Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 11-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
Alichuu
The Kitsune

Cosplaying as characters even though you didn't watch the show?

Hey guys I have a question. Is it weird to cosplay as a character you either didn't see the show of or played the video game of or whatever really but you saw a pic of a character from that series and you wanted to cosplay as them? I didn't get to finish the anime Steins;Gate but I really want to cosplay as Makise Kurisu because I fell in love with her design when I started watching. I also want to cosplay as Delsin Rowe from Infamous 2 even though I never played it. So would that be considered weird or?
Alichuu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
TitanSlayer000
Eh

Nah, people do it, as long as you have general knowledge of the character. I only got to about the third level of Madness Returns but I still wanted to cosplay Alice. So I did.
Unread 11-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
Alichuu
The Kitsune

Well yea lol I try to do some basic research of the character so that way I know who they are and try to talk about them with other people. I thought it was looked down upon because idek lol
Unread 11-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
MooglePrincess
I'm A Member of S.T.A.R.S

Hhaha
I have had this convo a few times with friends/family and my thing is... you can cosplay whoever you want. lol

But as a slight purist, I do get a bit urked when people do it. On one side, cosplaying something because you like how it looks is a tribute to art. On the other hand, cosplaying something you know is a tribute to something that is a part of your soul and others -- deeper level of tribute because you can actually connect to people.

I cosplayed that cat guy from Shugo Charat but because my friend wanted me to. I haven't cosplayed anything that I at least didn't try to watch, watch someone play constantly while enjoying myself or invest myself in by reading or playing. I HAVE cosplayed Dark Link before I knew much about him but, I was also already playing the Zelda series and actually mained Link in SSB.

In the end, who is going to stop you. You like what you like. But I would agree that their is a deeper level of connection with people who will ultimately flock to you -- and a deeper level of connection to who you are representing <3

Past Cosplays in Retouching Mode - Posting Soon:::
Black Mage: Crimsom Robe Vanity Set - FF14: ARR 80%
ANBU Original Design - Naruto 70%
Dark Link - The Legend of Zelda 10%
~~~~~~
Projected Future Cosplays for 2015:::
* Ashe: Model A Build - Megaman ZX Advent 1%
* Keyblade Armor - Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep 0%
-Warrior of Light - Dissidia, FF14:AAR Dragoon or Other *Any Suggestions on Characters with armor/masks"
MooglePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
NarutoRaver

It's not needed but trust me finish Steins;Gate its so good! It starts slow but it picks up
NarutoRaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
Alichuu
The Kitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoRaver View Post
It's not needed but trust me finish Steins;Gate its so good! It starts slow but it picks up
Haha so I've heard! It looks good to me so far though.
Unread 11-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #7
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Personally it can be a little annoying when it's a fandom that's well known and the person has no idea and their like "oh prett costume" but have no idea what the series is even about..Because the whole point of cosplay for the vast majority of us is to show our love of something (love of series, character, fashion, etc), so those that don't do it, it makes for very weird one sided conversations..You can't have a conversation about a person's character or series if they have no idea what it een is..

But on the flip side of that, I also don't give 2 craps if someone does that..Personally, I look up things and read up if I can't watch the series/play the game/etc. That way I at least have something to talk about. But if you want to cosplay something you don't know a darned thing about, that's your call.
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #8
MooglePrincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk-king View Post
Hey guys I have a question. Is it weird to cosplay as a character you either didn't see the show of or played the video game of or whatever really but you saw a pic of a character from that series and you wanted to cosplay as them? I didn't get to finish the anime Steins;Gate but I really want to cosplay as Makise Kurisu because I fell in love with her design when I started watching. I also want to cosplay as Delsin Rowe from Infamous 2 even though I never played it. So would that be considered weird or?
I'm cooking and skipped half your message lol Apologies.

Um not weird since you have at least invested yourself in the anime.
And not weird for Delsin but see my message above XD not that ti matters really.

Also, it may influence you to a greater degree to make the cosplays with even more soul/quality once you know who you are cosplaying.

I'm cospalying Ashe from Megan *blah blah blah see my sig* and didn't really know her when I partially decided this. I play alot fo Megaman (suck at them) but had the 25th Anniversary poster of the series in my room with all the cute versions and main characters. She and her male counterpart are on the front and I never knew who they were until recently. I hadn't beaten all of the Zero series and found out that she was from a Sequel of the series.

I immediately got the game and have now cemented my cosplay desires for her. I couldn't cosplay her without knowing her myself. That's just me however

~~~~~~
-Warrior of Light - Dissidia, FF14:AAR Dragoon or Other *Any Suggestions on Characters with armor/masks"
Unread 11-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #9
milkcosplay

eh. i'd say don't do it. obv its up to you, but its comparable to somebody wearing a t-shirt of a band they don't listen to. plus, when you see somebody dressed up in a cosplay from a show, you pretty much instantly think they're a part of that fandom of that show, and if you're a fan too, you get excited and want to talk to them about it. coming up to somebody who is just like "to be honest, i've never watched this show" is kind of… dismal, to be honest. why cosplay something you aren't interested in? i get that you might like a certain person's character design, but, still… that idea def rubs me the wrong way
milkcosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #10
Alichuu
The Kitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooglePrincess View Post
I'm cooking and skipped half your message lol Apologies.

Um not weird since you have at least invested yourself in the anime.
And not weird for Delsin but see my message above XD not that ti matters really.

Also, it may influence you to a greater degree to make the cosplays with even more soul/quality once you know who you are cosplaying.

I'm cospalying Ashe from Megan *blah blah blah see my sig* and didn't really know her when I partially decided this. I play alot fo Megaman (suck at them) but had the 25th Anniversary poster of the series in my room with all the cute versions and main characters. She and her male counterpart are on the front and I never knew who they were until recently. I hadn't beaten all of the Zero series and found out that she was from a Sequel of the series.

I immediately got the game and have now cemented my cosplay desires for her. I couldn't cosplay her without knowing her myself. That's just me however
Haha well if I see someone cosplaying as my favourite character but never watched the show I'd be happy still since it shows they have some interest in the series especially if they're like me-I want to cosplay as Delsin because I've played Infamous 1 and I'm really into the series and I hope to get my hands on the second game when I can. So I wanted to cosplay as Delsin to show I have interest in the series and want to get involved with it .
Unread 11-07-2014, 10:38 PM   #11
MooglePrincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk-king View Post
Haha well if I see someone cosplaying as my favourite character but never watched the show I'd be happy still since it shows they have some interest in the series especially if they're like me-I want to cosplay as Delsin because I've played Infamous 1 and I'm really into the series and I hope to get my hands on the second game when I can. So I wanted to cosplay as Delsin to show I have interest in the series and want to get involved with it .
I'm a firm believer that many things in life are subjective and there is no right/wrong with many things without reason. The reasons are what made things "right/wrong".

IMHO, it would irk me a bit BUT it wouldn't bother me because you had at least played and are interested in the series. I agree that it's kewl because it shows that a person is at least interested. If you didn't know the series AT ALL, I would feel empty if I walked to you and started a convo no matter how awesome you looked. THis happened with me walking up to a Cloud Strife cosplayer. THey didn't even know he was from FF7 but "saw him in KH". It made him seem somewhat "poser" LOL and filled me with emptiness XD lmfao

BUT, he DID play KH and knew him from there. Bah. See how there is a grey area and it's really all about having fun? I just personally like to know what I'm getting into. What if this character represents something I absolutely hate. I couldn't live with myself. XD Plus I just don't feel as inspired to cosplay without knowing SOMETHING about said character or series.

~~~~~~
Unread 11-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #12
Alichuu
The Kitsune

Quote:
BUT, he DID play KH and knew him from there. Bah. See how there is a grey area and it's really all about having fun? I just personally like to know what I'm getting into. What if this character represents something I absolutely hate. I couldn't live with myself. XD Plus I just don't feel as inspired to cosplay without knowing SOMETHING about said character or series.
Well yea lol I agree. I tend to see a character from a series that I have no clue of and I'm interested in that character so I wanna do some research, try to at least play the game or watch the show or whatever or if I can't just do basic research to where I know some knowledge of the character. I mean that's what I would do-I watched some gameplay footage of Infamous 2 so I know some parts of what happened in the game plus I wanted to know more about Delsin's character so yea.
Unread 11-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #13
Padmik
mikky

DELSIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNN (actual bae right there)

It's not uncommon for people to cosplay from series they've never played or watched, but it can be weird if you interact with them and they don't know anything. Basic research can go a long way so definitely look up the character. Between school, work, and cosplay, I don't have time to play video games nor do I have the money to spend on two hobbies so I understand the struggle. I have a bunch of video game cosplays I planned, most of them from series I've watched walkthroughs of (others from games I played of course). For tv shows and animes, I generally won't cosplay from them unless I watch them tho. Comics are tricky bc there's a bunch of them so you just... spend hours reading or wiki-ing the characters and never get a real answer lmao.

[Tumblr] [CosBlog]

2015 Conventions
SDCC (hopefully)
2015 Cosplays
Honekoneko - Panty & Stocking 85%
Barbara Gordon (2014) - Batgirl/DC 10%
Katniss Everdeen (MJ armor) - The Hunger Games 5%
Katniss Everdeen (CF arena) - The Hunger Games 5%
Raven (comics/show) - Teen Titans/DC 5%
GoGo Tomago - Big Hero 6 0%
Moira Burton - Resident Evil 0%
Padmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #14
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
THis happened with me walking up to a Cloud Strife cosplayer. THey didn't even know he was from FF7 but "saw him in KH".
Gotta butt in here--
In what world can someone not know he's from FFVII? Have times changed so much that that's not universal knowledge?

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2014, 12:01 AM   #15
naicha42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
Gotta butt in here--
In what world can someone not know he's from FFVII? Have times changed so much that that's not universal knowledge?
lol,..the same world where I heard someone complain that Lord of the Rings:Return of the King stole the Giant spider idea from Harry Potter!