Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 05-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
TotoToshiya

Tutorials on...

how to make cyber dreads
Ever since I laid eyes on them, I've always wanted a pair. I am getting some made for me, but all in all, I would like to make them myself.
I've looked through the net for tutorials, I've come across a couple of them and I get an idea.
But could someone give me a better idea on how to make them?
Do you always have to use a steamer?
I know their are many types of different dreads, ones that are back combed and twisted and braided and back combed too.
Whats a good start off/beginner cyber dread that I could work with?
I do have a friend who is going to teach me since she knows how to make them, but I would like to get an idea and some knowledge before I go to her place so I can have less trouble on how to make them.

Unread 05-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
KittyCanuck
Ph.D. in Horribleness

Check out Extra Muffins for some great tutorials and examples: http://www.extra-muffins.com/hair/index.php

<---- I'm the dinosaur, not the dude.
KittyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
TotoToshiya

Thanks a bunch!
Unread 05-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
Laa
Asyra Cross

I make a lot of my own hairfalls. first I draw out the design I wish to create. then I go buy some material such as: yarn, foam, tubing etc. if the yarn you want isn't the doubled colored kind simply twist them together yourself holding them together with good glue. [if the hairfalls you want to make are going to be lets say, 15 inches long when finished, get a lot of yarn and your other material 30 inches long. except for foam or tubing which doesn't matter and can be as long or as short as you wish. you'll see why you need 30 in. later] then I get elastic and pin the dominant parts in (if you have more yarn than foam, pin in the yarn first) then I pin all the extra stuff to see if it looks alright and if it does I sew (you can also glue but sewing is better) it on =)

measure material double the length of what you want and tie it over the elastic untill its long enough on each side. [like you would do tying ribbon in a ponytail so there is even amount of ribbon on each side] this is faster because with one long piece you get two pieces instead of using one short piece at a time. don't do this with foam or tubing however. then just sew and add on all you want =] I don't use a steamer for these either and they turn out fine.
I feel like my explanation was horrible I'm sorry if I was no help at all but if I was horaaay! xd ^^
Laa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
Kailyn
The Alpha Bitch

I followed instructions from the hair police but in all, plastic hair falls are probably the easiest to make.
Unread 05-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
TotoToshiya

Im making mine out of hair

Ok, so I looked up tutorials and stuff. Not too too difficult to understand. I made a couple of dreads tonight, but I have no clue if I'm on the right track. I teased them, twisted them and steamed them with a steam iron. Are they supposed to get crunchy like XD?

here's a pic. I know not the same sizes, Im workin on that XD

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...=random002.jpg
Unread 05-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
TotoToshiya

hello pplz? any feedback?