Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 122 votes, 4.86 average.
Unread 06-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #6931
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeLuxray25 View Post
Wow, sore loser(s), much? That isn't very mature of the mother at all.
That's what I was thinking. I can give the kid a pass because they're so young but really the mother should be setting a better example.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #6932
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelflight View Post
I entered the youth division of a cosplay contest a couple of months ago and it turned out another kid entering was in line right behind me (along with her mother.) Well I won the youth division and when I came back to sit down her mom just sat there and glared at me while her eight year old daughter cried. I felt bad for the kid, but the mom was absolutely horrifying. I heard her whisper a few snide comments about my cosplay to the person beside her. And then she told the guy it was my fault her daughter was crying!
It's fine to be upset about losing, but you don't need to make fun of the competition!
I must say its amazing how many sore losers there even with adults. Almost ever con I compete at there is at least one person who feels to need to make snide and rude comments about the winner. Like "Oh there wig wasn't the right color." or "They didn't use the right fabric." I heard someone say once "I should have won, the crowd liked us more then them.) It makes me so mad, especially when others are saying it about my friends. Yeah I'll admit I'm upset when I don't win, but I smile and say congratulations to my fellow cosplayers.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #6933
Moonsong
daughter of evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangledinblue View Post
I must say its amazing how many sore losers there even with adults. Almost ever con I compete at there is at least one person who feels to need to make snide and rude comments about the winner. Like "Oh there wig wasn't the right color." or "They didn't use the right fabric." I heard someone say once "I should have won, the crowd liked us more then them.) It makes me so mad, especially when others are saying it about my friends. Yeah I'll admit I'm upset when I don't win, but I smile and say congratulations to my fellow cosplayers.
This. I absolutely hate this culture in parenting now where every kid has to be a winner. That's a nice concept in theory, but the hard and true fact is that life isn't fair. There are winners, and there are losers, and the sooner you prepare your child for that fact, the better. Losing doesn't mean you're stupid or incapable or anything like that - it just means that someone was a little better than you. Instead of pitching a fit, work to improve your costuming skills. If you have time to whine, then you have time to improve.

Anime Expo & Otakon

★Shizuma (Strawberry Panic!) - 50% complete
★Saber EXTRA - 85% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #6934
Saki_Watari

I am 5ft 1, nearly boobless, and of one of those builds where no matter how thin I get I always have the little stomach pooch. Needless to say, deciding to cosplay Tifa Lockhart was really daunting.

I managed to play with the hem lines until I could look less fat, made myself look like I had boobs, and put a 1 inch lift in my shoes... I still got called out for being "too short", "Too wide", and my personal favorite, having "no taste in contact lenses". I'm sorry, there is nothing on the face of this planet that will turn my eyes red or brown. My eyes are Cloud blue, so Tifa contacts end up turning them dark purple.

I honestly tried, and while I wasn't brave enough to enter the contest, I thought my cosplay was pretty decent. Especially for a first try at a hand sewn cosplay from scratch...
Saki_Watari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #6935
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Edit: Sorry, posted something and then realized it would better go in a different thread :P
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #6936
kawaiiMORGUE

The few times that I've gone out as a character have gotten some comments. Those that are from people that don't really know what cosplay is doesn't really bother me. Mainly because they just have no idea and there's this person dressed up kinda funky. So the comments of it not being Halloween, what the hell are you doing, and things like that really don't bother me. It's when people comment that are in the community. I've been called short, poor and a hambeast. But I'm having fun so what the hey.
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #6937
Rei-Azalia

I had someone tell me fat people can't cosplay. :\
Rei-Azalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #6938
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Wow I don't think I've ever received a rude comment in person from a fellow cosplayer (thank god). Generally the cosplayers I encounter either just ignore me or they say nice things to me.
But I agree with you, the rude comments from the general public don't really bother me anymore because I know I'm going to get them (I always get the "WTF asian Jack Sparrow!!????!" comments), but if I got something like that from a cosplayer at a con, I'd probably be pretty shocked since it is generally something I've never had a problem with at conventions.
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #6939
LollipopGirl

Eh besides the usual "Isn't it a little early for Halloween?"

I went to AX last year cosplaying as Chibi Romano. I did his maid costume (which I know isn't very popular and really his character isn't popular either) and I was walking by a group of fellow Hetalia cosplayers. I overheard them laughing and saying how my costume was a "fail" because Chibi Italy wears green and not the red I was wearing for Romano......So I was mistaken for another character.......

It didn't bother me terribly I mean they're mean spirited and couldn't even tell the two Italy's apart. No big deal though Everyone else was very sweet about it and I met a nice Spain who loved it.
LollipopGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #6940
Wizardly

I've never received a negative comment from another cosplayer at a con or anything like it (I am surprised, being very overweight and typically cosplaying people who are known specifically for being lanky or just plain tiny, ex. Reno and Hiccup). The only thing that has ever been said to me I could consider "rude" was from a friend of mine who also cosplayed.

I had finished playing Crisis Core and was totally in love with Zack Fair after that. I told her and expressed that my only concern was my arms. I hate wearing sleeveless things not because they are chubby but because under my arms I have very dark marks, which I've had for as long as I can remember and am embarrassed by them. Instead, she started commenting on my weight and said, word for word, "Fangirls will attack you and shred you to pieces" and proceeded to say, "If I were you and your size, I wouldn't do it. It's going to end bad."

I had always prepared myself for some comment on my weight in cosplay but never expected it from one of my own friends. After that I kind of didn't say anything and quieted down on the subject. I admit I was a little offended and just downright disowned the idea of cosplaying Zack Fair and haven't thought of it since. Couldn't bring myself to without thinking about that conversation.

A few months later, the two of us were at school and with two others of our good mutual friends, one of which I considered my best friend at the time. She brought up a conversation that led to a "group" convo of supposedly all of us cosplaying from Sailor Moon and making a group together. They all started talking about which ones they wanted to do and several times, I tried to talk about how I would like to cosplay Mercury. Every time I said so much as a word she would interrupt me and when I mentioned it finally she kind of didn't respond and ignored me... the others, too, and I literally couldn't help but feel I was purposely being left out of the conversation because of my weight once one of the others stated they would have to lose their stomach to better cosplay Pluto and "do it right" (she couldn't have been more than 120lbs or something). By the time the convo was over and we all went to class still no one ever said a word to me during the convo about me being Mercury, who I've liked since I was little, or being included at all even though I was literally right there. Blah.

That last one I know isn't really a rude comment but couldn't help but get at least somewhat offended by the whole motion of it, more so that none of my supposed friends said anything. ._.

Luckily when I cosplay now I still try to remind myself I cosplay for fun but admittedly, those instances bother me still. Dx

Last edited by Wizardly : 06-22-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Wizardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #6941
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei-Azalia View Post
PFFFT. That isn't true, I've seen bigger cosplayers wearing more accurate costumes than skinny cosplayers.

2014 Cosplay(s): Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Mythicon | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #6942
Scarecrow1992
Enthusiast of the Obscure

Quote:
That is so not true. Coming from a bigger cosplayer myself, I would tell them that size doesn't matter and in fact some "Fatter" people put more blood, sweat, and tears into a costume than those who blow whistles if you don't fit your character to a T.

Now I got a small little story here. Nothing too offensive, but I got nothing else. So I was at the meetup yesterday and for the most part, I had a great time. Met some new friends on Steam, reunited with some old ones, all in all a swell time, but when I was leaving I went into a CVS across the street and got a few awkward glances. I understand, since it's not every day you see an Australian mercenary walk into a pharmacy, but it still felt a tiny bit creepy. No matter, I should get used to it.
Tommy Vercetti (GTA Vice City)
Ash Williams (Evil Dead)
Wolverine (Marvel Comics)
Rex Power Colt (Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon)
Mankind (WWE)
Post-Apocalypse Thor (Marvel)
Ellis (Left 4 Dead 2)
Scarecrow1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #6943
Fénicia
Professional Seamstress

Quote:
I hear that all the time. But I cosplay because I like it and what I like, to for those others that just like you to do what they want.
Most of the time they do like my outfits, but not that I'm wearing them.
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #6944
VampirePickle
Because I naughty naughty

My rude comments mainly focus around my Panty (Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt) cosplay. Nothing negative about how it's made or what I look like, I tend to get nice responses actually haha. It's the people who think that because I cosplay a rude character, means they can treat like her. When I were her, I will often be a bitch or people ask who I've been sleeping with. :/ Someone touched my butt once >.< Like really. That's not okay. Maybe I'm being too sensative about this? Probably xD I can play along with most characters, like Finn for example. I just don't like being called a bitch all day xD
Celes (Dangan Ronpa) /In progress/
Yuno (Mirai Nikki) /In progress/
Anime North:
Undecided
Conbravo:
Undecided
Unplugged Expo:
Undecided
VampirePickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #6945
Scarecrow1992
Enthusiast of the Obscure

^Though I'm not too familiar with Panty and Stocking, I guess it's something that is more of the fans' fault than your own. I suppose they want you to get in character, but the inappropriate butt touching is not okay, no matter who you are. Some folks take it too far I suppose.
Tommy Vercetti (GTA Vice City)
Ash Williams (Evil Dead)
Wolverine (Marvel Comics)
Rex Power Colt (Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon)
Mankind (WWE)
Post-Apocalypse Thor (Marvel)
Ellis (Left 4 Dead 2)
Scarecrow1992 is offline   Reply With Quote