Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 06-30-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Tattle-Kill

Just CANNOT get motivated

I dunno what's happened but I seem to be in an absolute mire of despair at the moment

For my other costumes I was excited and worked on them every day (or every other day in some cases when I had to work). I even had a white board on my wall and wrote what I had to do left on the costume and which days I would do what.

So I'm super excited for this upcoming convention in October, make no mistake about that. But I cannot seem to get motivated to make this costume. I've gathered all the supplies (fabric, glue, etc) and all these reference pictures. I've watched episodes of the anime to get me pumped up. I've looked at pics of costumes from the anime I'm doing. I've even gone so far as to unplug my tv and computer and have my roommate hide the wires so I'm not tempted to watch tv/computer.

It seems like I've lost the spark...Almost the same as when I became less excited for waking up christmas morning.

Have I just outgrown cosplaying?

Unread 06-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Nah, you're just bored. Do something else for a while and don't worry about it. You have a deadline already in place--when it starts feeling like that deadline is looming, you'll be motivated by the deadline.

Or you won't, in which case say screw it and go to the con in an old costume or in plainclothes.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
MaiCosplay

You can ask someone to help motivate you, a PiC. Also join cosplay group cosplaynation and many other groups on facebook and meetups.com or start a group yourself.: I see your in jersey. There is a seeking cosplayers thread for newjerseyians.

Last edited by MaiCosplay : 06-30-2014 at 04:44 PM.
MaiCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
FearTheAsian117

I'm like that...and I have two weeks to at least get what I want done to make it presentable....I'm just super busy every weekend and work 8 hours a day so I get tired and dont feel like doing stuff q.q....

~Fear

Dervish Primeval armor from Guild Wars with Dhuum's Soul Reaper!

Costume Turn Around:
http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/1269/primevalnl3.jpg

Dhuum's Soul Reaper:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/3/31/Dhuum's_Soul_Reaper.jpg

Completed Cosplay:

Lie Ren-RWBY
Death the Kid-Soul Eater

Next Con (And upcoming):
Connecticon 2014

Attended Cons:
Anime Boston 2014
PAX East 2014
Phoenix Comicon 2014
FearTheAsian117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
Tannaliese
Tanna

I am having this happen to me right now as well. I am getting so frustrating with my costume. And I switch to a differrent part and still I am stuck. So I am doing something that I I having said I would not do before...I am watching the heroes of cosplay show on the arcive files. And at first I am not liking it so much because I am feeling like they are over-dramatic and they are only caring for the winning and not the fun. But after I am watching a few episodes I am starting to like it and see that some of them actually are caring for the fun and the making of there costumes. So it is a big encoragement to me to be watchign this and then working on my own. I am even having ideas from what they are doing.
Hope this is helping you. And to you, you must be remembering why you are cosplaying firstly. You are having fun, remember? Not stressful or frustrating.
Tannaliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Jigouku Chou
Survival Horror Addict

Give yourself a little break. You might just be overwhelmed. Working every day is great, and I know that when you have the spark sometimes you feel like you can just go go go, but you could have just tired yourself out. It can happen when you do anything. Try just taking a break for a little while and seeing if that'll give you your motivation back.

And if all else fails the deadline will be sure to kick you into gear once it starts creeping up.

Next event: Nan Desu Kan 2014
Jigouku Chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

I took a break for two months from my current project. I started in February, took a break during March and April. During that time I got out and did other stuff. Had fun. Came back, and started feeling more motivated. Now I'm down to the one-month mark and I feel more determined to work on this costume.

If you're not feeling it, probably better to step away from your costume and do something else and see if your motivation will come back over time. You've got until October so that's plenty of time to fit a break in.

Planned Cosplays:
2014: NEW→Zhurong (Dynasty Warriors 8) REPEAT→Sailor S. Fighter, Kasumi (maybe)
2015: Cosplay hiatus? (not yet decided)

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 12:39 AM   #8
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

Take a short break, you're probably just getting tired of working so much.
Plus like Mangochutney said, the deadline will motivate you as it gets closer. I know I need short deadlines to get anything done. October probably seems too far away for you.

Currently working on:
Momoko Koigakubo -- Ghost Stories (Dub)
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 03:21 AM   #9
Lady Sundae

When it happens to me, it's because I don't know how to make a part of my cosplay. I fear making bad things and I end up playing video games or watching movies to avoid crafting it. Check if you are totaly ok with the crafting process, make a list of the steps you have to do to finish a piece, and do a little step every day. This could help you getting back into cosmaking.

And take a break before doing it. :3
Classic Fiora, LoL - 100% - Kitty Cat Katarina, LoL - 100% - Rikku Thief - 100 %- Popstar Ahri, LoL - Clothes 97% - Props 66% -Officer Vi, LoL - Clothes 12,5 % - Props 38% - Classic Soraka, LoL - Clothes 31% - Props 50%

2015 projects : Alexstrasza - Power Girl - Fiora v2 - Satsuki (Junketsu version) - LeBlanc
Lady Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 05:00 AM   #10
Syon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Sundae View Post
When it happens to me, it's because I don't know how to make a part of my cosplay. I fear making bad things and I end up playing video games or watching movies to avoid crafting it. Check if you are totaly ok with the crafting process, make a list of the steps you have to do to finish a piece, and do a little step every day. This could help you getting back into cosmaking.

And take a break before doing it. :3
That is exactly me right now... o.o

Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 07:11 AM   #11
StarkRed26

Wow Lady Sundae hit that nail right on the head.

I know when I was making my angel costume I had a ton of times where I just got stuck and didnt know how to move along. This was probably because it was an OC and I either kept hitting road blocks or I kept thinking 'I should add this and oh wouldn't this look cool and I probably wont be able to do a costume next year so I gotta put everything in this one costume'. At least with an established character you have a basic idea of what it has to look like.

I would just get out and do something. Go to the mall, walk around the park, go see a movie, etc. Me, I like walking around our local thrift store. It has never failed me when I'm walking around to see something and have an instant surge of inspiration.

To MaiCosplay, that'd be really cool to have a cosplay group meetup. I know I've seen them do it on the Heroes of Cosplay show (yes I'm watching the show now. Like Tannaliese said, it has gotten better imho) where they meet and talk over their current costumes (think it was the Jesse guy talking about his Mandarin costume). I think a lot of valuable input would come of it, Tattle-Kill. You should head over to that forum and see if there's any current nj groups that meet up.
StarkRed26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #12
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

Lady Sundae's right. Breaking every step up and making a list can feel really rewarding when you see how much stuff you've crossed off. Even if they're all really simple steps, it feels nice and you get to see proof of accomplishment right away, even if your costume isn't close to done.
One of the things that discourages me the most is not seeing accomplishment quickly enough.

Currently working on:
Momoko Koigakubo -- Ghost Stories (Dub)
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 12:50 AM   #13
Jacecam32

Having just gotten out of my unmotivation. Get some friends to help you with something. once the ball gets rolling you'll find yourself like I am now. thats done thats drying thats drying.. DAMMIT i have nothing to do. *watches dry-wall putty dry*
The Inferiority You Feel Is Actually The Quality Of A King. You May Grumble A Lot But You Know That You Are Still Small. And Yet, You Still Struggle To Reach Heights Greater Then You Can Imagine - Iskander Fate Zero.
Jacecam32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 02:13 AM   #14
Saltpeter
DANGER: Talks too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacecam32 View Post
Get some friends to help you with something.
*cough* Some restrictions may apply. Well-qualified friend-havers only. *cough*

I too agree with LadySundae. I have massive work ethic problems, but I've managed to make tiny bits of progress on my costume daily because long before I started I set out to define exactly what I need to do. It's also important to be prepared to have to change your plan after you start to execute it. @.@ Things rarely go according to plan, so if you plan to anticipate change, you can plan for anything.

Costume Plan

The planning phase is over, the time for action has arrived! Talk to me like someone who is more eager than studious, but HAS done his research outside of his questions! The next challenge is to make the armor look like leather, or to make the pouch!

NEXT RANK: Add padding/styling to shoulder armor OR make the leather card pouch
Saltpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #15
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I'm kind of going through the same thing. I have ideas for future cosplays but I just haven't been able to bring myself to actually work on any of them. Probably for the best as after TnT my next con isn't until November.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote