Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 160 votes, 4.89 average.
Unread 05-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #16
tu_sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angathol View Post
I'm not sure that only total ditzes would inquire as to why any sensible person would go around wearing a strap between their pantlegs. :P

If you're going to go out in public looking abnormal, people are going to treat you as if you're abnormal. It's something that cosplayers need to either accept or deal with in an appropriate and civil manner.

Yes, I've gotten comments before, but you learn to take them in stride. After all, wearing a fur-trimmed coat and polyester pants and carrying around some kind of crazy wizard staff doesn't exactly make me look like a respectable member of society, and I don't expect to be treated like one while wearing it. Yes, "cosplayers are people too," but everyone knows that if you're not conforming to societal norms or expectations (and this goes for attire), you won't be treated with as much respect as someone who does. Although it is a bit disconcerting that conformity is considered crucial enough that someone would notice something as minor as an oddly positioned strap on your pants, sometimes people can't help but laugh awkwardly when obscure references or hobbies are explained to them, and I wouldn't hold it against them.
Sad, yet true. I think you're right though. When you're in cosplay, you have to know what's going to come along with that and accept it. You're going to get stared at and, if you're lucky, people will ask you for pictures and stuff. A little off topic, but I never understood why some cosplayers get impatient when a million people ask for their picture. Yeah, it can be a bit of a hassel, but it's also a huge compliment. But anyway...

The one time this happened to me (so far) was Ohayocon 2008. The convention center was in the middle of a mall, so the hotels were not necessarily inside the convention center. And mine was probably the farthest away. So I have my Anbu costume on (with mask) and I'm waiting for the elevator. Some guy and his father (?) get out and as soon as they turn the corner the guy starts cracking up and says "I think I'm gonna lose it." The corner was like... maybe three feet away.

But whatever. I just kinda brushed it off. Because for that one guy, there were at least two who asked me about cosplay and, though they seemed terrified, were really really nice and friendly. Someone and his wife asked me about it on the elevator and I explained that it was just a bunch of harmless nerds who like to make things and dress up to chill out for a weekend. Then he actually started asking me about my costume and whether I made it and etc. etc. It was really cool.

The encounter with the cool guy is what actually sticks out in my memory better. We'll always run into jerks because, like Angathol said, we're definitely not conforming to the norm lol. But there's also people who might take a second look or something, but will just let it go.

Unread 05-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #17
ZakuKitty
Don't die, Lloyd.

When I go to a public place in costume I kind of expect somebody to notice be it positive or negative or just neutral. We are indeed dressing out of the norm and people in general are not understanding people though the nice kind ask and become interested. In public I have had people shout out of car windows but it is usually something as original as "Anime sucks!" =D

I generally remember those who either compliment it or show genuine interest without staring but staring comes with the territory. I have had a comment or two made about my appearance (my face with the whole ugly comment jazz) but yeah. The internet.

Just shrug and move in. The majority of people tend to just give curious stares. =]
ZakuKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #18
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

I did once at AB hear someone say to me, Dude, you did a horrible Ring Wraith, they don't have that many swords. To be honest I barely know what a Ring Wraith is, but my response was, well good thing I'm not a Ring Wraith then huh?

I get called a Ring Wraith a whole helluva alot though, bu if I don't look like one, why do people keep asking?

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #19
AnimatedPoison

I don't think I've ever really gotten especially rude comments in person. It's usually rude behavior, but I don't take that personally either, because I can't imagine what other mindless nonsense they've been doing to other people.

Most people don't have the nerve to say things like that to someone's face (a lot of responders so far have overheard people, not been spoken to directly, even). But even if someone DID say something rude... so what? It just makes them look like a bigger ass. For crying out loud, they're trying to make fun of someone wearing a costume-- are they feeling THAT insecure?
AnimatedPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #20
Kazephyr
Shapeshifter

Quote:
If you're going to go out in public looking abnormal, people are going to treat you as if you're abnormal. It's something that cosplayers need to either accept or deal with in an appropriate and civil manner.
I wish more people would see things this way.

Many people wear their costumes around town for the heck of it, then whine into their livejournal about "the meen pplz" who mocked them later. It really makes people who cosplay responsibly and intelligently in public (without complaining about the looks/reactions they may get) come off as members of an immature group.

Whether or not the people who ridicule you are right to do so, you should seriously have seen it coming. For every person who has ever teased me for cosplaying in public, there are two or three who complimented me on it. That's life, and I'm willing to accept it. ^^

Quote:
But even if someone DID say something rude... so what? It just makes them look like a bigger ass. For crying out loud, they're trying to make fun of someone wearing a costume-- are they feeling THAT insecure?
Exactly. ^^ Thats why I never let people like that bother me. If they're as petty as to mock me in the first place, should their opinion really be so important to me?
Unread 05-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #21
Yuna
Nessa
A frakin' Mod

I've had tons of beyond rude things said about me or other cosplayers around me at conventions and such, but none of them ever stick in my mind like this one.

In 2002 at Tristen Citrine's birthday party in Las Vegas, we when to Circus Circus dressed up in our Sakura Taisen costumes. It was Vegas so we didn't get too many stares and no one was outright rude at all, in fact most people liked it. As we were leaving, however, and small boy was walking with his mother to go inside Circus Circus just as we were walking out to the parking lot. He stops, grabs his mother's hand and, terrified, yells, "MOMMA WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE!?!?!" Greatest reaction ever.
Yuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #22
cold kittn
Your own personal stalker

I haven't gotten nothing rude just stupid comments like "Trick or Treat" or "Halloweens not till next month" from people when I once had a photoshoot at the park by my house....Apparently I look pretty intimidating in or out of cosplay so I guess when people see me they no to wait.

Other than that it's the usual WTH stares from people when I'm in cosplay, or when I go to the fabric store and show them the reference pictures of what I want to do.
cold kittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #23
evaunit01berser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volnixshin View Post

I get called a Ring Wraith a whole helluva alot though, bu if I don't look like one, why do people keep asking?

wow vol, like you totally don't look like a ring wraith....

volnixshin....
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1463065/

the ring wraith..
http://uk.games-workshop.com/heralds...ringwraith.jpg

evaunit01berser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #24
masochistx3

I think everyone just gets rude comments weather they realize it or not. its just one of those things you have to expect when you cosplay because there are always someone going "omg shes so fat" or " hes soo ugly"

personally mine is more funny then rude, one time during a con i had dressed as ren from they my noble masters and went to the starbucks located in the convention center and i chatted up with the girl that was making the drinks the next day i come in a dress the next day and the girl i had talked to went " omg your a girl you looked like a dude" haha i thought it was hilarious
masochistx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #25
Sakura Efreet
Meep...!

When I was dressed up as Eternal Sailor Jupiter at a con, my friend pointed to a Sailor Mercury and a Sailor Mars and said "Wow. They look so much better than you do!... Sorry."

;o;.

That killed my self esteem!

I live in Ohio and I try to catch every con in this state and the surrounding states (when money allows).
I have been cosplaying since the age of 9, and when I'm not cosplaying...
I'm a college student and an Irish dancer. ;]
Sakura Efreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #26
Kazephyr
Shapeshifter

Quote:
When I was dressed up as Eternal Sailor Jupiter at a con, my friend pointed to a Sailor Mercury and a Sailor Mars and said "Wow. They look so much better than you do!... Sorry."

;o;.

That killed my self esteem!
Man, I hate it when people compare costumes. -_-;; It's so incredibly rude and immature... Honestly, people like that need to realize that that's no longer acceptable behavior after age 5. -_-;;
Unread 05-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #27
Sakura Efreet
Meep...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazephyr View Post
Man, I hate it when people compare costumes. -_-;; It's so incredibly rude and immature... Honestly, people like that need to realize that that's no longer acceptable behavior after age 5. -_-;;
I was actually quite shocked when he said it. Not only was it his first con and he was not cosplaying (and he never has!) he said that! And he is actually one of the nicest people I know... It was a Twilight Zone moment.

But yeah; I hate it too. It's all about having fun! Plus I thought my costume was kinda pretty... ><;.

I live in Ohio and I try to catch every con in this state and the surrounding states (when money allows).
I have been cosplaying since the age of 9, and when I'm not cosplaying...
I'm a college student and an Irish dancer. ;]
Sakura Efreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #28
EgnirysFaye
Knows all your secrets

I hate people who compare too! It's a confidence killer. I haven't had that said to me in cosplay (Me and my friends always call each other the best as compliments lol it's just how we are, all lovable) but at other locations, like work.

I haven't had many rude comments personally, but I've overheard rude comments. One of my friends is particularly very thin, yet she decided to be brave and wear a skimpy-like costume from a movie. When we entered the convention...another friend told me how a guy walked by us and said outloud "Eat somme pasta" at her. THANKFULLY she never heard it >.>

Other times, I have seen these two boys laughing at a cosplayer as she walked by. They weren't cosplayers themselves, they were just random kids at a restuarant. We wanted to punch them sooooo badly.

There might be rude comments out there devoted to me lol but I'm happy being ignorant about it for now.

Future/In Progress Cosplays:
||Lyanna (95%) ::Game of Thrones ASOIAF||King Canute::Vinland Saga
|| ? ::Once Upon a Time || Princess Tutu::Princess Tutu{Coppelia}||Louise Belcher::Bob's Burger's
EgnirysFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #29
Kazephyr
Shapeshifter

Quote:
I was actually quite shocked when he said it. Not only was it his first con and he was not cosplaying (and he never has!) he said that! And he is actually one of the nicest people I know... It was a Twilight Zone moment.

But yeah; I hate it too. It's all about having fun! Plus I thought my costume was kinda pretty... ><;.
People can really surprise you sometimes... It's always kind of upsetting... I guess some just have their "acting-like-a-moron-moments". >_< If he kept it up, though, or said something like that in the future, I'd probably get pretty mad.

Quote:
I hate people who compare too! It's a confidence killer. I haven't had that said to me in cosplay (Me and my friends always call each other the best as compliments lol it's just how we are, all lovable) but at other locations, like work.

I haven't had many rude comments personally, but I've overheard rude comments. One of my friends is particularly very thin, yet she decided to be brave and wear a skimpy-like costume from a movie. When we entered the convention...another friend told me how a guy walked by us and said outloud "Eat somme pasta" at her. THANKFULLY she never heard it >.>

Other times, I have seen these two boys laughing at a cosplayer as she walked by. They weren't cosplayers themselves, they were just random kids at a restuarant. We wanted to punch them sooooo badly.

There might be rude comments out there devoted to me lol but I'm happy being ignorant about it for now.
What drives me really nuts is that people are mocked for being overweight, but if they're too skinny, they're also harassed. However, this also further proves the idiocy of those who make these comments in the first place. We're not drawn characters. We all have different metabolisms, different eating habits, different lifestyles, and different bodies. No one is perfect, but some people seem to delight in saying we should all have inhumanly perfect proportions, or else there's something very, very wrong with us. -_-;;
Unread 05-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #30
PixieRisa
LGLP

K me and someone I bumped into at youth group that cosplays were having a conversation about cosplaying and we were techincally cosplaying for the youth group's theme night (Geeks vs. Jocks vs. Hippies xD guess what we dressed as!) and then one of the whiny-judgemental-"OMG shoes" personality girls at youth group said to us "Japanese cartoon-lovers are freaks that are obsessed with stupid cartoons and doesn't spend time with God" with a glare. I actually said this as my reply, "At least I listen to the Speaker's message than giggling and talking during church like you and your whiny friends.(which is true btw)" With a smirk on my face.

People like her can be so hypocritical sometimes. -__-
PixieRisa is offline   Reply With Quote