Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 169 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 05-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #46
Ryujii
The Blackmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox3113 View Post
"What the F**k is this?! Christmas?!"
LMFAO I'm sorry. That is just too amusing. It would have been an EPIC battle within me not to turn around, give that man an odd look and say "I think you meant halloween, but no it's not christmas OR halloween." then burst out laughing and continue on my merry way.

...I think I'm going to make a shirt with that quote on it...maybe incorporate it into a cosplay....hmmmmm
Ryujii is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #47
Tess
Cupcake Rufflebutt

I've been mocked a lot while walking around outside of cons, especially by guys my age. Their favourite thing to do is come up to me and say something ridiculous like, "Oh hey, you're that one kid from that one show. I LOVE YOUR SAILOR SUIT. AND YOU EVEN HAVE THE CONTACTS. And wow, that wig? That's hot." And they'll go on and on, and you know they're only patronizing you because their friend is standing in the background wearing his A&F polo, laughing his bum off and egging him on. "Dude, look at her legwarmers!" Ugh. [This situation taken from an experience I had at the DC Cherry Blossom Festival several years ago while wearing Momiji for a cosplay gathering.]

Of course, the internet is an entirely different monster. I've gotten into the habit of ignoring it all, if only for my own sanity.

@-->--- Tess

deviantartacpfacebook
Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #48
Nozomi-Chan
Name's Lexx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryujii View Post
LMFAO I'm sorry. That is just too amusing. It would have been an EPIC battle within me not to turn around, give that man an odd look and say "I think you meant halloween, but no it's not christmas OR halloween." then burst out laughing and continue on my merry way.

...I think I'm going to make a shirt with that quote on it...maybe incorporate it into a cosplay....hmmmmm
OMG yes! Make me a shirt with that quote, no one will get it but who cares, its an 'inside' with people from cosplay.com XD
Nozomi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 11:57 AM   #49
Nozomi-Chan
Name's Lexx.

I usually cosplay things that are...rather Common and more 'human'

I'm going to cosplay Lady from devil may cry for the next con. Without all of the arsenal, she looks like a normal person. o-O...

Of course, its a little troublesome to cosplay Near from death note, Mitsukai Dokuro or Hatsune Miku...But still. I didn't get any rude comments for now, I will probably receive them. But As usual, i'll just laugh like Light in episode 37. and scare them away. *Chuckles/giggles, Wheeze, maniacal laughter, wheeze* >: D
Nozomi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 11:57 AM   #50
shadowfox3113
~Naru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryujii View Post

we actually turned around and yelled, "NO! Its cosplay!!!" but the didnt hear us =/

hehe shirt like that would be super funny! If you ever do it, I want pics! XD
Unread 05-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #51
Milady
Cheesecakes Addicted

wow, so bad experiences are related here :/ In France, when we walk in the street in cosplay to go to a convention or when we make photoshoot on a public place, people are just looking at you in a strange way or sometimes, and asked you what is it about: for a movie ? a magazine ? sometimes they ask if you are Harry Potter, (LOL ! ) and say " omg, but that's so pretty ! where did you bought it ? what ?? you made it ? lovely ! ", and sometimes asking if it is for something like Halloween too ( definitely not original ! ) but most of time in a nice way.

In France, the rude cosplay comments come from cosplayers theirself. There is a lot of jealousy from people because someone wanted to do this cosplay too, because 2 persons are wearing the same costume in the same time, or simply for the pleasure to be bitchy. I have already hear about a friend :
- ooh she smells Mac Connald !
and the eternal '" but she is tooooo fat to make this costume !!!" (Well wtf, who cares about it ?)
or from a girl who cosplayed a Chii about another Chii which costume was less well sewed than her but the girl more taken in photo because she was so cute :
- Well, that's Chii-bitch.

About a close friend of mine cosplaying Lara croft :
- Oh, she looks like the real, but omg, she has no breast. ( Well she has actually, and very nice boobs, but human dimensions >.<)

Personnally I have also been harassed at a convention by two young men trying to film under my skirt with a camera, they told me " but what the use to be dressed like that, then ? " I was about to kick them when security arrived Three weeks ago I arrived first at a contest with this costume and someone said " omg this costume is horrible. She probably won because she had sex with the jury". LOL. An entirely lined costume.

Better is not to pay attention, but in another way, if you can bear this naughty comments, you will be able to bear everything in life.

Website
Milady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #52
xaktsuki

Haha I was walking around the mall as Itachi once, and some guy goes "What the hell are you?" And I went right up to him, stared at him, and said TSUKUYOMI!
There was this really long silence and us just staring at eachother like O_O and I just kinda walked away.

It was so awkward but hilarious. xD
xaktsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #53
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
Just to set your mind at ease, "butterface" has nothing to do with weight. It's a term for a shiny or greasy face, especially in photos. And no, we aren't all airbrushed and perfect, but a shiny face can be easily remedied where extra pounds cannot. It's a much more reasonable objection.
In my experience, "butterface" refers to a girl whose body and/or costume look nice, but her face is less than fortunate, hence "but-her-face." This is generally followed by comments about unorthodox uses of paper bags. While it doesn't have much to do with weight, it's still an insult.
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #54
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angathol View Post
In my experience, "butterface" refers to a girl whose body and/or costume look nice, but her face is less than fortunate, hence "but-her-face." This is generally followed by comments about unorthodox uses of paper bags. While it doesn't have much to do with weight, it's still an insult.
Wow, you just described my first experience with the term nearly exactly. Back in high school, my now ex-boyfriend and his friend were talking about some girl they had english class with, and the term came up. I had never heard it, so I asked what it was, and that's what they said, nearly verbatim, complete with comments about what they'd do to her if she donned a mask or paper bag.

It is a bad insult, usually only said by sexist pigs, but all the same, I can't help but chuckle whenever someone uses it or explains it.

Anyways, back on topic, just about all the rude comments I've ever gotten or heard when cosplaying, were recieved in Baltimore, at Otakon. Maybe it has to do with the con's location, and the fact that you have to walk so far in between the hotels and the con center through a heavily populated urban area, but I've never heard such rude things yelled out in public.

I've blocked a lot of them out, but suffice it to say, some of the nicer comments involved girls being propositioned to when crossing the street. The worst behavior was baseball fans throwing beer and trash at con goers, accompanied by language that would embarass George Carlin.
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #55
Ashbrie
SUDDENLY MIRACLE TRAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animeisha View Post
Anyways, back on topic, just about all the rude comments I've ever gotten or heard when cosplaying, were recieved in Baltimore, at Otakon. Maybe it has to do with the con's location, and the fact that you have to walk so far in between the hotels and the con center through a heavily populated urban area, but I've never heard such rude things yelled out in public.

I've blocked a lot of them out, but suffice it to say, some of the nicer comments involved girls being propositioned to when crossing the street. The worst behavior was baseball fans throwing beer and trash at con goers, accompanied by language that would embarass George Carlin.
God, I nearly forgot! Otakon seems to be the only place where my friends and I get harassed practically every time we go outside between con and hotel :/ Never at AnimeNEXT, or Katsucon, or AnimeUSA, or Ohayocon...only Otakon. Rude baseball fans, 'gangster' types trying to proposition us, creepy stalker types...all kinds of harrasment -_-

Aaaaand that is why I refuse to go to Otakon at this point. Unless it's possible to get into the hotel that's connects to the con via skywalk, which...is pretty much never. Haha.
Unread 05-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #56
kuko-chan
Waterbender Extraodinaire

I can't understand why people feel the need to tear down fellow cosplayers by ragging on their weight! When I go to cons and take pictures, I never pay attention to the weight of the person, I look at their costume and how amazing it is. Anyone of any weight can pull off a good costume.
Unread 05-18-2008, 02:14 PM   #57
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEdibleSeed View Post
God, I nearly forgot! Otakon seems to be the only place where my friends and I get harassed practically every time we go outside between con and hotel :/ Never at AnimeNEXT, or Katsucon, or AnimeUSA, or Ohayocon...only Otakon. Rude baseball fans, 'gangster' types trying to proposition us, creepy stalker types...all kinds of harrasment -_-

Aaaaand that is why I refuse to go to Otakon at this point. Unless it's possible to get into the hotel that's connects to the con via skywalk, which...is pretty much never. Haha.
dude i live in maryland. down here it's baltimore, most of pg county, and south east dc. highest crime rates in the area. gangs and whatnot. and the whole baseball thing...well there is the stadium like right there. i haven't been harrassed yet but that might be becuase i travel with rather large or intimidating guys and my costumes are never overthe top or anything. i dunno. that really sucks though. otakon is fun on the inside.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #58
Ashbrie
SUDDENLY MIRACLE TRAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySiren View Post
dude i live in maryland. down here it's baltimore, most of pg county, and south east dc. highest crime rates in the area. gangs and whatnot. and the whole baseball thing...well there is the stadium like right there. i haven't been harrassed yet but that might be becuase i travel with rather large or intimidating guys and my costumes are never overthe top or anything. i dunno. that really sucks though. otakon is fun on the inside.
It doesn't help that I am TERRIFIED of large cities. I'm very much a small town giiiirl T_T

I need to make more guy friends. Last time I went to Otakon, I travelled back in forth with two other girls (they and myself all had fairly showy costumes), and a crossplaying boy. Ahaha...yeeeeah...
Unread 05-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #59
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

To be honest, I originally wore a mask on my cosplay so people wouldn't see me and say things like "you don't look the part, or your too ugly to be so and so" Which happened a few times when I was younger and was just starting cosplaying. I was Yakumo Fuji from 3x3 Eyes. THen it just evolved and now I wear a mask for other reasons.

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #60
danayoki

O____O.......
Didn't expect so many replies after just one day xDD
I've read them all...and some seem hilarious, some just plain rude -_-

OhMyGawd, I can't believe I forgot this one!!
Well...a friend who's going to be in a future cosplay with me, looked at our j-pop cosplay performances...he told my other friend that it was gay (-_-) and my friend told me that he said that...and then i asked my friend who said it was gay about it....and he said my other friend said it was gay too..
srry...confusing huh? >< i don't wanna give out names so ya

Wanna see for urself?!
http://youtube.com/danayoki
danayoki is offline   Reply With Quote