Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 07-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #1501
kuko-chan
Waterbender Extraodinaire

No one's ever said a rude comment to my face, but I've been getting rather snide remarks on one of my Youtube videos I took of a group of Jet Set Radio cosplayers, all because one guy in the video wasn't moving all that much. Everyone keeps saying "Why doesn't he move? He sucks!" and then they make fun of another cosplayer's weight. I honestly can't see why people feel the need to be so rude just because they're anonymous on the internet.

And another experience, though this didn't happen to me personally, I've been seeing some rather ugly remarks flying at girls who do sexy versions of costumes. Not naming any names or pointing any fingers, but what a girl decides to dress up as is her own business and no one should be calling her a slut just because of it. It's just plain rude! You don't know her!

Unread 07-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #1502
ChibiTenshi
Aww Barf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xila View Post
So One time...

2 friends and I went on a random little adventure, dressed up as Naruto Characters. We're in the south, where it gets hot, and I was shino in a coat, so I had to open it before i burned to death. Naruto brought along a camera, and this little group of videos was the result, but this is the video where the rude coment came in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOcBppcbGuQ

Comment: "lol it was funny... but seriously, i dont wanna be a hater but com on, a fat, african american, girl as Shino? WTF!???
Shino is not black, not fat, and not a girl, realy unmatching guys... "

Unmatching? Did we give a crap? No, we were just having fun. If he didn't want to be a so called 'hater' then he shouldn't have said it at all. of course, this being my friend's video, they confronted him:

"Thanks, but that was really kind of racist... For the record, most cosplayers ARE girls.

We were just doing this for fun, anyhow. "

"Wow, that's hypocritical isn't it? you like it, but you don't because of our 'cast'...

like my dear lovely malice (previous comment) said, most cosplayers are girls and that 'fat african american girl' makes an excellent Shino, and judging peeps by thier race is just plain rude...

I'd tell you off more but I feel you aren't worth more of my time... "

One friend... >.> got REALLY mad at the dood. I'm... not going to put that here, you can read it yourself. Anyways, I felt I nedded to say something too, but rather than explode at people, I totally took the sarcastic approach, lol.

"Excuse me, but I happen to be the Shino in question. I just want you to know that to me, being a guy in a grey coat and sunglasses is better than running around as a chick that wears other wise. And Yes, I know that Shino isn't black or fat or a girl, but what I need you to do for me, is look up the show Naruto, and tell me if there is indeed a black, fat, girl on that show, because only then could I even begin to look over your comment again. "

It really kinda hurt me, you know? Had I actually been trying to cosplay Shino rather than throw on a coat in the middle of summer to go out to lunch then walk around with friends, I don't know how much I would have been able to go on cosplay because when I first started, being 'Fat, and black, and a girl' was all I was worried about. I did not need comments like that pointed in my direction when I was new to this and nervous about doing it.

>=/

[/vent]
I know how you feel, being a girl and slightly dark skinned. I mean, I don't care what other people think when I'm having fun, but the bad comments still hurt. I just try to focus on the people who actually liked my cosplay, and the good comments and try to ignore the bad ones.

Planned for 2010:

Ciel Phantomhive from Kuroshitsuji (tentative)
Echo from Pandora Hearts (tentative)
Agitha the Bug Princess from LoZ: Twilight Princess (0%-planned)
ChibiTenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #1503
13Kai-Kai
HisokaKurosaki3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiazeph View Post
Mm. That reaction likely has a lot to do with 'black faceing'. Back in Hollywood in the early days of film they would have caucasion actors play the roles of dark skinned actors with make-up therby barring actual dark skinned people from those roles.

That's the history behind why if anyone light skinned talks about tanning/using make-up to give themselves the illusion of darker skin for any kind thing you'll usually get this reaction.

With cosplay I'm pretty sure no one really means any harm but it's still not a good route to go, too controversial. It's not like you're stealing anyone's place...but it's still just a very very touchy issue ^^;;;

That being said I'm going to be green for one of my future cosplays o_o;;;
I don't see the need to change your skin color in any way if the character has a natural color. I don't care, and others shouldn't either, what color you are as long as you obviously love the character and are enjoying yourself <3
The only reason I see for changing your skin for a character is if the character has an unnatural coloring (green, pink, blue etc).
That being said I've seen some awesome black cosplayers and I have a lot of respect for them (including the amazing black Shiba Kukkaku that was at AnimeNEXT). I just hope no one gives me smack if I want to cosplay as a darker skinned character :/

AUSA 2014
Anri (Durarara)
Inukashi (No.6)
Jigglypuff Gijinka
Kairi (KH 1)
Lisanna (Fairy Tail)

Katsucon 2015
Hakuei (Magi)
The Dream (Cardcaptors)
Shizuo (Durarara)
France (Hetalia)
Mr. K (Gravitation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyokun View Post
Plan for the worst, hope for the best, be happy that nothing blew up.
13Kai-Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 07:35 PM   #1504
crying_koneko

I've gotten a few rude comments on my Matsumoto and the Hitsugaya I made. I believe one saying I wasn't Matsumoto she's skinny was said along with a few other uncalled for things about my horrible wig which I know isn't good(and those were a comments on a picture from a complete stranger.. comments has since been deleted), oh not another Rangiku was said a few times at a few cons.
The Hitsugaya one I made was just jerks yelling at my friend that she was going to get laid tonight.... guess they didn't know it was really a girl. Along with people making cracks at her height.. she's 5 foot even people! Oh and her hair showing under he wig.. that completely uncalled for.
crying_koneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 08:38 PM   #1505
Exidous
Master of Nothing

"You're a whore for dressing up as that character and you're too ugly to pull her off."

Lol. Character is a man.
I just laughed at them.
Unread 08-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #1506
baokaka

friend was doing Lacus Clyne from Gundam seed and two guys were walking behind us and said

"hey! Lacus Clyne you should loose weight"
that is really mean
Unread 08-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #1507
playmysitardemy
Hahahaha......wait, what?

It was my first time cosplaying, well, officially at least. Also, it was only my second con ever, Anime Boston 08. I had made two new friends and we were just wandering around. I was cosplaying Demyx, one was Axel and the last was Marluxia. Now, I didn't HEAR it but the Marluxia told me when we took a break outside and I nearly demanded they tell me where this was so I could knock them out.

Anyway, the two people I was hanging out with had...to put politely "a little more to love" body types. Also, my coat wasn't fit right so it looked way too big on me. As we were wandering about, a Haruhi turned to her friend and said, "look at those whales, they should give some of their blubber to the anorexic bitch" and started laughing.

This hurt me because I am self-conscious of my weight, I honestly think I'm too skinny sometimes, even though I'm 5' 2" and stuck at 120 lbs. Pretty much healthy if not a tiny bit over recommended weight. Not only that but the two I had made friends with are extremely self-conscious. This also hurt me the fact that they didn't bother looking at the costumes or even talking to get to know us but immediately going to many womens' problem, weight. Only thing I can think about is they were probably hypocrites. :\
playmysitardemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 06:05 PM   #1508
KittyLuck
Kitty~meow?

play your the same height and weight as me! xD except my weight fluctuates from 115-120.

anyways ummm random guy told me I looked like a whore. I got mad. tried to kick him in nuts but he blocked then I proceeded to chase him down. ^.^; he was too fast though and im too slow/was wearing a dress. SO he got away =( i was really mad though... I can take a lot of shit but sometimes people say the exact wrong thing the exact wrong way and I flip out.
KittyLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 06:48 PM   #1509
TR Rose
Meowing About

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyLuck View Post
anyways ummm random guy told me I looked like a whore. I got mad. tried to kick him in nuts but he blocked then I proceeded to chase him down. ^.^; he was too fast though and im too slow/was wearing a dress. SO he got away =( i was really mad though... I can take a lot of shit but sometimes people say the exact wrong thing the exact wrong way and I flip out.
That really wasn't the smartest move. If you'd connected that could be considered assault... >.>
• 10th Doctor
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #1510
Akemi Idane
Sew like a cosplayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox3113 View Post
at the mall cosplaying w/ a friend as Naruto (me) and sakura

guy walks by

"What the F**k is this?! Christmas?!"
SOLID LOL.
That is epic. xD

Planned Cosplays:
Kumoricon 2011
Eridan Ampora - Homestuck - 0%
Neuro - Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro - 0%
Gumi - Matroyshka - 0%
Akemi Idane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #1511
ice_wolf
cats will rule the world!

Ok, I've got one. It was directed to me, nor my costume, but it was directed to all cosplayers of the world. I was at A-Kon with my friend, and before we know we're following a Naruto, a Neji, and a Hinata, since we're kinda lost in the tangle of skywalk. Well, we go into the wrong building, where a jewelry show is being held, and some rude lady begins asking us why we're in costumes, since it's not halloween. My friend begins to explain, since the others are in shock. When she explains that anime is Japanese cartoons, the lady replies "How are watching that? You're not from Japan!" It's a very good thing I wasn't in my Rukia costume yet, or else my white sword would be stained with blood.

Oh yes, and I just remembered. At my first con [not really but it felt like it] I went to the rave in socks and flip-flops, and according to my friend I was being pointed at and laughed at.

Past cons and characters Hinata Hyuga: Oni-con 2007. Kaede Nagase: A-Kon 19. Rukia Kuchiki: Oni-con 2008. Hinata Hyuga and Rukia Kuchiki: A-Kon 20. Rukia Kuchiki: A-Kon 21. Rukia Kuchiki: Mechacon 6. Rukia Kuchiki: A-Kon 22.

Last edited by ice_wolf : 08-24-2009 at 07:27 PM.
ice_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #1512
KittyLuck
Kitty~meow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Rose View Post
That really wasn't the smartest move. If you'd connected that could be considered assault... >.>
yeah... im not the best when dealing with my anger. lol but if it did ever go to court i could say that I was agravated? I forget the term for it... but he was insulting me and I got enraged. *shrug* plus duh you call a girl a whore/slut or whatever your going to get hurt. -.-;
KittyLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #1513
ice_wolf
cats will rule the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xila View Post
So One time...

2 friends and I went on a random little adventure, dressed up as Naruto Characters. We're in the south, where it gets hot, and I was shino in a coat, so I had to open it before i burned to death. Naruto brought along a camera, and this little group of videos was the result, but this is the video where the rude coment came in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOcBppcbGuQ

Comment: "lol it was funny... but seriously, i dont wanna be a hater but com on, a fat, african american, girl as Shino? WTF!???
Shino is not black, not fat, and not a girl, realy unmatching guys... "

Unmatching? Did we give a crap? No, we were just having fun. If he didn't want to be a so called 'hater' then he shouldn't have said it at all. of course, this being my friend's video, they confronted him:

"Thanks, but that was really kind of racist... For the record, most cosplayers ARE girls.

We were just doing this for fun, anyhow. "

"Wow, that's hypocritical isn't it? you like it, but you don't because of our 'cast'...

like my dear lovely malice (previous comment) said, most cosplayers are girls and that 'fat african american girl' makes an excellent Shino, and judging peeps by thier race is just plain rude...

I'd tell you off more but I feel you aren't worth more of my time... "

One friend... >.> got REALLY mad at the dood. I'm... not going to put that here, you can read it yourself. Anyways, I felt I nedded to say something too, but rather than explode at people, I totally took the sarcastic approach, lol.

"Excuse me, but I happen to be the Shino in question. I just want you to know that to me, being a guy in a grey coat and sunglasses is better than running around as a chick that wears other wise. And Yes, I know that Shino isn't black or fat or a girl, but what I need you to do for me, is look up the show Naruto, and tell me if there is indeed a black, fat, girl on that show, because only then could I even begin to look over your comment again. "

It really kinda hurt me, you know? Had I actually been trying to cosplay Shino rather than throw on a coat in the middle of summer to go out to lunch then walk around with friends, I don't know how much I would have been able to go on cosplay because when I first started, being 'Fat, and black, and a girl' was all I was worried about. I did not need comments like that pointed in my direction when I was new to this and nervous about doing it.

>=/

[/vent]
I understand. I'm a chubby girl, and very short for my age, and so far no one has yet to bash me on it, but the second they do I'll try to remember your comment to use against them, since sadly mangaka don't put very many chubby girls, so we have no choice but to cosplay the others. Don't let it get you down, I'd like to see that guy come up with a nice costume in just a few days!

Past cons and characters Hinata Hyuga: Oni-con 2007. Kaede Nagase: A-Kon 19. Rukia Kuchiki: Oni-con 2008. Hinata Hyuga and Rukia Kuchiki: A-Kon 20. Rukia Kuchiki: A-Kon 21. Rukia Kuchiki: Mechacon 6. Rukia Kuchiki: A-Kon 22.
ice_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 08:02 PM   #1514
Akemi Idane
Sew like a cosplayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessWolf View Post
I have had people say rude things about me but later apologize for it (which I find weird but no loss ^^).

I usually don't get rude comments but I have random shoutouts of stuff that was immature such as being called a trap one time in my Phoenix Wright outfit because I was carrying a purse with the outfit. But I heard it from a immature 15 year old who never cosplayed and was wearing nothing but a Naruto headband, shirt, and shoes. (I kept my bags out of the photos). Was really funny.
No pants?
xD

Planned Cosplays:
Kumoricon 2011
Eridan Ampora - Homestuck - 0%
Neuro - Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro - 0%
Gumi - Matroyshka - 0%
Akemi Idane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #1515
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_wolf View Post
When she explains that anime is Japanese cartoons, the lady replies "How are watching that? You're not from Japan!" It's a very good thing I wasn't in my Rukia costume yet, or else my white sword would be stained with blood.
I don't know if that's rude, as much as uninformed on the subject. It doesn't really sound like she insulted you guys or made fun of you. Just saying.
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote