Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 160 votes, 4.89 average.
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #6691
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

I recommended therapy as a person who experienced similar experiences. Not as a person who feels like throwing therapy around, anger is a hard thing to deal with, there is nothing wrong with sticking up for yourself but there will occasionally be times where a person thinks you sticking up is a challenge or you might get angrier and things could blow out of proportion. Dealing with anger is hard. I know I do every day. Point being is anger should dictate your feelings, or it could get you in to a mess.

Now I'm done with this convo, it'd be best to drop it.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #6692
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
I recommended therapy as a person who experienced similar experiences. Not as a person who feels like throwing therapy around, anger is a hard thing to deal with, there is nothing wrong with sticking up for yourself but there will occasionally be times where a person thinks you sticking up is a challenge or you might get angrier and things could blow out of proportion. Dealing with anger is hard. I know I do every day. Point being is anger should dictate your feelings, or it could get you in to a mess.
It's still not your place. That is my psychiatrist's decision, not yours. Don't do my doctor's job.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #6693
Ilafatyu
That guy

Not too long ago (or maybe it was?), I went bowling with my boyfriend. We saw a few cosplayers there, which I thought was cool since I'd never seen anyone cosplaying out and about. He kept mentioning how weird they were, even shaking his head when one got a strike and gave a cutesy peace-sign to her friends. They weren't being loud or disturbing anyone, they were just having fun.

I thought it was strange, and still do. The two of us had the nerdiest discussions involving the Sith, old episodes of Doctor Who, and even Eragon, but he just couldn't wrap his head around cosplay. At that point, he had no idea that I attended conventions or cosplayed, so I believe that was his honest opinion.

...He's my ex now, but not because of that.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Sheik armor upgrade - 0%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #6694
pinkkiller

@Shana05: I think being bothered by people harassing you is a perfectly normal reaction - along with having the experience stay with you for a long time if you fail to do something about it - and that there is absolutely nothing wrong with standing up for yourself.
pinkkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #6695
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

So I just got back from Katsucon and had myself a run in with a rather rude person. While cosplaying Alibaba from Magi, I met up with a friend who was cosplaying Loki. We were talking (Since I have not seen her in a few months) and someone walked up to us and said "Can I get your picture?" We looked at each other and asked "Do you want both of us or just one of us?" The girl turns to me and in a very rude tone says, "Are you from the Avengers?" I'm taken aback a bit, and was just like "...No?" Then she just goes "Yeah." again in a very rude tone and just begins snapping pictures of my friend. It was just...all in all rude.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #6696
animazn

I found this more funny than offensive. I was cosplaying Black Star and these guys were making a song off of improv and they were including people from the crowd. So I was waving my hands and their like "some guy who's name escapes me but I'm pretty sure you're probably from Kingdom Hearts". Cause you know like everyone in KH is sleeveless xD

Cosplay Page
Cosplays 2014:
Kirito-Gun Gale Online 30%
Akihito(dance version)-KNK 90%
Akihito(school version)-KNK 0%
Veigar-League of Legends 0%
Zabuza-Naruto 0%
Hikaru Hitachiin-OHHC 80%
Haru(Fem version)-Free! 10%
Ping-Mulan 30%
Sandwich-kun-SAO 10%
animazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #6697
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

To be honest, I think the rudest comments I've ever gotten in person are towards the character I cosplay more than me personally. Infact, I've gotten some downright offensive and pretty dang awful comments regarding that.

The worst and most frequent for me was when I cosplayed Mituna from Homestuck who has brain damage, a lot of people seem to speculate that he's autistic or something but it's stated that it's brain damage in the comic. The amount of people who referred to me as "retarded", treated me like a child over it in regards to the character and just flat out asked rude questions were shocking.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #6698
rajamitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroSonyCat View Post
To be honest, I think the rudest comments I've ever gotten in person are towards the character I cosplay more than me personally. Infact, I've gotten some downright offensive and pretty dang awful comments regarding that.
This. For Ohayocon this year, I dressed as Hope from Final Fantasy XIII walking around with a Snow and... yeah. Worst was some jerk who felt the need to walk by and yell at us twice when I was standing by a wall, trying to fix a bit of my costume. "OH, you're from the BAD GAME!" "Everyone's welcome here... EXCEPT FOR PEOPLE FROM THE BAD GAME!"
rajamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #6699
Dollicon
Derelict

I've never had anything rude told to me about my cosplaying, but I have an overweight friend who's terrified to cosplay because of her weight. She doesn't want to be made fun of, so refuses to go to anime conventions/cosplay or even talk about anime and things in public.
Dollicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #6700
Shirayuki~Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroSonyCat View Post
This. It didn't happen to me, but my when my friend and I were cosplaying Uni and Bluebell from KHR, we participated in cosplay chess. And this girl, when we were about to go on stage, was talking about KHR and she said she really hated Uni(my friend was on the other team, so she wasn't near us), so I just awkwardly nodded. Not a huge deal, but still. If you don't like the character, keep it to yourself and don't complain about it to the cosplayer/their friends.

Cosplays:
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Tharja- Fire Emblem: Awakening
Opal Beifong- Legend of Korra

Shirayuki~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #6701
BlazeofWar60
lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangledinblue View Post
So I just got back from Katsucon and had myself a run in with a rather rude person. While cosplaying Alibaba from Magi, I met up with a friend who was cosplaying Loki. We were talking (Since I have not seen her in a few months) and someone walked up to us and said "Can I get your picture?" We looked at each other and asked "Do you want both of us or just one of us?" The girl turns to me and in a very rude tone says, "Are you from the Avengers?" I'm taken aback a bit, and was just like "...No?" Then she just goes "Yeah." again in a very rude tone and just begins snapping pictures of my friend. It was just...all in all rude.
Hey I think I took a picture of you at the merchants alley on Saturday Thanks for allowing me to take a picture of you and your Magi group. Your cosplays were awesome!

That person really sounds rude. There's no reason or excuses for people to be rude to a cosplayer who's not in the series that you want to take pictures of. She could've kindly asked the Loki cosplayer first for a picture or let you join in the picture with the Loki. I usually allow characters from different series to pose together in pictures. It adds to the fun when you get to see the pictures later, y'know.

This didn't happen to me at Katsu but just some general rude comments I've had were things like "crossplayers are ugly" or "retarded". I mean, c'mon there shouldn't be any boundaries - whether it be race, gender, or any handicaps - barring anyone from engaging in the fun of cosplay, why be so judgmental about things?

"This world is hell, we were born into hell. That doesn't change the fact that I can find ways to enjoy it."
"It's simply a matter of choice - this world sucks to you because you choose it to be so to you."
BlazeofWar60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #6702
ChibiNeriBuni
Baby Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollicon View Post
I've never had anything rude told to me about my cosplaying, but I have an overweight friend who's terrified to cosplay because of her weight. She doesn't want to be made fun of, so refuses to go to anime conventions/cosplay or even talk about anime and things in public.
I know how your friend feels, I am pretty chubby and I never really wanted to cosplay because I felt like I would be made fun of or told that people my size shouldn't cosplay because it makes the character ugly...but last year I was FINALLY able to muster up enough courage to cosplay and I loved it! I was dragged of the house by two of my younger cousins at first when I wanted to chicken out but in the end I was happy I did something I was afraid to do.

In the end if no one likes your cosplay because of weight, height or skin color then thats their beef. No need to be mean because someone is dressed up and is into something they just aren't.

^-^ Dollicon in time your friend will see that there is no need to fear cosplaying or talking about anime in public because she doesn't want to be made fun of.

Cosplays:
Amethyst (Steven Universe) 100%,Harley Quinn [O.L] (Batman),Aoba Serageki (Dramatical Murder) 80%, Clear (Dramatical Murder) ,Shion No.6 100%,Hanji Zoe (Shingeki no Kyojin)

Mako date outfit (Kill la Kill) 90%,Rei (Free!) 95%, Nai (Karneval) 90%, Satsuki Momoi (Kurko no Basket) 40%

Makoto (Free!),Monaco {Hetalia} (planning), Sailor Neptune (planning), Neo Queen Serenity (planning)
ChibiNeriBuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #6703
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeofWar60 View Post
That person really sounds rude. There's no reason or excuses for people to be rude to a cosplayer who's not in the series that you want to take pictures of. She could've kindly asked the Loki cosplayer first for a picture or let you join in the picture with the Loki. I usually allow characters from different series to pose together in pictures. It adds to the fun when you get to see the pictures later, y'know.
If she really just wanted photos of Loki, there are nicer ways of saying so.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #6704
Amikyo
Stage Crew Zeus

This didn't happen to me personally, but this year at AMKE I knew someone who was in an elevator with, like, 15 other people (elevators are always stuffed full at cons, aren't they?). Along with te cosplayers and con-goers there was a woman with two young children. THe woman spent the whole ride muttering or glaring or whatever, and when she got out, she turned and said (in front of her children!) "You're all a bunch of f****** freaks."

Additionally, (and this was a shock at first, but not so much anymore) at ACen last year, I cosplayed Kikyo, and had one girl tell me, "Kikyo, you should stay dead!" I replied, "But I don't want to be dead," and she ended up complementing my cosplay. I find it funny now, and wish I had responded in character, but I wasn't expecting it.
Amikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #6705
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amikyo View Post
This didn't happen to me personally, but this year at AMKE I knew someone who was in an elevator with, like, 15 other people (elevators are always stuffed full at cons, aren't they?). Along with te cosplayers and con-goers there was a woman with two young children. THe woman spent the whole ride muttering or glaring or whatever, and when she got out, she turned and said (in front of her children!) "You're all a bunch of f****** freaks."
I would have told her "You're setting a bad example for your children."