Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Death Note

Unread 04-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
LegacyOfMadara

"A" from the Death Note novel...

Hey everyone!

I was torn between putting this in the anime/manga forums or here, but I figured since A isn't actually in the series or manga, this is the place for it.

Okay, so, I'm going to attend ColossalCon, and for the Death Note photoshoot I'm cosplaying as A from Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases and I need some ideas on how to make him stand out, but also be recognizable to the people who have read the novel.

The problem is, that A has no other description than he was the first attempt to make a "clone" of L

Right now I'm planning on a Black "L-Style" shirt and white hair. I'm not sure if I want to go with White jeans, Black jeans or just regular jeans. Also, any cosmetic differences would be helpful, I'm just not quite sure how to make him stand out, but also be a believable A

Any and ALL help is appreciated!

Unread 04-26-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
OMGwyn
"LOL, what?"

You got a pretty interesting idea going on here. I like it.
But its rather unfortunate that they never mentioned a description of him. But hey, this give you more room to play with different possibilities.
Way To Go!
OMGwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
LegacyOfMadara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eru-chan View Post
You got a pretty interesting idea going on here. I like it.
But its rather unfortunate that they never mentioned a description of him. But hey, this give you more room to play with different possibilities.
Way To Go!
Thanks!

Yeah, I'm just wondering what I can do to make him stand out and be noticed, but I also want people to think I'm in cosplay, not just some guy at the con.

I'm definitely wearing a bloodied shirt and carrying some bloodied knives and strawberry jelly for my B cosplay, but I just don't know what to do for A
Unread 04-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Koisnake
I want some fancy sauce

Hello thur~

I think your idea is pretty clever, a sort of 'opposite' of L. How are you going to pull of the eyes?
Koisnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
LegacyOfMadara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koisnake View Post
Hello thur~

I think your idea is pretty clever, a sort of 'opposite' of L. How are you going to pull of the eyes?
Good question. I was thinking maybe something like L's baggy eyes, but mixed with something like Itachi's eye lines from Naruto
Unread 04-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
Hissora
ahurhurhur. :]

For the pants, since L's are dark jeans, just use baggy light blue. I mean, like, really light blue.

And for eyes, instead of having baggey-ness, it could have black eyeshadow.
Unread 04-26-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
Koisnake
I want some fancy sauce

I think baggy Itachi eyes sounds like a good idea. And like Hissora said, wear very light jeans...And maybe a black shirt?
Unread 04-26-2008, 10:12 PM   #8
PenguinCheese

Hmmm, I think it'd actually be pretty neat if he was very fair and very evil looking. White blond hair (not plain white, a realistic blond because plain white will too closely resemble so many Nears) will be neat, I don't know what color your eyes are, but if you're hardcore about this cosplay, light contacts (again, blue, not white, think realistic), intense eye makeup to make the eyes really pop. Try to draw attention to the face. Sunken cheeks might be a nice touch, and the skin could possibly be very grey and sallow. Now, the clothes are the part I have the most trouble imagining. I think a dark shirt would be good, but also keep in mind you don't want to look like a photo negative of L...or maybe you do, I dunno, it's definitely a possibility. Maybe even rocker style clothes would be good for L, think pop-punk: tight sleeveless shirt, lean jeans, studded belt, but that may all be too cosmetic for L, so an alternative might be a nice soft linen shirt (color is whatever you love) and slouchy jeans (color is optional as well as condition of the pants, they could be clean or torn up.) Remember also that L had many many many little personality quirks - think of what your characters quirks will be so you can act them out/pose them for pictures. =) Good luck, I bet it'll be amazing!
PenguinCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #9
LegacyOfMadara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koisnake View Post
I think baggy Itachi eyes sounds like a good idea. And like Hissora said, wear very light jeans...And maybe a black shirt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinCheese View Post
Hmmm, I think it'd actually be pretty neat if he was very fair and very evil looking. White blond hair (not plain white, a realistic blond because plain white will too closely resemble so many Nears) will be neat, I don't know what color your eyes are, but if you're hardcore about this cosplay, light contacts (again, blue, not white, think realistic), intense eye makeup to make the eyes really pop. Try to draw attention to the face. Sunken cheeks might be a nice touch, and the skin could possibly be very grey and sallow. Now, the clothes are the part I have the most trouble imagining. I think a dark shirt would be good, but also keep in mind you don't want to look like a photo negative of L...or maybe you do, I dunno, it's definitely a possibility. Maybe even rocker style clothes would be good for L, think pop-punk: tight sleeveless shirt, lean jeans, studded belt, but that may all be too cosmetic for L, so an alternative might be a nice soft linen shirt (color is whatever you love) and slouchy jeans (color is optional as well as condition of the pants, they could be clean or torn up.) Remember also that L had many many many little personality quirks - think of what your characters quirks will be so you can act them out/pose them for pictures. =) Good luck, I bet it'll be amazing!
I was thinking of a silver/white, more like a Sephiroth colour, and also, my eyes are a very bright blue/grey, so that will work perfectly.

Heres the concept of what I'm thinking.(Keep in mind, the drawing itself is not mine, just the concept. I photoshopped a pic of L and manipulated it.)

Last edited by LegacyOfMadara : 04-26-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Unread 04-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
Koisnake
I want some fancy sauce

That is a very good concept! I really like the Itachi eye look and the opposite colors. Can't wait to see this done!
Unread 04-27-2008, 06:57 PM   #11
Naoko-plush
That Plush-making weirdo

I just finished reading the novel - totally cool!
Good luck with your cosplay ^__^
Naoko-plush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #12
LegacyOfMadara

I want to make some sort of prop for A to carry, but I'm not sure what. I am in the middle of writing a Biography for A and I was thinking of having him be obsessed with the feudal era that way I could get away with him carrying a sword or something, lol.

Any suggestions on a prop?
Unread 04-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #13
LegacyOfMadara

Is everyone just put off by the idea of A having a prop?

(sorry to double post)
Unread 05-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #14
LegacyOfMadara

Nothing?! Well, I guess I'm kinda stuck then...
Unread 05-06-2008, 01:42 PM   #15
Lucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyOfMadara View Post
Nothing?! Well, I guess I'm kinda stuck then...
Considering "A" would be entirely your creation (as there are no photographs, descriptions, or the like), its really all up to you as to what you want to do with him, including props.

Keeping in mind, A doesn't necessarily have to act like L or Near. Mello was a successor, and was much more active than the others. You really could go anywhere with your design.

I don't bite. Ok, that's a lie. I totally bite.
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote