Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Super Smash Bros.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
LeslieCrystal
www.lesliecrystal.com

Princess Peach, SSB Brawl

I am in the process of making my princess peach costume. See picture here: http://myhaven.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/peach.jpg

In making the Sided Overskirt, I have run into a problem on how to achieve the effect of gold embroidery on the piece, without actually having to embroider it... Does any one have any ideas of suggestions.

Previously, I tried fusing gold cotton fabric in the shape of the scrolls onto the skirt fabric, but it cheapens the look of the entire thing. Perhaps some of you know of a nice type of facbric that could work, or any place that sells embellishments of this nature.

I am open to all ideas. Please reply!
LeslieCrystal is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-15-2010, 03:42 AM   #2
Lefuulei
Random Cosplayer

What I'm trying is using gold Fabric Spray paint (it goes on like Silk screen which is what they use for printing Tee's) and stencils. It's just finding an adequate design/stencil for it or a good enough picture of the design to do it.

BUT: One person I've seen do this cosplay basically just traced the design, blew it up, printed it out and used Wonder Under to fuse it to a shear. It might be easier to make stencils using:

-Stencil plastic from wal-mart craft section (where wood, paint and wood burning items are) Plaid "Simply"
- Poster board LArge( about $0.50/board but big enough to do stencil's on)
- Xacto Knife

Then at a JoAnn's or Michael's you can find these cans of fabric spray paint in multiple colors. I found it on gold. It's usually wherever you find fabric paint and T-shirts for crafts. They'd also have stencils and fabric markers and embellishments near there.

Well, those are my suggestions...
Lugia Gijinka
Everfree NorthWest 2014:
Pinkie Pie
Queen Chrysalis(V2)
Lefuulei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
TR Rose
Meowing About

I used gold lame and wonder-under (double-sided fusible adhesive). To get the design, I pulled the screenshot into Photoshop and traced the shapes, then enlarged them. But you could probably freehand sketch them as well (I'd suggest getting the trophy in Brawl, then zooming in very close to see the details as large as possible).

Here's my costuming guide if it helps: http://trsrockin.com/extrapeachy.html

Best of luck!
• 10th Doctor
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
Lefuulei
Random Cosplayer

and TR Rose would be who I was talking about xD <3

I also used Photoshop to Zoom on the photo and trace using the pen tool then making a custom shape so I can size and re-size to my liking. And to perfect the edges they have French curl rulers in most art supply stores. I got a set at JoAnn's of two large and two small with various curls for about $5.

The Spray is "Simply Spray" and it should be Stencil spray. But let me warn you a head of time: LOOK IT UP ON THE NET. The instructions on the back aren't very -clear- in how to store them and the nozzles will get clogged up if they get the chance to set. They should be help upside down in a basin or easily washable area and spray the nozzle empty then store upside down in water (like a cup or something) when not using. Otherwise You'll spend $4-5 every hour going to buy a new one because it doesn't work. I'm still trying to salvage the two I have at home but I can't really find any other product that isn't professional silk-screening to get the same effect. I even tried Fabric paint and the stencil technique to get a less 3-D print... that didn't work out as well as the stencil spray.

also, neglect the poster board for a stencil. The Poster board sucks up the spray and gets floppy and wet. Just go with some sort of stiff plastic or black stencils that allow you to cut them out. It's a little more time consuming than Wonder Under and Fabric fusing but if done right? It won't run the risk of making the fabric heavier, won't fall off and need to be refused or stitched, and shouldn't rub off until quite a few washes.

EDIT: Just realized the question was asked back in 2010, but this still helps for anyone else looking to do it?
Lugia Gijinka
Everfree NorthWest 2014:
Pinkie Pie
Queen Chrysalis(V2)
Unread 03-16-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefuulei View Post
EDIT: Just realized the question was asked back in 2010, but this still helps for anyone else looking to do it?
xD; Don't you mean back in 2008? And there's already a SSBB thread, so people in the future should post there.
In Progress | Vault 34 Jumpsuit | Sniper Wolf
Planned | Catwoman | Snow White
Cons | ALA | AOD | Cherry Blossom Festival | Fanime
Katsumiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
Lefuulei
Random Cosplayer

Yeah that's what I meant... I don't even know HOW I came across this thread? *shrugs*
Lugia Gijinka
Everfree NorthWest 2014:
Pinkie Pie
Queen Chrysalis(V2)
Unread 07-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
pinapplegum
Laughter is contagious :)

What I'm doing at the moment is painting on gold fabric paint. So far it looks AMAZING, and is easy (but time-consuming) to do. I went the hard long route and skeched the design on with pencil on the inside, painted the outline on the inside of the fabric and then used it to paint the outside as well. Also, I only painted half of the design on the skirt. Now since I have that outline on the inside of the fabric I can use it to make an exact duplicate on the other side by folding it over and using the outline fo the other side

(I hope that makes sense...)

I could explain it more clearly if you're still confused.

Long story short: use fabric paint. It's awesome.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0312933&type=3
pinapplegum is offline   Reply With Quote