Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 170 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 03-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #6751
peacelovepandas

l am just going to put this out there for all the Black cosplayers; you are all freaking amazing. I don't know why, but I think its kind of cool that you continue to do what you love and don't let how you look get in the way. I am Native American, and get bullied a lot for cosplaying. So don't give up, especially because some of the best cosplayers l know personally are black.

Unread 03-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #6752
Voodoo Doll
High Jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suuki View Post
I haven't really cosplayed yet but I started working on several serious cosplays for anime expo. I told some friends I was doing Sakura Haruno from Naruto and one is all like..
You are too mexican to be Sakura, and the other one was like, I agree..

I am not even mexican.. >> I am half black. I hate how when you don't have pale skin, people think you can't cosplay that person.

Whatever, when the whole cosplay is complete, I will show them how awesome I look. (getting them all handmade and stuff. ^^)
Yeah don't worry about people like that. Those type of people aren't worth any of your time. Cosplay is suppose to be for everyone, doesn't what their race is! From looking at your avatar you will make a lovely Sakura. Don't let anyone stop you from cosplay. It doesn't matter if you are Asian, Caucasian, African, or Hispanic you can cosplay anyone you want, it's your given right as a person!

That's the spirit!

In-Progress~*
Nagisa Motomiya (AKB0048) - 10%

The Near-Future~*

Yui Hirasawa (K-On)
Nanami Haruka (Uta no Prince-sama)

Voodoo Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #6753
improvised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angathol View Post
I'm not sure that only total ditzes would inquire as to why any sensible person would go around wearing a strap between their pantlegs. :P

If you're going to go out in public looking abnormal, people are going to treat you as if you're abnormal. It's something that cosplayers need to either accept or deal with in an appropriate and civil manner.

Yes, I've gotten comments before, but you learn to take them in stride. After all, wearing a fur-trimmed coat and polyester pants and carrying around some kind of crazy wizard staff doesn't exactly make me look like a respectable member of society, and I don't expect to be treated like one while wearing it. Yes, "cosplayers are people too," but everyone knows that if you're not conforming to societal norms or expectations (and this goes for attire), you won't be treated with as much respect as someone who does. Although it is a bit disconcerting that conformity is considered crucial enough that someone would notice something as minor as an oddly positioned strap on your pants, sometimes people can't help but laugh awkwardly when obscure references or hobbies are explained to them, and I wouldn't hold it against them.
To be fair, social norms *can* be pretty stupid, though.

I've only been to one con so far, and no one said anything to me one way or the other. I did have some creepy old guy take a picture of me at the hotel and then hurry away before I could say anything.
improvised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #6754
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

This isn't rude, just really weird. Today we were having a casual cosplay meetup at the mall. This lady comes up to us and starts talking about Jesus. I wanted to just keep walking but everyone else had stopped and I didn't want to lose the group. The lady was polite but my exact words after she left were "What just happened?"
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #6755
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
This isn't rude, just really weird. Today we were having a casual cosplay meetup at the mall. This lady comes up to us and starts talking about Jesus. I wanted to just keep walking but everyone else had stopped and I didn't want to lose the group. The lady was polite but my exact words after she left were "What just happened?"
I can't help but wonder why some religious people believe that we're...Idk, devil-worshippers or something.

~ don't judge other cosplayers, because in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps :3 ~

2014 Cosplay: Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%
2015 Cosplay: Poochyena Gijinka [Pokémon] - 0%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Mythicon | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25

Last edited by AnimeLuxray25 : 03-09-2013 at 08:25 PM.
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #6756
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeLuxray25 View Post
I can't wonder why some religious people believe that we're...Idk, devil-worshippers or something.
I'd go into discussion about my theory behind this, but there's enough drama in the community already. heh

Some religious are just...yeah. I'll leave it at that.

Promotion of My Beloved's Cosplay Page
Pink Lily Cosplay Facebook Page

Planned Conventions and Outfits

Katsucon 2015
Hourai Doll - Touhou Project
Vash Zwingli/Switzerland - Axis Powers Hetalia
Takeshi Morinozuka - Ouran High School Host Club
Naudae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #6757
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

Well, while I'm here I'll just throw in my two cents about the whole religion thing. I was raised in religious household. And from that household I took away several important lessons. It isn't your place to judge others, it doesn't matter if you're "right" when discussing religion because the moment it crosses the line from discussion to an argument, "right" no longer matters, and probably my favorite, God loves you just the way you are no matter what choices you make, which brought me all kinds of comfort when I was struggling with certain parts of my life.

Which is why people like Westburo and those people that protest outside of the Anime Expo and Fanime make me angry. I cannot begin to tell you how offended I am by them.

Last year at Anime Expo there was a long line that went outside to get badges. I already had mine from the day before and I walked down the sidewalk, trying to ignore the protest yelling about fire and brimstone and hell and whatnot. But then I saw one of the girls in line crying. I asked her what was wrong and she pointed to one of the men yelling with a megaphone and she told me she had been standing here listening to this guy telling her she was going to hell for being here and all other sorts of issues she was having that this guy was making her think of instead of looking forward to a fun day.

I was mad. So I gave her a hug and told her that if she believed in God then he loves her just the way she is and those guys were morons because they seemed to have forgotten the 'love thy neighbor as thyself' rule. Because last I checked, it doesn't say 'love thy neighbor as thyself unless they be gay/trans/a cosplayer.' She said she didn't think that she believed in God so I laughed, patted her shoulder and told said she didn't have anything to worry about, then! So I stayed with her and let her borrow one of my earbuds so we could watch stupid youtube videos until she go inside.

Sorry that was so long, but every time I think about that girl I get upset all over again. All those people are doing are spreading hatred.

Future Conventions
Comikaze 2014
ALA 2015
WonderCon 2015
Fanime 2015

Future Cosplays
Richard - Looking For Group
Anders - Dragon Age 2
Nui Harime - Kill La Kill
Hiruma - Eyeshield 21

Bm-Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #6758
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Yeah, I never got the idea of cosplay being anti-Christian. I wouldn't put this lady in the same category as the people who protest Fanime. She was perfectly polite to us, it was just so weird. I just figured to share the story in this thread as I think there wouldn't be many stories for a "nice but weird cosplay comments" thread.
Unread 03-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #6759
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

True... I guess I should share a 'nice, but weird' story of my own to spread the love and awkwardness!

AM2 I was dressed as Ezio. It was the first year and small. I had this old couple come up to me and my sister and the man got less then a foot away from my face and said "Now, I'm from Tennessee..."

Oh, shit here we go...

"And I ain't NEVER seen anything like this. What on earth is going on?"

So I told him it was basically a Ren Faire for cartoons and comics and he patted the top of my hooded head told me I looked nice and shuffled away with his wife, saying they needed to come to California more often.

It was a rather odd encounter that makes my sister laugh even now.

Future Conventions
Comikaze 2014
ALA 2015
WonderCon 2015
Fanime 2015

Future Cosplays
Anders - Dragon Age 2
Hiruma - Eyeshield 21

Unread 03-10-2013, 05:07 AM   #6760
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

For a lot of Bible-thumpers, anything that isn't praying or reading your Bible should be cast aside because it could draw your attention away from God. And those that cosplay are especially sinful because you are putting cartoons before God, which is idolatry and a mortal sin. So by protesting conventions, Bible-thumpers think they are serving God and warning us of our evil ways.

Except for those Westboro Baptist guys. They're just real-life trolls.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #6761
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigress View Post
For a lot of Bible-thumpers, anything that isn't praying or reading your Bible should be cast aside because it could draw your attention away from God. And those that cosplay are especially sinful because you are putting cartoons before God, which is idolatry and a mortal sin. So by protesting conventions, Bible-thumpers think they are serving God and warning us of our evil ways.
And don't forgot the classic con tradition of drunken orgies with a large helping of marijuana followed by the standard goat sacrifice while everyone Caramel-dances around the alter it was placed on.

You know, the usual con stuff.

Future Conventions
Comikaze 2014
ALA 2015
WonderCon 2015
Fanime 2015

Future Cosplays
Anders - Dragon Age 2
Hiruma - Eyeshield 21

Unread 03-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #6762
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bm-Atticus View Post
And don't forgot the classic con tradition of drunken orgies with a large helping of marijuana followed by the standard goat sacrifice while everyone Caramel-dances around the alter it was placed on.

You know, the usual con stuff.
Ah, my FAVORITE part!
I JUST got myself a new hockey mask to wear to the upcoming satanic sacrifice this year! Gonna be sweet!!!

Yeah, this is why I stay away from religion. Period.

Katsucon 2015
Unread 03-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #6763
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

I think the most rude thing I've gotten is talking about possibly cosplaying Sebastian to a girl I met at the Kuro photoshoot today, and she just looks at me and says "Don't even try. There are a few male Sebastians around here, it'll never be worth it to try and get noticed."

Like...seriously?
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #6764
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntomKitten View Post
I think the most rude thing I've gotten is talking about possibly cosplaying Sebastian to a girl I met at the Kuro photoshoot today, and she just looks at me and says "Don't even try. There are a few male Sebastians around here, it'll never be worth it to try and get noticed."

Like...seriously?
I got more or less the same response, but mine was...different in terminology. It goes back to my original post in this thread, so yeah. People are...mean, to say the least. I kinda want to cosplay Sebastian myself, but apparently it's rather difficult to pull off to the point where "you'll get noticed", according to the legion of fangirls. Oh, and don't even think of planning it if you're my complexion. I nearly got my face clawed off, literally, for even saying it as a joke to a Ciel cosplayer I was chatting with at Katsucon and random passerby overheard me. I believe the exact quote was "NO NI.... SEBBY!!!" So, I quickly made my way away from her and just went on about my business.

Anyway, I think you'd look pretty convincing. I say do it and show them how wrong they were.

Katsucon 2015
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #6765
Touya no miko
TnM

I wouldn't worry too much about those religious protestors. Their goal isn't really to "preach" about the bible or anything. It's all an elaborate scheme. They purposely try to get the opposing side offended enough to get physically assaulted by them. If that happens, they take it to the courts and sue you for thousands of dollars. Protesting at a convention is like a gold mine to them. They probably could care less if you believed in god or not.

On the other hand, the incident between BBYO and Katsucon is a different story. That was true religious intolerance or intolerance in general.

Seras Victoria-Blood version
Mulan

Last edited by Touya no miko : 03-10-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Touya no miko is offline   Reply With Quote