...

I've used it in tons of shows and it's kept my makeup from burning off under lights or sweating away. Ben Nye is a pretty safe bet in general though when it comes to cosmetics =]
Unread 04-25-2008, 04:50 AM   #6
HarpieSuki
Suki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Anime 99 View Post
First I have a question. The face paint you have is water-based, right? It should say so on your package. If you're not sure, tell me the name of the make-up. What I will say in the next sentences works if you have a water-based make-up.

While hair spray does have staying power, I would highly recommend NOT using it because it doesn't "bend with the make-up" on your face. You should buy a make-up sealant/sealer/fixer. (I've heard Ben Nye's "Final Seal" is very good.)

This is one:

While I am no make-up expert, I've heard some people say this: First, moisturize your face. Second, put a "no sweat" solution on your face (Like this one: http://www.mehron.com/retail/moreinf...roduct_ID=128). Third, spray your face with the fixer spray (do NOT spray directly at your eyes/nose; close your eyes and spray around your face (the spray will hit the eyes indirectly), never getting the spray in your eyes and nose. Step away from the "spray area" with your eyes still closed and when you are away from the spray area, open them.) Fourth, put on your make-up and wait for it to dry. Fifth, spray your face with the fixer spray again. It should stay on you for a good while. Take your make-up with you just in case you need to do a touch up or something.
Wow thank you for the great advice! and its a water based face paint, would all this stuff work with that kind of stuff?
Unread 04-27-2008, 12:55 AM   #7
LadyJynjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarpieSuki View Post
Wow thank you for the great advice! and its a water based face paint, would all this stuff work with that kind of stuff?
Yep, everything she said is great and will work with water-based makeup. And I am also recommending Ben Nye's Final Seal fixer spray. It's done wonders for my stage makeup, it'll do wonders for cosplay! ^_^
LadyJynjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
areazel
⌠/quєєn

I have a question.
How do you remove make-up after putting on the Final Seal spray?

AnimeNext 2014
Hawkeye - Marvel
Newton Geiszler - Pacific Rim (maybe)

NYC Special Edition 2014
Hawkeye - Marvel(maybe)

'i am loki, of asgard, and i am burdened with purpose'
areazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2008, 08:43 PM   #9
Doctor Blind

Hairspray does work very well for keeping it on, though it should only be used if you don't have a fixer spray.

@ Areazel - some make-up companies sell a special cleanser, but I would just use a regular facial cleanser.

Faris (FFV)
Felix (Golden Sun: The Lost Age)
Flora (Professor Layton & The Curious Village)
Doctor Blind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #10
Queen Anime 99
Call me Queenie. :D

Areazel, what Doctor Blind said. I've heard that foam moisturizer, Johnson's Baby Oil, eye make-up remover, etc. works.

Anime Weekend Atlanta 2014
1. Will Graham (Hannibal) - Saturday
2. Will Graham (Hannibal) - Sunday
Queen Anime 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2008, 10:02 PM   #11
KittyCanuck
Ph.D. in Horribleness

Quote:
Originally Posted by areazel View Post
I have a question.
How do you remove make-up after putting on the Final Seal spray?

Baby shampoo. Seriously.

I got that tip from the woman who works in my local theatrical supply shop, and this past weekend at Anime North I was Nightcrawler for a day so my entire face was blue. I sealed the paint with translucent powder and fixer spray, and it stayed pretty darn well all day. It even held up through hugs! (it did rub off onto the collar of my shirts, but that will happen no matter what).

I just got regular Johnson's baby shampoo (the thin, yellow "no tears" kind) and it worked wonderfully. As a bonus, it doesn't hurt if you accidentally get it in your eyes while washing off the paint! ^_^

<---- I'm the dinosaur, not the dude.
KittyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #12
scry

okay I suggest Ben Nye translucent face powder and a powder applicator. PAT DON"T RUB. Also a little it of spray anti-perspirant to help especially if you are one to sweat .
Unread 03-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #13
blacklighting
~*~BlackLighting~*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Anime 99 View Post

This is one:

Is there any chance you can buy the make up sealer in a store and not online... I'm in that little "last minute stage" I'll need it for Momo-Con Saturday!
blacklighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #14
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Holy necro-post, Batman! Were there no recent posts about face paint?

Anyways, yes most theatrical/beauty supply or costume stores would carry makeup sealer.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #15
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime View Post
Holy necro-post, Batman! Were there no recent posts about face paint?
QFT.

None the less...

Green Marble > Final Seal (if you can still find it) Hairspray works wonderfully for prosthetics, especially the more rigid slip/slush latex, I've done this with some of mine and then just thrown them in a bin that got bounced around and dug through a LOT and there's not been so much as a single smudge on them or anything else (though I reccomend like 3 heavy coats (before applying them to your body, obviously) and let it dry 100% before apply the next (start 3 days ahead and wait ~24 hours between coats to make 100% sure)

Removal, I've found nothing that works better than petroleum jelly, it's a little difficult itself to remove afterwards, but it beats having residual streaks of color on your face the next day.
Neko.Oni is offline   Reply With Quote