Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 173 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #6826
MeilinII
Captain of the KaRei Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naudae View Post
So, I was recently at a small gathering of cosplayers dressed as, of course, the awesome Prussia from Axis Powers Hetalia. Everything was going more or less fine until a comment was made to our Hungary as to whether or not she'd pair up with either Austria or Prussia. Of course she'd willingly pair up with Austria, but and I quote:

"If we had a cute Prussia, maybe I'd pick him."
"But you have a really handsome one right next to you"
<points to me>
<I start smiling due to light embarassment and mild happiness>
"Uh...I said CUTE, not black!"
<my mood instantly died>

Needless to say, everyone else got really quiet. I just turned to look at her and walked off. A few others tailed after me and tried to cheer me up, but the damage was already done. Why does this keep happening to me? Am I that bad of a cosplayer?
*e hugs you so hard* Oh baby no, you're a great cosplayer. You'll notice she said nothing about your costume being bad, but she implied she didn't think black people could be good looking. Screw that racist bitch, whoever said you looked handsome clearly had a better attitude!

Finished costumes for 2014:
God Tier John Egbert, Meenah Pexies - Homestuck
Kai Hiwatari - Beyblade 2000
Ness - Earthbound
Team Rocket Grunt, Trainer Red, Pikachu - Pokemon
Itachi, Sasuke - Naruto

Planned costumes for 2014:
Hubert - Tales of Graces F - Planned
Timpani - Super Paper Mario - Planned
MeilinII is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #6827
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naudae View Post
So, I was recently at a small gathering of cosplayers dressed as, of course, the awesome Prussia from Axis Powers Hetalia. Everything was going more or less fine until a comment was made to our Hungary as to whether or not she'd pair up with either Austria or Prussia. Of course she'd willingly pair up with Austria, but and I quote:

"If we had a cute Prussia, maybe I'd pick him."
"But you have a really handsome one right next to you"
<points to me>
<I start smiling due to light embarassment and mild happiness>
"Uh...I said CUTE, not black!"
<my mood instantly died>

Needless to say, everyone else got really quiet. I just turned to look at her and walked off. A few others tailed after me and tried to cheer me up, but the damage was already done. Why does this keep happening to me? Am I that bad of a cosplayer?
That's incredibly rude and racist. Shame on that person. You're awesome and so are your cosplays.

~ don't judge other cosplayers, because in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps :3 ~

2014 Cosplay: Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%
2015 Cosplay: Poochyena Gijinka [Pokémon] - 5%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Mythicon | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #6828
secretxagent

Honestly I would take that comment with a grain of salt because at the end of the day that girl has to live with herself and her hate.
secretxagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #6829
13Kai-Kai
HisokaKurosaki3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaya View Post
Cosplayers with scars unite!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
I have three scars on my face alone.
*Fistbumps you both*

AUSA 2014
Anri (Durarara)
Inukashi (No.6)
Jigglypuff Gijinka
Kairi (KH 1)
Lisanna (Fairy Tail)

Katsucon 2015
Hakuei (Magi)
The Dream (Cardcaptors)
Shizuo (Durarara)
France (Hetalia)
Mr. K (Gravitation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyokun View Post
Plan for the worst, hope for the best, be happy that nothing blew up.
13Kai-Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:59 AM   #6830
Moonsong
daughter of evil

Ugh, some of these comments make me sick! How on earth could people be so mean and judgmental, especially regarding things such as scars and skin color - WHICH ARE PART OF A PERSON AND CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE CHANGED...??

If you absolutely must think negative things about someone else, fine - be a douchebag, but there isn't any reason why you can't keep those thoughts to yourself.

On hiatus until 2015.

★Saber EXTRA - 100% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #6831
KalSin

These are the kinds of things that make me terribly paranoid about cosplaying... T.T
KalSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #6832
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalSin View Post
These are the kinds of things that make me terribly paranoid about cosplaying... T.T
Oh please don't let these stories make you paranoid and not want to cosplay. For every one rude person story there is like 20 awesome stories that come from cosplay. So don't let it discourage you. Go and cosplay and have a good time!

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #6833
EmoxJerk
Love Way Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangledinblue View Post
Oh please don't let these stories make you paranoid and not want to cosplay. For every one rude person story there is like 20 awesome stories that come from cosplay. So don't let it discourage you. Go and cosplay and have a good time!
Most definitely! There are a ton of awesome moments for every 1 negative moment! It's just that we tend to dwell and think a lot about the few bad moments rather than the numerous good ones. ^_^
-Hanji / Rivaille (AoT)
-Snow Miku

Facebook | WorldCosplay
EmoxJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #6834
Amanita

Naudae, I'm sorry that happened, what an awful thing to say to you!
I would have stood up and said something to them, that's disgusting. Nobody should have to be trashed on because of their color, especially in this day and age.
And when that shit happens, the person saying something so nasty NEEDS to be called on it.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #6835
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalSin View Post
Sorry if my experiences kinda jarred you, but I had to vent somehow.

Regardless, you should NEVER be dissuaded from cosplaying due to someone else's bad experiences. This is more so a chronicle of what people go through and what idiotic asshats(can I say that on this forum?) people encounter. In my case, I'm just still upset that I had that happen within the very fandom I was told wouldn't care. Nonetheless, go for it and cosplay! As that overused disclaimer on those advertisements we all have seen goes...

Your experiences with this may vary.

So go for it! Do NOT let anything stop you. Ever. You are only defeated when you let "them" win. We cosplayers are a family and as far as I'm concerned, YOU are family as well. So I'll wholeheartedly support you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
I have three scars on my face alone.
As far as scarring goes, I know precisely what you and the other are going through.

If you look at my cosplay photos where the characters are supposed to be wearing short sleeves or shorts...well, why do you think I'm wearing black under armor?

Promotion of My Beloved's Cosplay Page
Pink Lily Cosplay Facebook Page

Planned Conventions and Outfits

Katsucon 2015
Hourai Doll - Touhou Project
Vash Zwingli/Switzerland - Axis Powers Hetalia
Takeshi Morinozuka - Ouran High School Host Club

Last edited by Michi : 05-12-2013 at 08:41 AM. Reason: merging a double post
Naudae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #6836
Volttekka

Um, I'm kinda new to cosplaying, but I think I've been guilty of being rude to someone else in costume.

Last year was my first time actually cosplaying at a convention (AM2 2012), and I had a rather shoddy Dr. Stein cosplay.
The coat was a costume store labcoat with the stitches painted on, pants and shoes were plainclothes, and shirt was hastily sewn together.
The only saving grace was the giant bolt, which I managed to get to move by following a guide I found on here.

I wasn't expecting to find anyone else cosplaying the same character as me, so when I found someone else dressed as Stein, I was kinda nervous.
His outfit was a bit better than mine, but the bolt was something like cardboard.
I went up to him, greeted him, and started nervously twisting my bolt.
I think I might have said something along the lines of, "well, at least mine moves."
I think he looked a bit disappointed, not sure, I lost interest and walked away too quickly.

I didn't think much of it until I read this thread, so I just wanna say, Other Stein, if you're reading this, sorry.

tl;dr New cosplayer thinks he insulted someone by mistake
Volttekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #6837
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Don't let this thread discourage you. It's the Internet equivalent of sitting around the campfire and telling ghost stories. :3

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 01:54 AM   #6838
lovesexnpocky
Add that to the tally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volttekka View Post
Um, I'm kinda new to cosplaying, but I think I've been guilty of being rude to someone else in costume.

Last year was my first time actually cosplaying at a convention (AM2 2012), and I had a rather shoddy Dr. Stein cosplay.
The coat was a costume store labcoat with the stitches painted on, pants and shoes were plainclothes, and shirt was hastily sewn together.
The only saving grace was the giant bolt, which I managed to get to move by following a guide I found on here.

I wasn't expecting to find anyone else cosplaying the same character as me, so when I found someone else dressed as Stein, I was kinda nervous.
His outfit was a bit better than mine, but the bolt was something like cardboard.
I went up to him, greeted him, and started nervously twisting my bolt.
I think I might have said something along the lines of, "well, at least mine moves."
I think he looked a bit disappointed, not sure, I lost interest and walked away too quickly.

I didn't think much of it until I read this thread, so I just wanna say, Other Stein, if you're reading this, sorry.

tl;dr New cosplayer thinks he insulted someone by mistake
I think there are a large sum of us who have thought something rude in our heads or even said out loud. I've bit my tongue a few times, myself. But don't worry, I mean, you admit to it! You're human!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaya View Post
I posted this story in another thread asking about good scar concealing products. I'd like to share it here too.

I was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer and had to have a hysterectomy. It left a rather long and large scar on my stomach from above the umbilicus to below the bikini line. In my opinion, I thought the scar didn't look too bad, so I decided to do a dream cosplay of mine that I had been planning for awhile.

The costume showed quite of bit of my abdominal area, which includes the scar. I had a person approach me and say, "Could you cover up your C-Section please?!
That's disgusting! " Needless to say I was very upset. It wasn't a C-Section, it was a freaking tumor!

To be honest, I really don't care too much about my scar showing, but now I know how mean others can be when it comes to things like this. Due to this experience, I'm afraid to do anymore characters with a visible midriff. It makes me feel uncomfortable knowing that others can see it.
First off, congrats on the survivor status!

Next, if anyone had come up to me and said that I would have likely got a little angry. One of my friends has huge scar on her leg, and when I was introduced to her, I never even noticed. It was really shocking to us, because of how self conscience she was about it, that she cosplayed a character with a short skirt that did anything but hide her scar.

I hope one day you find the courage to not worry about that anymore, but I can't imagine what that's like.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood!

Last edited by Michi : 05-12-2013 at 08:40 AM. Reason: merging a double post
lovesexnpocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:37 AM   #6839
caseroo12
Jaegar Pilot

At Anime Los Angeles 2013, someone pointed out my peg tooth (its a really skinny tooth) I wasn't concerned about it before but now I'm incredibly self conscious about it :T
I've also had someone call me a "showoff" after I took second place at a Hetalia meet up cosplay contest.
caseroo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #6840
Captain Kaiba
What's up, Proto-butt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseroo12 View Post
At Anime Los Angeles 2013, someone pointed out my peg tooth (its a really skinny tooth) I wasn't concerned about it before but now I'm incredibly self conscious about it :T
I've also had someone call me a "showoff" after I took second place at a Hetalia meet up cosplay contest.
Sounds like they were just jealous and they'd be the ones showing off if they won second place.
Captain Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote