Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 160 votes, 4.89 average.
Unread 05-17-2008, 10:16 PM   #31
Kazephyr
Shapeshifter

Quote:
K me and someone I bumped into at youth group that cosplays were having a conversation about cosplaying and we were techincally cosplaying for the youth group's theme night (Geeks vs. Jocks vs. Hippies xD guess what we dressed as!) and then one of the whiny-judgemental-"OMG shoes" personality girls at youth group said to us "Japanese cartoon-lovers are freaks that are obsessed with stupid cartoons and doesn't spend time with God" with a glare. I actually said this as my reply, "At least I listen to the Speaker's message than giggling and talking during church like you and your whiny friends.(which is true btw)" With a smirk on my face.

People like her can be so hypocritical sometimes. -__-
It's pretty low (not to mention hypocritical, in her case) to accuse someone of not being religious enough because they happen to enjoy anime. -_-;; I consider myself quite religious, but I'm also very much addicted to anime. I don't feel one takes away from the other.

That was a very stupid thing she said; I'm sure she must have something reminiscent of a hobby, herself. How would she feel about similar comments regarding her own interests, I wonder?

I love your comeback, though. ^^ Good one!

Unread 05-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #32
littleanimegirl

I have come across some rude comments in my time, Last year at Anime North I heard one of the hotel directors say I was to fat to cosplay...

And just the other day and I had someone post a comment on my Eternal moon cosplay saying "Sailormoon isn't fat so why are you". Of course I just ignored it and deleted it. Some people are so shallow, I know I am a little on the bigger size but I stll should be allowed to cosplay, And the outfit isn't revealing at all.....

Why can't people just accept us..*sigh*
Unread 05-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #33
Fayte
Wild West Y2K Style

I've been called gay, stupid, and crazy( others I'm sure). I've also been made fun of because my sewing skills are not as good as other peoples. As others have said, comments are gonna come your way since your out of the norm, but I figure, why care? Why care at all since if it wasn't cosplay it would just be something else. Sure, I'm not the best at sewing or prop building ,but I'll either get to that lvl, be happy at were I am, or just not care that someone is better than me at something. There really is always someone better out there so no need stressing it and besides its all about having fun in the end, if your not having fun then why do it? Have fun and be respectful!

~Eb
~Ichigo
~Falling Star
~One Piece

Con list
Anime Weekend Atlanta
Fayte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 10:42 PM   #34
Kazephyr
Shapeshifter

Quote:
I have come across some rude comments in my time, Last year at Anime North I heard one of the hotel directors say I was to fat to cosplay...

And just the other day and I had someone post a comment on my Eternal moon cosplay saying "Sailormoon isn't fat so why are you". Of course I just ignored it and deleted it. Some people are so shallow, I know I am a little on the bigger size but I stll should be allowed to cosplay, And the outfit isn't revealing at all.....

Why can't people just accept us..*sigh*
That was both unprofessional and just plain childish. There is no such thing as someone is too fat, thin, old, etc. to cosplay. Don't feel bad; it's hard not to be mocked, no matter what your body type is, and I think this thread shows that quite clearly.

Your cosplay was wonderful, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. ^^
Unread 05-17-2008, 10:45 PM   #35
hanamaru
stone free!

I really get upset when I hear someone talking about a cosplayer being a "butterface" or when people say "Oh, so-and-so looks so fat in that costume!" We don't all have airbrushed, plastic looking skin in real life, nor do we have perfect size 0 bodies with no scars or wrinkles. It's just mean.

Convention Plans 2011: Metrocon, Anime Festival Orlando, EXPCon
hanamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #36
jennarose
Yeah.

Like some others here, I haven't had any exactly thrown right at my face when I am cosplaying, but I am sure there were some ignorant people who took a look at how I was DRESSED on the outside, completely forgetting to think why I was dressed like that, and totally splurged something along the lines of "What a weird person. Doesn't she have a life?"

Though of coarse those comments are rude, us as cosplayers can't really do anything but to expect them. Sure we can argue back at them, but what more is that going to prove? We'll just be as bad as them. And I know at times it's really necessary to say something back (Like somebody said something REALLY bad...I mean badder than the usual "weirdo" comment), but there's really no point in starting a war that we know that isn't necessary.

So I guess what all we can do is that when we go out in public to cosplay, we need to know ahead of time that people ARE going to stare and say rude things.

Like someone said before...are they THAT insecure to be making fun of someone in costume...most likely.
jennarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 12:55 AM   #37
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanamaru
when I hear someone talking about a cosplayer being a "butterface"
Just to set your mind at ease, "butterface" has nothing to do with weight. It's a term for a shiny or greasy face, especially in photos. And no, we aren't all airbrushed and perfect, but a shiny face can be easily remedied where extra pounds cannot. It's a much more reasonable objection.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)

Last edited by Mangochutney : 05-18-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 01:08 AM   #38
benihime
Kimono Queen

i had a really bad time at a contest one time
i thought the judge looked down on my costume quite a bit like it sucked
i know it was my first time doing a few of those things and i really only had ONE reference picture to work off of and it was in black and white and i know im a bit chunky but seriously DO NOT look at me like i'm inferior to you

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 01:23 AM   #39
ichigo-chan7
Thats me ^ so is that v

-.- *sigh*

well i get the odd obligatory WTF? look from people and wise crack from people at my school but nothing i wasnt really expecting....i just knew i had to expect stupid people bashing something they dont understand....the lack of respect for other people baffles me

like....its just my friend....bless her..i love her to bits but its really irritating when shes a little "too" honestly...and loude. like wed be looking at videos on youtube of cosplay skits and there awesome very dramatic or really funny and shed be all "no that person is too fat to be them" or "shes not pretty enough for blank" and id be all "it doesnt matter cosplay is for everyone accuracy isnt really an issue" shed be all "yeah but still"
the thing that annoys me more than anything is when i asked her "how would you feel if someone told you werent pretty enough for some character" and shes all "well id punch them"

sadly shes a bit simple....and very stubborn...and not too creative either, we have the same arguments about twilight vs harry potter. i dont wanna get started on the twilight thing.....*grumbles*.....i just wanna say something about that, i mean i hate being attacked by harry potter fans because i like twilight im serious i have be harassed for it, if i dont like something i leave it alone like a mature repectful person....some people

*cough* sorry thats been pent up for a while heh *sweat drop*
http://www.animaidcafe.org/
Peace.Love.Anime.Cake
http://ichipuff7.deviantart.com/

Last edited by ichigo-chan7 : 05-18-2008 at 01:30 AM.
ichigo-chan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #40
Auburn_Kitty
'Taters eh?

I just say "F**K E'M ALL!" XD People are so closed minded. Can't except originality and are brain-washed into being jerks. Ya lets go make fun of different people to make my insincerity feel better. >_> Normal people suck. XD

Rei Ryugazaki - FREE! (club outfit) Progress = 30-40% DONE
Auburn_Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #41
_Peppermint_
Sherlockian and Dreamer.

I can understand the general public being freaked out by cosplayers, I mean, its odd, people walking around in elaborate costumes. But cosplayers being mean to other cosplayers?

That just sucks.
Unread 05-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #42
BleachCosplayer
Aizen's Dawg

Angry

Well I haven't really been made fun of, because everyone knows me and wouldn't ever even try to make me mad, but I have been called Mr.T before... Even though I was dressed as Aizen and am NOT black... I loathe people whom just like to try and make people mad or comment on someones costume they worked so hard to make/get...
Unread 05-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #43
Kailyn
The Alpha Bitch

XD I've had all those insults chucked at me at some or the other in the four years that I've been cosplaying. XD The way I see it is if you think I'm fat/ugly/a crap cosplayer, it's your problem, if you don't like because I'm a cosplayer, it is STILL YOUR PROBLEM. I'm perfectly happy in my own skin, you're the one who has a problem with the way I look. Usually, I'm rather amused by insults directed at me because none of them hold a grain of truth. I might not be a supermodel but I'm comfortable in my own skin, just wish others would accept it.
Unread 05-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #44
shadowfox3113
~Naru~

at the mall cosplaying w/ a friend as Naruto (me) and sakura

guy walks by

"What the F**k is this?! Christmas?!"

Of course we just laughed it off because he was stupis enough to not get the holiday even right... but still that was my first insult... so I guess it counts lmao

and like 30 minutes later we were in the food court and EVERYONE looked at us.... we even had people coming out from burger king to ask us stuff... it was unnerving at first, but it ended up being fun... and we took pics on a stone wall and this lady and her boyfriend were whispering and pointing... we thought she was laughing at us... but she ended up sneaking out her cell and snapping a few shots

In gamestop a lady had us stop and take a picture with her so that she could show her friends random people in cotume.... I dont think she even knew who we were lmao

so yea... I havnt had alot of rude comments
Unread 05-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #45
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I don't normally chime in (I'm with Angathol, generally - expect rudeness when you're in public regardless of whether you're part of a con!) but I have the best (worst?) cosplayer-on-cosplayer rudeness story.

It was at Otakon a few years ago. 04 or 05, I think maybe 04. I was walking around as Yami Yugi, in my original wig before it was destroyed by a hot car in the sun - people loved that wig. And still do. It was my first wig, and for quite some time people have thought it one of the best Yami wigs out there (though my new one is way better). I walked right past this pair of teenage guys, and one has the gall to say, very loudly, "Well, at least I used my real hair."

I stopped and looked at him. He was wearing a denim jacket, a sort of pyramid something around his neck (it wasn't a Millennium Puzzle, not even the foam one they sell at Halloween stores), and a duel disk. I didn't see any distinction to his hair to suggest he was supposed to be Yugi, it wasn't spiked or colored. He might have put some gel in it. I couldn't resist. I looked him up and down, snorted, "Well, at least I look good," and walked on my merry way.

Seriously, folks. If you're going to snap at a cosplayer for looking better than you, don't set them up to get the last word in for you. You'll just look dumber than you did in the first place for taking it personally that someone out-cosplayed your cosplay. I'm pretty sure the guy was just some random dork who plays the card game (heheh tournament player maybe?) who decided he could wear some closet clothes and a duel disk and people would fall at his feet adoring his Yugi costume. HAH. Oh little do they know...

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote