Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #1
Reiizm

Anybody know wtf that thing is around Kaneki's neck when he's in Anteiku uniform?

I'm gonna cosplay him for Anime North and I have the whole outfit besides that obscure, dark red tie-thingy. Anyone know what the heck it is and/or where I can get one?
Thanks in advance!

Reiizm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Look up "cravat" or "ascot". Its like a tie but more old-timey and loose (they were extremely common wear in the 17-1800's). Its very easy to make one; a narrow rectangle of cloth with one end about an inch longer than the other to close it with snaps or velcro, sew it into a tube to make the neckband, take a piece of cloth for the bottom (I'm not sure just what shape that is, you'd have to play with that a bit to see what looks best but it would probably be a triangle or trapezoid) and pin on, make a little teeny rectangle for the tie-knot, wrap that around the top of the loose piece and stitch them onto the neckband, voila. Handsewing it would take a couple hours at most.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2015, 12:21 AM   #3
Lizicious

It's basically a short tie - known as an ascot. I mean, you could either make it or buy a tie and just cut off most of the tie to make it shorter. Making it would PROBABLY look more accurate, but if you aren't into sewing stuff, buying a tie and modifying it may work for you.

♡ Jareth - Labyrinth ♡ (100%)
♡ Fire! Elsa - Original design/ Frozen ♡ (100%)
♡ Chica - Five Nights at Freddys ♡ (10%)
♡ GUMI - Vocaloid ♡ (10%)
♡ Kaneki Ken - Tokyo Ghoul ♡ (10%)
♡ Judge - Judge Dredd ♡ (0%)
♡ GoGo Tomago - Big Hero 6 ♡ (0%)
♡ Starfire - Titans (Original comics) ♡ (0%)
♡ Ryuko Matoi - Kill la Kill ♡ (0%)
♡ Mermaid Rave Outfit ♡ (40%)

Lizicious is offline   Reply With Quote