Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 160 votes, 4.89 average.
Unread 08-15-2013, 01:01 AM   #7081
xDontGiveIn

I was at a convention with some friends who were cosplaying as Homestuck (I wasn't cosplaying) and we were walking down the sidewalk to the convention and these guys slowed down, called us a bunch of freaks and threw a drink at us.
This isn't rude but these group of girls asked us if we were in a movie.
xDontGiveIn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #7082
aspiekid0101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
From what it sounded like, she doesn't know these people's names so it would be nearly impossible to press charges at this point. But I will point out that the destruction of her costume is legally assault.
I agree. I've heard all sorts of stories about trouble-making non-attendees at cons, but I never thought they could sink this low.

Karma's a foul mistress. I honestly hope those sickos got fired from their jobs.

Last edited by aspiekid0101 : 08-16-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #7083
MirniMausi
Just live more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonic Kaiser View Post
I remember you! Thought you did a good job, don't beat yourself up. Yes, the wig could have been cut better, but the length was fine IMO.
Agreed on that.
And I think the cosplay is overall pretty recognizable without the millenium eye...

~Up Next~
Maybe: Yoko Minato (Kamen Rider Gaim)
Maybe: Sailor Moon ~Classic Musical Fuku~ (Sera Myu)
Maybe: Joyful Knight Candelira ~Human form~ (Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger)
Maybe: Eri ~Cheerleader Version~ (Tensou Sentai Goseiger)
MirniMausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #7084
Quinn The Spazz
Positively ineffable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonic Kaiser View Post
I remember you! Thought you did a good job, don't beat yourself up. Yes, the wig could have been cut better, but the length was fine IMO.
Dull scissors and poor planning XP I'm glad some people were able to recognize me though ^^ Thanks.
Samon Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Toshio Ozaki-Shiki, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Professor Ozpin-RWBY, Yoite-Nabari no Ou, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Kaito Jeanne-Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Friagne-Shakugan no Shana, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #7085
princemercury1
The Nobleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitterNoir View Post
I've only been to one con so far but boy did I get some rude comments. The first one was when I was stuck on the sixth floor of the hotel waiting for an elevator down so I could get to a panel on time. There were about eight businessmen and women who clearly weren't there for the con and when the door opened and when they saw me (I was dressed in my Shinx outfit) they started yelling at me calling me a freak and saying that they don't want to even breathe the same air as me and saying I should kill myself. My outfit did show my self harm scars on my legs and arms and as soon as they saw them they started doing the 'slashing the wrist' hand movements and 'slashing the throat' hand movements. They also kept saying that I should just finish the job because there's no room for people like me in the world. Finally a really nice woman managed to fit us both on the elevator after a few people got out and she helped me hold my tail up so I wouldn't hit anyone with it. But it just got worse from there. They started grabbing my tail and trying to rip it apart and they ripped my ears out of my wig, tried to knock my wig off, and one of the men even started grabbing my boobs and trying to get his hand down my shirt. Once I got off an older man and a really young girl saw me crying and they helped me repair my tail and got my ears back on. They asked me what panel I was going to and when I told them which one, they said they were going there too and stood with me in line and even sat with me in the panel. They even watched over me until my mom met me outside panel room once it was done.

So yeah that kinda put me off and made me afraid to even get on an elevator again or leave my room. Although I did expect that at least someone would say something rude about my self harm scars but I couldn't hide them since my costume showed them all. But a lot of kind people made me feel a lot better and they were reported to con staff thankfully but that does make me a little afraid to go to another con now.
OMG! I wish I was there with you at that moment! I would of totally rip a good one out of them. I mean I won't fight them physically, but I would fight them mentally with my words!! Good god! If only...

and

ACE Paradise Gallery
princemercury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #7086
Quinn The Spazz
Positively ineffable

So today a kid in my film class pretty much called me a racist since I said I dressed up as Cinna to go see Catching Fire.

I was wearing a black t-shirt, blazer, black jeans, a brown wig, gold eye makeup and that was it. I always said I was doing the book version of Cinna, since his race was never specifically mentioned in the book, at least not that I can recall. One kid said she always imagined Cinna as black in the books because his eye makeup would stand out more then, and after she said that was when the other kid gave me the dirty look.

Here, see for yourself. (obviously I am the one in those pictures that isn't Katniss.) I honestly don't think I did anything wrong so that was kind of upsetting.
Samon Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Toshio Ozaki-Shiki, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Professor Ozpin-RWBY, Yoite-Nabari no Ou, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Kaito Jeanne-Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Friagne-Shakugan no Shana, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Unread 11-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #7087
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

So, since I've got a lot of weight, I've been taking more chances with my cosplays, one of them being my Witch Rapunzel which shows a far amount of leg and boobage. I gave it a test run at Long Beach Comic Con where there were a few other events going on including a gymnastics meet. I was mobbed by children and parents of children alike, as well as being constantly stopped for photos.

This one little girl was walking with her mother out of the gymnastics meet, saw me and wanted a photo. The mother looked me up and down like I was the scum of the earth. "No," she said, brushing past me. "That's a horrible Rapunzel."

It was one of those 'I'm so shocked that I just have to laugh kind of deal.' It became an inside joke for my friends and I whenever someone complimented my costume. But deep down it sort of struck a chord in me because back when I was overweight I was really bitter about having to see thinner cosplayers in revealing cosplays.

But who knows? Maybe that wasn't the reason she called me horrible. She might have been a super secret seamstress in disguise and noticed the unfinished hem near my left shoulder.

Future Conventions
Wondercon 2014
Fanime 2014
Anime Expo 2014
San Diego Comic Con 2014

Future Cosplays
Genderbent Sora (25% complete)
Witch Rapunzel Variant (COMPLETE)
Ibuki Mioda (COMPLETE)
Tali'Zora (COMPLETE)

Last edited by Bm-Atticus : 11-27-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Bm-Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #7088
Syon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn The Spazz View Post
So today a kid in my film class pretty much called me a racist since I said I dressed up as Cinna to go see Catching Fire.

I was wearing a black t-shirt, blazer, black jeans, a brown wig, gold eye makeup and that was it. I always said I was doing the book version of Cinna, since his race was never specifically mentioned in the book, at least not that I can recall. One kid said she always imagined Cinna as black in the books because his eye makeup would stand out more then, and after she said that was when the other kid gave me the dirty look.

Here, see for yourself. (obviously I am the one in those pictures that isn't Katniss.) I honestly don't think I did anything wrong so that was kind of upsetting.
I would put that comment in the category of "dumb kid knows a word, but not the meaning".
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #7089
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bm-Atticus View Post
So, since I've got a lot of weight, I've been taking more chances with my cosplays, one of them being my Witch Rapunzel which shows a far amount of leg and boobage. I gave it a test run at Long Beach Comic Con where there were a few other events going on including a gymnastics meet. I was mobbed by children and parents of children alike, as well as being constantly stopped for photos.

This one little girl was walking with her mother out of the gymnastics meet, saw me and wanted a photo. She looked me up and down like I was the scum of the earth. "No," she said, brushing past me. "That's a horrible Rapunzel."

It was one of those 'I'm so shocked that I just have to laugh kind of deal.' It became an inside joke for my friends and I whenever someone complimented my costume. But deep down it sort of struck a chord in me because back when I was overweight I was really bitter about having to see thinner cosplayers in revealing cosplays.

But who knows? Maybe that wasn't the reason she called me horrible. She might have been a super secret seamstress in disguise and noticed the unfinished hem near my left shoulder.
Since it's not THE costume Rapunzel wears in canon, I'm gonna have to say the kid mighta been a little let down you didn't have the exact outfit therefore not looking just like here (in her mind at least) and not to take it terribly personal, she's a kid so... they say the darndest things xD I would hardly call this purposefully rude, kids don't always know what they're saying, she probably didn't mean it as horrible as it sounded.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #7090
triguncat25
Bubble Pop Electric

when i was at work scheduling my vacation time with my boss for a convention and one of my co-workers asked what i was asking off for my boss said she is one of those weirdo sci-fi freaks. they laughed and she then backtracked and said she was just joking but places like that are full of weirdos and freaks she would never like to be around......
triguncat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #7091
MaiCosplay

Remember sticksandstones!
MaiCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #7092
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn The Spazz View Post

Seriously, it wasn't like you tried darkening your skin which would be racist. The way Collins describes her characters leaves them racially ambiguous, probably because race isn't viewed the same way in this future.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #7093
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Seriously, it wasn't like you tried darkening your skin which would be racist. The way Collins describes her characters leaves them racially ambiguous, probably because race isn't viewed the same way in this future.
Even darkening your skin isn't racist if you do it tastefully and don't make yourself a stereotype.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #7094
Quinn The Spazz
Positively ineffable

Quote:
Exactly! I don't see why this girl got so offended but it was hurtful.
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #7095
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
Since it's not THE costume Rapunzel wears in canon, I'm gonna have to say the kid mighta been a little let down you didn't have the exact outfit therefore not looking just like here (in her mind at least) and not to take it terribly personal, she's a kid so... they say the darndest things xD I would hardly call this purposefully rude, kids don't always know what they're saying, she probably didn't mean it as horrible as it sounded.
Oh, I should have clarified. (I'll edit my previous post so it does.) It was the mother that called me horrible, not the little girl. If the little girl had called me horrible, it wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest. Like you said, kids can and WILL speak their minds lol.

Future Conventions
Wondercon 2014
Fanime 2014
Anime Expo 2014
San Diego Comic Con 2014

Future Cosplays
Genderbent Sora (25% complete)
Witch Rapunzel Variant (COMPLETE)
Ibuki Mioda (COMPLETE)
Tali'Zora (COMPLETE)
Bm-Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote