Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Soul Eater

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 99 votes, 4.95 average.
Unread 07-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #166
SailorAnime
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TybaltFlux View Post
Hey guys, running in here again to get your opinions on something:

I'm making a wearable-Scythe arm for my Soul for Otakon. I've got a really good plastic base to mold things around, but as far as the actual Scythe-shape goes, do you think cardboard would look decent, or should I go with something more elaborate/expensive, such clay?

I figure I could also use the plastic base I have, give the ship via cardboard, and add a paper-clay upper laying, in order to make it easy to paint with.

Thoughts?
I'm having trouble understanding what you mean. Is it plastic inside, a layer of cardboard, then a layer of paperclay? That may work, but it's pretty hard for me to visualize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffypoo View Post
anyone got idea how to make the skull collar thing and the skull ring for death the kid?
Like Nozomi said, Crayola Model Magic. I use it all the time. It can be sanded down so you can get it really smooth which is ideal for Kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeSeed View Post
I did read the thread and some others, and I have a question about hair gel/mousse? Can you use it with wigs? Also, could I colour a white wig with with one of those large permanent makers, and then use mousse in it? I wouldn't want the hair REALLY stiff, but like another poster said- If the hair blows about and the symmetry of the bangs gets messed up- That's bad. So I'd want it slightly stiff.
I wouldn't use mousse on a wig. I've never had a problem with my Aquanet hairspray. If I ever needed anything super stiff (like my Black Star spike), I use urethane glue to hold it. ^^; It's a bad practice but hey, it works for me, and I don't plan on using this wig for anything else. But, yes, you could dye a wig with permanent marker. It's called the "sharpie" method.
SailorAnime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #167
TybaltFlux
FORCE-CHOKE

Yeah that's pretty much, sorry, it's a little hard to describe ;P. It's basically a plastic cylinder that fits snugly over my arm, but it's circular so I can mold any shape over it pretty easily. Then it's the cardboard attached (glue of some kind, probably Gorilla Glue) on the cylinder, which will form the prism-esque shape of the scythe. From there, I don't know if I should leave the cardboard alone, or go ahead and add a small thin layer of paper clay to the outer-cardboard layer, because I've found that acrylic paint comes off looking pretty nicely on the clay and might give it a harder, stronger, and more polished finish than cardboard alone.
Unread 07-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #168
GrapeSeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorAnime86 View Post
I wouldn't use mousse on a wig. I've never had a problem with my Aquanet hairspray. If I ever needed anything super stiff (like my Black Star spike), I use urethane glue to hold it. ^^; It's a bad practice but hey, it works for me, and I don't plan on using this wig for anything else. But, yes, you could dye a wig with permanent marker. It's called the "sharpie" method.
Ah okay. Thank you. 8D We don't have sharpies here (as far as I know). I meant more like, is it okay to use the hairspray on the sharpie'd wig? Also on that note, would it be okay to wash the wig? Because permanent markers smell really bad. Or would just hanging it outside to air work?

I really like how the white-wig-coloured-in style looks. But has anyone seen that image of the uh, voice actor of Kid with a girl cosplaying as Kid? It looks like she painted the white stripes? - and it doesn't look bad.
GrapeSeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2008, 11:31 PM   #169
Kasy_C.

So many questions about Death the Kid wigs! I described how I did mine a few pages back, but I've also heard lots of other ideas that may work even better. I've never dyed with marker or used hair spray on a wig, so I'm not much help there... If you do decide to paint it, I could offer a few tips. I still can't get the back to flip up right!

As for the skull accessories, I used Model Magic for the collar one (I friggen' love that stuff!) and Crayola air dry clay and wire for the rings. The air dry clay is similar to Model Magic, but it has a different consistancy. It's heavyer weight but easyer to sculpt little details into. Here they are: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1603694/

cons -Tekkoshocon -UBcon -Colossalcon -Blurriecon -Tsubasacon - N.E. Geek Expo

new cosplay:
Rosebud (Bioshock)
Margo (Despicable Me)
George Washington Lolita (original design)
Nonon (Kill la Kill)
Litwick gijinka (Pokemon)
Kasy_C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2008, 11:32 PM   #170
SailorAnime
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TybaltFlux View Post
Yeah that's pretty much, sorry, it's a little hard to describe ;P. It's basically a plastic cylinder that fits snugly over my arm, but it's circular so I can mold any shape over it pretty easily. Then it's the cardboard attached (glue of some kind, probably Gorilla Glue) on the cylinder, which will form the prism-esque shape of the scythe. From there, I don't know if I should leave the cardboard alone, or go ahead and add a small thin layer of paper clay to the outer-cardboard layer, because I've found that acrylic paint comes off looking pretty nicely on the clay and might give it a harder, stronger, and more polished finish than cardboard alone.
Ah, alright. I understand now. That should work. But instead of paper clay, you could use poster board or something like that to get the smooth look.
SailorAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #171
TybaltFlux
FORCE-CHOKE

That's a really good idea. I had a big fear that by applying such a thin layer of paper clay, as adding a lot would become expensive, I'd risk it cracking and coming off easily. The poster-board would probably give it that same look, if not better.

Paint-wise, what would you recommend for posterboard?
Unread 07-09-2008, 12:19 AM   #172
Jeffypoo

For the Crayola Model Magic, which one do u recommand? Also I have a hard time finding it in Canada for some reason
Jeffypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 12:35 AM   #173
Justke
..e__e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeSeed View Post
Ah okay. Thank you. 8D We don't have sharpies here (as far as I know). I meant more like, is it okay to use the hairspray on the sharpie'd wig? Also on that note, would it be okay to wash the wig? Because permanent markers smell really bad. Or would just hanging it outside to air work?

I really like how the white-wig-coloured-in style looks. But has anyone seen that image of the uh, voice actor of Kid with a girl cosplaying as Kid? It looks like she painted the white stripes? - and it doesn't look bad.
Well, the thing about the sharpie dye method (well, with my experience .___.;; ) is that when you hairspray and heavily style it, the sharpie comes off a little when it's still wet with hairspray D: but after it dries it's perfectly fine. It doesn't rub off with hairgel as well(well, when I did it atleast - and I was doing a lot a lot a lot of spikes), so as long as you leave it alone and don't rub it you should have no problems. Yes, after you finish dyeing it you need to rinse out the excess dye from the wig. ^^ The color sticks onto the fibers, but sometimes you have to go over some areas to touch up the wig, and then wash it again.
Justke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #174
GrapeSeed

Quote:
For the Crayola Model Magic, which one do u recommand? Also I have a hard time finding it in Canada for some reason
There's a canada option here for currency: http://www.crayolastore.com/international.asp So I guess they'd ship there as well. :D

@Kasy_C and Moon Flow: Thanks. :DD
I think I'll try the white paint (acrylics yeah?) approach first (even though the sharpie method is so so so shiny!), and if I phail at it, I'll try the sharpie method. Thanks for help! ...I'm going to get addicted to this, right? Dx
GrapeSeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #175
Rainie

Alright..SO! This cover hasn't been colored yet. I know it's not gray and white for the real colors so...what color is it? >_>
I need the colors for Chapter 12 Maka's jacket thing :
http://img42.onemanga.com/mangas/000...0000012/01.jpg

I mean...We don't know the exact colors but anyone care to take an educated guess what they are?

???
Rainie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 12:01 AM   #176
Akiho-Taichou
Because we're only human.

Those are actually the outfits they wear in the new ending of the anime.
Heres a video of the new ending.
Though if you found some HQ screen shots it would probably be easier to figure out the colors.
Taiga [Toradora!], Nanami [Katanagatari], Mio [K-ON!!]
Aria [Tegami Bachi], Female Trainer [Pokemon: Black & White]
Future Cosplays
Zelda [The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker]

Last edited by Akiho-Taichou : 07-10-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Akiho-Taichou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 12:13 AM   #177
TybaltFlux
FORCE-CHOKE

PHEW. At least my Punk!Soul colors aren't shot completely on the base-shirt I bought. Ah geez, but since I got lucky, I guess that just means I'm going to have to give you my extra time saved to help you, eh Rainie? >: | Maka needs more color coordination.
Unread 07-10-2008, 01:41 AM   #178
Rainie

Thanks so much! I still need better view of the front. You're one lucky bum, Tybalt! Now help me out D=<

???
Rainie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 08:23 AM   #179
Lorryl
Hurricane Rora

Quote:
Try looking at Michael's - They carry it, and in several different colors/sizes of packages as well.
Lorryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #180
Hooded Woman
Coffee abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainie View Post
Thanks so much! I still need better view of the front. You're one lucky bum, Tybalt! Now help me out D=<
I absolutely love those outfits. Both her's and Soul's and when I saw the new closing I didn't even realize it was the same outfit (colors are distracting) LoL. Anyway, if I come across anything I'll be sure to send it your way...I would really like to see this version done! ^^

Currently Crafting:
Caitlyn- League of Legends/ 40% Finished

Currently Planning to attend:
Dragon*Con 2012
Hooded Woman is offline   Reply With Quote