Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > United Kingdom

Unread 05-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
idiots-inc
Dismember

English Lolitas?

Hey,
I was wondering about the 'extent' of the Lolita community in England.
If you're an English lolita, there's some questions I'd like to ask;
Where do you live (The area, such as East London, or Essex, ETC)?
How did you find out about Lolita fashion?
What type of Lolita do you usually do?
Personally, I'm a lolita in training, I've read a lot about Lolita fashion, their lifestyle, and etiquette.
I'm getting my first Lolita dress in June from Camden, which is possibly Gothic Lolita.
I learnt about Lolita fashion from my friend, who wears Lolita, but does not live or act in a Lolita way (But still looks adorable! ^.^) and I live in West London.
Thanks,
idiots-inc (Beatmatic seems to have rubbed off me)
idiots-inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
CrystalNeko
Moogle Power~!

I'm not a lolita myself, don't think I ever will be haha! xD
But I am really interested in the lolita fashion ^__^
I live in Someeerset! Bwa ha ha! Fear my combine harvesters! [I... don't ACTUALLY own combine harvesters btw xD;;]
I find out about Lolita long ago, I can't remember exactly how but I just wanted to learn more about Japan and I found out about different japanese fashion and Lolita was one of them ^__^
I love the sweet lolita and EGL the most, I would never go around walking in sweet lolita though haha! So if I ever did wear a lolita dress it'd be EGL for me ^_^

I've never bought a EGL before, I simply make them xD. I mean I wouldn't wear it often and some of those EGL can be £50 or more! Sure they're pretty and everything but I just don't have the cash to buy them! xD; However I would make them if I could ever be bothered! I recently made one for my friend for her birthday! =D It's not exactly EGL, merely Gothic Lolita [it's not exactly elegant XD] but I'd still categorize it as lolita as it's the same type of style =3

Reason I'm not a lolita... because I'm too much of a tomboy haha!

Oh and you must show me your lolita dress when you buy it! x3 I love looking at lolitas! ='D
CrystalNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
XMoonLilyX

Just like the anime/cosplay community, the lolita community is hard to find on the outset, but once you dig a little deeper you realise it's been there for awhile. XD

I love lolita fashion and want to persue it more, it's just super expensive. ^^;; I have a few lolita-ish dresses, I usually go for the sweet type just because...I like pink...ALOT. XD I live in the East Midlands (Leicester to be exact.) I remember vaguely knowing about lolita, so I went to the lolita tea party at ame and omg...some of the dresses were so beautiful I wanted to find out more. I think that's what really set me off. XD

I'm far from an expert on the subject, I just think the clothing is really cute and different. *Shrugs.* I have limited funds and it nearly all goes on cosplay, hence why lolita ends up getting rejected a little by me. ^^;; Doesn't stop me squeeing over other people though!
Roxas (Org xiii) - Kingdom Hearts II - 100%
Young Phoenix - Phoenix Wright (T+T) - 100%
Raziel - Angel Sanctuary - 100%
Fred Weasley - Harry Potter - 100%
Wolfram - Kyou Kara Maou -100%
Ariel (Blue Dress) - The Little Mermaid - 100%
Eternal Sailor Saturn - 100%

Planned Events:
Oct Expo
Auchinawa
Kitacon
XMoonLilyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2008, 02:37 AM   #4
Beatmatic

Hey hey interesting thread you got here, Lolita is an amazing fashion. My favourite is the cute kind being as the dresses look really outstanding the gothic kind i have yet to see more. Never seen a Lolita guy though maybe one day,
I have j-rock/j-pop clothing that i ear normally. i.e just go out and about in it. I like to be individual like that ^^ Hopefully i can see more lolita as i travel to harajuku in a couple of eeks time.
Bah i got ork soon so i am going to have to leave grrrr 11hr days.
Regards
Beatmatic.
Catch ya'll later.
Beatmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2008, 05:56 AM   #5
Angel of Cruxis

Not too big on Gothic Lolita myself, but I like Decora (Y'know the stuff in FRUiTS?) more? I'd like wearing loads of bright colours, but I'm still building up the confidence to go out like that haha.

Angel of Cruxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
Ichibi
Gimmical Impact

Im more into Jrock, Decora and FRUiTs myself but i occassionally wear some gothic lolita clothing such as the shoes/boots, head-dresses and chokers.
I have a black EGL dress but i've only ever worn it a few times as its the only real formal thing i wear
I'm from Glasgow so if you see a brown/pink/purple haired girl who looks like she's about to fall over under the weight of hairclips and cute accessories, chances are its me lol.
I found out about Gothic Lolita on my own; a few years back i dropped a copy of the Gothic Lolita Bible off the shelf in Forbidden Planet and found the cover quite cute so bought it

Just to point out to everyone who's referring to themself as "not really lolita", there's a difference between Lolita and Gothic Lolita.
One is a novel, one is a fashion

Next Events
Otascotia Club Night - August 8th
London Expo - October
London Expo - May
Auchinawa - November 2010
Ichibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
idiots-inc
Dismember

Yup, Lolita is about a pervert poet called Humbert Humbert ^.^

>.< Lolita fashion has such strict rules, I especially dislike the Lolitists/Lolita Elitists who criticize other Lolitas because they find themselves superior, and better than others, which is not the way a Lolita should behave.

If you want to become a Lolita (e.g. leading a Loli-lifestyle), you must be kind, polite, and have a good posture (Well, you don't HAVE to if you can't help it), if you don't have anything nice to say, you should keep it to yourself.

There are a few Loli communities on LiveJournal, something I don't go on, because I am far too lazy. One is very unpleasant, called LolitaF--ks, I won't elaborate on it, but you can get the idea from the name.

If you want more info on Lolita fashion, try the lolita_handbook on LJ, you an find the link on EGL Link List on the EGL forums here

I've heard of Decora, it's like, more 'cute-overload' than 'Victorian/Rococo cuteness' right? It sounds quite interesting, I think I might look it up
Unread 05-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
Ichibi
Gimmical Impact

I'm often told the lolita styles would suit me, particularly sweet-lolita, because of how young i look.
Im 18 but im often mistaken for a 13 year old >.>
[tis good in someways, not so good in others]

I read the Gothic-Lolita Bible but many of the dresses are waaaay outta my price-range. Im an unemployed student for crying out loud XD

but i agree with you about elitists.
I hate the cosplay elitists too. Those who look down on people because say they missed out a few details, they dont stay in character or buy their costumes online -___- they make me sad!

Next Events
London Expo - October
London Expo - May
Unread 05-15-2008, 03:28 PM   #9
CrystalNeko
Moogle Power~!

Funny.. I'm kind, polite and have good posture xD *does ballet + jazz and plays piano and violin both which needs straight backs xD*
... What? Tomboy's can be kind, polite and have good postures ;D
CrystalNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
idiots-inc
Dismember

Yup, elitists are sucky -___-
I'm usually told I have a youngish looking face, but I don't want in particular, to look like a young child (Like, tooo young)
Lolita fashion is an expensive lifestyle, but you can find all sorts of things in shops that are Lolita-worthy!
Find a cute, frilly, knee-length, pink skirt, and a cute blouse, and you have the perfect casual sweet-lolita outfit!
Add some accesories like Mary-Jane shoes (Popular Loli shoes) and some pink ribbons/clips in your hair, white knee-length socks, and a matching purse or plushie and your outfit is complete ^w^

@CrystalNeko: That's very true, I'm known as a bit of a tomboy as well, people were so shocked once when I walked into class in a skirt, but to be honest, I think all girls, boyish or not, have a secret want to look really girly ^.^ unless you're a man stuck in a woman's body (It happens! And I'm not talking about transexuals)

Last edited by idiots-inc : 05-15-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Unread 05-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #11
XMoonLilyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiots-inc View Post
>.< Lolita fashion has such strict rules, I especially dislike the Lolitists/Lolita Elitists who criticize other Lolitas because they find themselves superior, and better than others, which is not the way a Lolita should behave.
Uhhhh one of the worst things about EGL and stuff...Elitists. X.X I've never really explored the strict side that much, but have been shocked by what i've heard some people said. When I've worn sweet lolita at cons before I have noticed some others really...how can I say this...'studying'? me. Makes me nervous that I haven't done it 'right' or whatever! I just like the clothes and wear them however I like. X.X
Roxas (Org xiii) - Kingdom Hearts II - 100%
Young Phoenix - Phoenix Wright (T+T) - 100%
Raziel - Angel Sanctuary - 100%
Fred Weasley - Harry Potter - 100%
Wolfram - Kyou Kara Maou -100%
Ariel (Blue Dress) - The Little Mermaid - 100%
Eternal Sailor Saturn - 100%

Planned Events:
Oct Expo
Auchinawa
Kitacon
XMoonLilyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #12
YuffieBabbit

This is just my personal opinion, but it's a fashion and as such, people should put a little personal flair into it. I don't get the elitists and their attitudes, it just seems a way to be obnoxious a little.

Still, I love the fashion to bits! I'm in the process of making a dress, but exams have put a stop to that for the moment. That, and I have no money to buy shoes just yet.

I don't think I could ever wear lolita fashion to a big con though, I'm too scared of elitists!
YuffieBabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
idiots-inc
Dismember

Who cares what elitist think really?
Hold your head up high because you know you're better than them.
It could just be me that's immune to insults, they bounce off me like water on a duck's back!
I feel more flattered that they bothered to go up to me and insult me, or even talk about me behind someone's back, cus in a way, I'm helping them have a life and do something other than wearing lolita perfectly, that's what I think about it really.
YuffieBabbit: That's completely true, Lolita fashion is a very DIY kind of fashion, you get new types all the time, there's Sailor Lolita, and Qi Lolita, ETC. Though they have pretty strict rules on it, you don't always have to follow them.
You get Elitists in every fashion, even Indie, though that's supposed to stand for individual.
Unread 05-17-2008, 06:20 AM   #14
Ichibi
Gimmical Impact

Quote:
You get Elitists in every fashion, even Indie, though that's supposed to stand for individual.
I'd use Emo as a perfect example for this. Wear one item not considered emo and all of a sudden, you're a "scene kid"

I encountered Decora elitists on a forum once. I mean for god sake, its the last fashion i'd consider to have elitists lol.
Appartenly, because i dont go to uni in all my decora-style clothing, im not "true decora".
I love the fashion but come on, it's not practical for uni. Im already carrying a half a dozen heavy textbooks up and down so i dont need the added weight of the accessories. Plus, it's so distracting when taking notes hearing everything clang off each other and then the shinyness......must never forget the shinyness x_x

Next Events
London Expo - October
London Expo - May
Unread 05-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
idiots-inc
Dismember

Yup, I mean, you can have a decora or Lolita lifestyle, at home sure, but school is school, and you have to think what's practical or not.
There's uniform for a reason up until College and Uni, but you wouldn't exactly walk around in some ridiculously lacy dress (Which is pretty on special occasions) or lots of hair accessories and cutesy stuff when trying to sit an exam or listen to a lecture.
You should see the teen program THEM, there are so many people, who fit stereotypes right down to a T (Whatever that means). There was an 'indie-girl' who talked about how you must have certain things, or you won't be Indie, which is really stupid.
As I mentioned before, you can do casual Lolita, a cute blouse, cute skirt, cute headband, and you can walk around freely without being deemed a weirdo. You'll just seem like someone who wants to look adorable, or is adorable, is all.