Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Sandninjer
Not a Ninja

Why do you cosplay?

Having experienced my first con this past September at AUSA, I'm wondering what people's different reasons are for cosplaying? Your answers can essentially be anything. I noticed quite a few different kinds of people at the con:
(1) Some were really casual, walking around without a costume and just enjoying the festivities.
(2) Then there were the casual cosplayers like myself who were also just walking around enjoying the festivities while occasionally striking a few poses with other random cosplayers.
(3) There were the seemingly more veteran cosplayers who were in large groups, acting out scenes for public photo shoots, and very involved.
(4) Finally, there were the really serious cosplayers who mingled with the rest of the people less than the others but had outstanding costumes, constantly being stopped to take photos with people.

I'm sure it's more diverse than that, but that's essentially what I saw and started wondering what drives people to end up in certain "cosplay categories"? Is it for a boost in self-esteem/confidence? A simple social outing with like-minded people? An escape from a reality of hardships? The chance to experience a difference world? The love for Japanese culture? Just being able to dress up in a costume?

Although my first anime con was this past September, I gave my previous Halloween costume a touch of anime to it (see avatar) and got a lot of great feedback. Since then, I wanted to attend an anime con (well, my wife gave me the idea). So aside from my love for Halloween, I've always been very fond of Japanese culture and anime, even before it was "socially acceptable". I've always been very imaginative and am open-minded about different types of festivities. I'm a young professional. I'm very happy with my life and where I am, so I don't necessarily feel like I want to escape reality, but I don't belittle others who do. My hobbies are extremely diverse. Some people know about my nerdy side while others have no clue (I swear I'm not bi-polar).

So what drives you to cosplay and what kind of cosplayer are you?
Sandninjer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

I do it for the creative release but I would not consider myself in any of the group categories.
first: I mainly cosplay to have fun but I also am in the process of making connections because I ultimately want to do a skit and video with cosplaying.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2014 LA Anime Expo
2015 Anime LA

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Patterns Completed, Leather gauntlet cuffs and boot covers. Tunic Patterns Cut.
Hero's Shade: In the process of starting. 0% complete.
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
figment1986
Doctor Whoooves

I do it for fun and social aspect. Most of mine aren't true and serious cosplays anyway. I take so many photos that vary rarely do people stop ME for photos cause I'm busy taking their photo.

Con Schedule:
Belle Con (jacksonville)
Omni Expo May 23 - 25, 2014 (Orlando)
Spooky Empire Mayhem May 30 - June 1, 2014 (orlando)
Star Wars Weekends 2014 (Orlando)
KnightroKon (orlando)
figment1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Syon

I haven't cosplayed yet, but I plan to do it next year. Before that, I was (1), just running around and enjoying the con itself. I want to cosplay because it looks fun and exciting to me. It feels like a huge archievement to me, to do it on my own and create a complete costume. I don't think I will fit into the two veteran categories, when its done, because I'm a beginner and it will probably be not as flawless as the costume of someone who has cosplayed for years. I'm even curious, if someone will want to take a picture of me....

But being in costume will probably add a special feeling to my next convention and give a new way to get in contact with other cosplayers at the con. Thats what I'm hoping for.
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
figment1986
Doctor Whoooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syon View Post
I haven't cosplayed yet, but I plan to do it next year. Before that, I was (1), just running around and enjoying the con itself. I want to cosplay because it looks fun and exciting to me. It feels like a huge archievement to me, to do it on my own and create a complete costume. I don't think I will fit into the two veteran categories, when its done, because I'm a beginner and it will probably be not as flawless as the costume of someone who has cosplayed for years. I'm even curious, if someone will want to take a picture of me....

But being in costume will probably add a special feeling to my next convention and give a new way to get in contact with other cosplayers at the con. Thats what I'm hoping for.
Everyone starts from somewhere... Technically my first costume was a store bought monk costume for the renfair... my first real cosplay was store bought (walmart) of Karuou from evangelion... and I keep wanting to enhance it still. Just have fun, we all start from the bottom. im still NEAR the bottom.

Con Schedule:
Belle Con (jacksonville)
Omni Expo May 23 - 25, 2014 (Orlando)
Spooky Empire Mayhem May 30 - June 1, 2014 (orlando)
Star Wars Weekends 2014 (Orlando)
KnightroKon (orlando)
figment1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Epsia

Because you can be anyone you want for a day or weekend, no questions asked.

Also, cons are 10x more fun if you cosplay

Events 2014:
Neko Nation
Animania
Smash
Supanova
OZ Comic Con
EB Expo
Sydney Zombie Walk

Cosplays:
Umbrella Corporation Heavy SWAT - Resident Evil
Roy Mustang - FMA
Epsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
Ron Jr

I am in your category 4. I don't just cosplay cons but do many charity events with the 501st legion (40 in 2013). My Vader is a passion for me and I spend many hours in his up keep. My Wife is very supportive (I need help putting the helmet on).

Ron Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Seamarie
Jill of All Trades

I like to cosplay to show off the costume that I made/assembled to celebrate the character, or just show my love for the character if it is a bought costume. Currently my costumes are equal parts western and anime, so I don't cosplay just because I like parts of Japanese culture. Current costumes: Wonder Woman (made), Star Trek Science Officer (bought), Totoro (bought), Tuxedo Mask (made and assembled). I really like costumes because they have interesting design elements compared to regular clothing. I like the fashion perspective.

I don't want to compete with my costumes. I just want adoration and enjoyment XD I don't want constructive/negative criticism, because I already know how I could improve my costume. I've just done the best with the effort I could invest. I wear my costumes even when they are only in-progress.

I like to enjoy the event that I go to, so I like comfortable cosplays. I get a few photos taken of me, which is fun. It isn't at the level that stops me moving around the event so much, so it is a good balance
Sailor Moon (anime version) - 5% made front bow
Athena Cykes (Phoenix Wright) - 2% starting glove

Future cosplay wish list:
Totoro (My Neighbour Totoro) claws (shoe covers), Dance Central, Yuzuki (Chobits), Kitty-N (Bust A Groove/Move), Chocobo (Final Fantasy series), Ewok (Star Wars), Rainbow Brite, Neytiri (James Cameron's Avatar), Xena, Card Captor Sakura

Last edited by Seamarie : 12-19-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Seamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
Sandninjer
Not a Ninja

Great responses. I'm still a cosplay noob so what goes on in the minds of other cosplayers is where my curiosity peaked.

Last edited by Sandninjer : 12-19-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Sandninjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
AngelusMonroe

I like to create things and Cosplay is just one of those hobbies where you are really encouraged to do it. Its cool to finally finish your cosplay and put it on and see all the hard work you did. I just find it really fun. Its also a great way to make friends at conventions.
AngelusMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
Mangoloo

I cosplay because I really love the character I am cosplaying as ... and would like to at least spend a day taking a step away from reality and "being" that character. I find it quite fun.

Plus I enjoy to see what I can do when it comes to making the cosplay. I always seem to surprise myself by the time I finish the cosplay when I realize that I could do so much more than I expected. Example: my first cosplay I made from scratch was my Nightingale cosplay.. didn't think it would come out the way it did...especially since it was a very detailed cosplay made with a very difficult to work with fabric (pleather).... it came out BETTER than I expected. I like surprising myself like that.

Borderlands's Tiny Tina
Teen Titans's Starfire (maybe)
MYSTERY COSPLAY

Like my cosplay page ^.^
LABINNAK & MANGOLOO Cosplays FB
Mangoloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
ghosgreen

I do it because it's fun and great to make stuff with my hands. If I had to put myself in a category I guess it be a combination of 2 and 3. Most of the time I'm by myself just cruising visiting friends in artists alley, talking to other friends or just striking up new conversation whatever. The times I have a planned photoshoot or group then yeah group 3. I do have to admit definitely has a better effect when you're in a group and in force. Heh heh ahh yeah that was a great year. Had the entire squad was so much fun. Mhm so yeah fun stuff.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #13
Moon__Phase

I just love to dress up as my favorite anime characters! I'm not doing it to escape. I just like to dress up. I have ever since I was really young.

Facebook Page
Moon__Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 01:35 AM   #14
rebeccajyo

I think it is a good way to get closer with my favorite role and experience.
rebeccajyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #15
Reily96
Ambitious to a Fault

I do it for a bunch of reasons. The main being that I think it's tons of fun. The other reasons are pretty superficial, vanity and the want to show off. But I do enjoy bonding with others of the same fandom and meeting other cosplayers of all levels. Whether its giving advice or getting advice, I love hearing and learning about all this craftiness that everyone has. People can be wearing the same costume but will have made it in completely different ways!

There are other reasons too that go down into my personal history, but I won't get into that. Suffice it to say, cosplaying is one of the only times I will go out of my way to be somewhat social, the only other time being going to DisneyWorld. It's a great way to be creative and show your love for a fandom~

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote