Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
FRONTLINE

Question how to make armor out of paper mache??? (hardening, smoothing, etc....)

Hey guys,

I am on a search for ways to make armor as you can see on my recent threads. This time im looking at paper mache. Like my previous threads can you tell me:

1)how to harden it so it won't bend or break or whatever
2)how to smooth it
3)how long does paper mache last (weeks, months, ????)
4)i think i read that adding salt keeps it from molding (any more suggestions)

Just anything you can tell me about this stuff.
Thanx
FRONTLINE is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2008, 12:24 AM   #2
Midnight
...Oh my

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I really don't think there's any good way to use this that would be time-effective.

Paper mache takes a bitchin' long time to dry and isn't sturdy enough to prevent warping or other obnoxious deformations. Unless you have some kind of serious understructure (which kinda negates the purpose of even using the stuff to begin with) it's really difficult to work with.

If it was an effective way of making armor, you would see it used more instead of fiberglass, resin, and just about any of the more well-behaved options out there.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
CreepyUncleLee
CreepyUncleLee

huh,you could use the wire from clothes hangers for a basic structure,but that still wont be enough to make it sturdy.
if you want a round shape,take a beach ball and paper mache it 7 times.
if you go the cheap route and use newspaper with that four water mix,adding some salt will only delay its molding,if you plan on useing it for years then go the route of newpapers and elmers glue,but 405th.com is an armor makers forum,check them out,and just search tutorials.
when it comes down to it,papermache is a helper and not the main basis for armor making,maybe the pre made shape useing posterboard and tape on wire armitures,but yeah for your question its a no,but dont give up on papermache yet,it still does wonders in helping construct the basis for your armor
CreepyUncleLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
FRONTLINE

Well what would you guys say about this?:

http://papiermache.co.uk/tutorials/s...mache-recipes/

this woman has 2 recipes, one for a hard paper mache that is used for paper mache furniture and the other gives a porcelain finish. Do you think this would be adequate armor material?
Unread 05-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
Muze
Lol Photoshoots

What is it with you making thread about making armor out of X material?
What is it that you're trying to make and what ARE you trying to focus more on? cost effective? Easy on skill? less space require to assemble? durability?
Materials varies on what you want to make.
Muze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
FRONTLINE

First of all, im just curious about this armor stuff. Secondly, this is what im trying to make:

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/2...7345618oh0.jpg

and lastly, im not focusing on anything other than the subject matter at hand. am i doing anything wrong here?
Unread 05-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Muze
Lol Photoshoots

For tight pieces like that, you'll probably want to cast your body first, which the basic rigid wrap on your legs, then build it off the casted piece. Upper body probably a mix of carboard + foam, while lower body with clay/bondo. Then coat it with fiberglass resin.
Muze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
Psycho_Acolyte~
Serious Business! : O

The website you posted would actually probably be a better place to post this question. I work with paper mache and it's generally my material of choice because it's so easy to obtain.

For my base pieces I use cardboard and paper mache over that. Depending on what recipe you're using, it can come out to be pretty strong or somewhat fragile. It also depends on how many layers you make. Keep in mind you don't want to keep adding layers without letting them dry first. A well placed hairdryer helps speed up the drying process, but not by much.

If you're going to use paper mache, I would highly suggest that you DON'T use the recipes with flour. Those can cause more problems than they solve, so I would go with another recipe.

To keep paper mache smooth, the best thing you can do is keep it as smooth as possible when you're applying the paper mache. You can use the back of a spoon to smooth it down. Any wrinkles or folds can and WILL show up. You can also coat the piece with gesso to get it smooth. That website has some other recipes to keep it smooth as well.

Paper mache can last for years if it's made right. Especially if it's sealed.

Adding salt will keep it from molding....if you're using the flour recipe. This is also true if you don't allow the piece sufficient drying time. Most pieces will usually be bone dry in about 24~48 hours depending on how many layers you put on before allowing it drying time. If you're using a simple recipe like just glue and water, there's no need for anything extra to be added.

As for hardening....Paper mache is not meant to be moveable. There really is no way to harden it so it won't bend or break if you're using it similiar to fabric. Now if you're using it as a stand alone piece that won't be bending, you can make it fairly hard by adding extra layers of paper mache. The more layers it has, the stronger it'll be. But be warned, it'll also take longer, be a hecka lot thicker and will take a good amount of time.

I hope that's enough information? ^^;;
Psycho_Acolyte~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
_Sol_

so would the ""Hard mache" (for strong pieces)" part in that link work best?

Its just that Im making some armour that is kinda the same xP
_Sol_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #10
Psycho_Acolyte~

It would be good. But just so you know, the method they're talking about in that link is for paper pulp. Paper pulp is fine and dandy, but it can be a pain to keep smooth.
Unread 05-18-2008, 01:18 AM   #11
Sagacious Sam

Would paper mache + fibeglass cloth be a viable way to make armor?
Sagacious Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #12
Psycho_Acolyte~

: O Never heard of fiber glass cloth, but I imagine it would only serve to strengthen it. Try it out on a trial piece and see how well it works. Tell me if you try it out : D
Unread 05-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #13
4ng31
meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagacious Sam View Post
Would paper mache + fibeglass cloth be a viable way to make armor?
Dead honest...stay away from paper mache period. Use a cardboard, wireframe, paper craft, etc...anything base, and fiberglass on top of that, and use some sort of filler (Bondo, clay, etc...) to curve it and smooth it out.
Unread 05-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #14
CreepyUncleLee
CreepyUncleLee

hey i have to make my friend a gaara gourd,we want a big one so we are useing 2 big beach balls and we are curious if papermacheing it would be a good idea,we'd papermache it then glue them on top of each other and then paint them and maybe glue some fake sand or that stone touch paint spray that gives a sand like texture and look.

does this sound like a smart idea?any tips,we have less then 2 weeks
CreepyUncleLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
FRONTLINE

Hey CreepyUncleLee, I'll help you dude.

Your idea sounds great to me. But instead of glueing after papermacheing them why dont' you glue them first then papermache to give it that oval look. Also if you are going for the glueing the sand route try spray adhesive. Very strong stuff. Hope it helps