Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 173 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 12-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #7111
BiohazardBeauty
OscuroLupo

I've been called a lot of things. I've had friends turn against me and call me a 'fame slut' and all this other jazz because I cosplay more than one character, and have been made fun of on forum threads, etc. People have even called me racist for cosplaying a character out of my race. I can relate to everything here, unfortunately it's making it difficult for me to enjoy the hobby when I get a lot of hate comments/friends turning against me because I got 'popular' According to them which automatically makes me elitist and egotistical :/

Last edited by BiohazardBeauty : 12-28-2013 at 06:41 PM.
BiohazardBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-31-2013, 03:12 AM   #7112
MaiCosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaRu View Post
Meh, I guess I'll post one. First time getting insulted...to my face anyways, lol.

Last November, didn't find out about the con till two weeks before -- went out and pulled out all the stops to make Sheena from Tales of Symphonia, easy, quick. Mostly trial and error, but most of it was new for me and I was super proud of my giant bow in the back and all the hard work I had done. Now, I'm little conscious of my weight and looks, so I tried my best to make everything look like it fit me well (the obi belt kept sliding down and I didn't wear a super supportive bra that day...KAY MY BAD:P I know better nao^_^)

Well, just randomly (this was by super chance too, it wasn't intentional at all!) for about 15 minutes everyone I was hanging out with decided to ditch me, so I went to the vendor room, sulking a little bit. I was looking at some dvds and a Two-Face and Joker cosplayer come up behind me and politely ask if they could get through. Normally I try to be super polite and nice, but since I was all sulky I just went "Mmhmm" and moved over.

Well apparently my tone didn't sound good to them, so later in the artist alley they track me down, push past me yelling "FAT! BITCH!" and briskly walk down the hallway in the other direction. I just stood there for a moment trying to register what happened. It wouldn't have made me so mad, but there was a bunch of random people in front of us and they turned around and started pointing and laughing at me, one going "Oh man, he wasn't wrong!"

Kay, now normally, I try to be a pretty well mannered person. I'm very passive agressive usually, but with these two I lost it. I screamed down the hall at them, telling them to slow up, I had a few words I wanted to talk with them about, etc, but they just kept walking. I stopped in front of the staff room and burst into tears. The staff came out and told me to stop yelling -- I told them what happened, and they immediately sent out two staffers to track the two down. I told them to make sure that they knew I was sorry and I didn't mean to offend anyone in the vendor room, it was all random -- I felt like crap afterwards and was so angry, I cried I think for like ten minutes:P Passive agressive me? Lol.

But anyways, whatever, it was totally all worth it in the end anyways - me and my friend (I made her outfit too, Kasumi from DOA - god it fit her perfect^_^) won best group in the contest later that night^_^

I think I'll be seeing those two sometime this next November. I definitely want to apologize in person this time and make sure there aren't any hard feelings D:
Aww Taru I would have gave you a big hug right then and there. And Hi Jump Kick/stomp those guys out for you. I'm glad you won best group =)

Quote:
I got a comment at AX'09 and it was also at my face.

"Wow, the Sora outfit is amazing! The clothes, Keyblade, and even the wig! But, too bad it kinda gets ruined by the person who's wearing it. I'm sorry, but its like covering sh*t up with flowers."

Ever since then, I'm not so confident on my Sora despite how its my fave cosplay =/..
Wow, smh.

Last edited by MaiCosplay : 01-01-2014 at 09:08 PM.
MaiCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 04:15 AM   #7113
Game-of-Life
Beginner Cosplayer

My comment is more funny than rude.

One time, a group of friends and I went to a mall near a convention, and we were buying drinks from the mall, when the group of us (I was at the back) Passed a little girl and her mom. After we passed, all I heard from behind me was: "Mommy I'm scared." And as soon as we left the store I started laughing really hard.

Alice (Pandora Hearts)- 100%
Matryoshka Gumi- 100%
Panda Hero Gumi- 85% (Goggles and Hat Needed)
Monomi (Dangan Ronpa)- PLanned
Happy Synthesizer Gumi- 14% (Planned)
Kirishima Shoko (Baka to Test)- Planned
Game-of-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #7114
princemercury1
The Nobleman

bumping it up. =D

and

ACE Paradise Gallery
princemercury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2014, 10:31 PM   #7115
TitanSlayer000
Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiohazardBeauty View Post
I've been called a lot of things. I've had friends turn against me and call me a 'fame slut' and all this other jazz because I cosplay more than one character, and have been made fun of on forum threads, etc. People have even called me racist for cosplaying a character out of my race.
Isn't one of the biggest parts of cosplay for some people making the cosplay? I mean, only having one would totally defeat the purpose.

I've been called racist before too. I think it'd be hard to find a cosplayer that hasn't been called racist just for being a cosplayer. It's kind of sad.
Unread 05-29-2014, 11:21 PM   #7116
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I haven't, but I've never tried tanning/bronzing my skintone (I'm naturally white as a ghost) or wearing clearly ethnic dress at cons. Which are usually what lands you the "racist" insult.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2014, 12:23 AM   #7117
TitanSlayer000
Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I haven't, but I've never tried tanning/bronzing my skintone (I'm naturally white as a ghost) or wearing clearly ethnic dress at cons. Which are usually what lands you the "racist" insult.
You don't even have to try and change your skin. If you cosplay a character of a different race, such as a white person cosplaying as Garnet (Steven Universe), you'll probably get called racist if you post it publicly on the internet. I don't think it really happens in real life though.
Unread 05-31-2014, 12:02 AM   #7118
Eldi
Lollipop Boogerpants

Someone I met at a con said he was surprised that I didn't play ranked since I was cosplaying a character from league of legends... I don't think he was necessarily trying to be rude, but it was off-putting to me because there are many different game modes in league and just because I don't play the most competitive one doesn't mean I'm less of a fan of the game, and that's what it sort of seemed like what he was getting at. I guess being online too much has made me paranoid about getting labeled a "fake geek girl" or something.
Eldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 02:04 AM   #7119
Moonsong
daughter of evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanSlayer000 View Post
Isn't one of the biggest parts of cosplay for some people making the cosplay? I mean, only having one would totally defeat the purpose.

I've been called racist before too. I think it'd be hard to find a cosplayer that hasn't been called racist just for being a cosplayer. It's kind of sad.

I don't get this mentality. I think the plague of Tumblr SJWs has begun to bleed off of Tumblr because, by that logic, anyone who goes to a tanning salon, for whatever reason, is a racist.

On hiatus until 2015.

★Saber EXTRA - 100% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 09:37 AM   #7120
Scarecrow1992
Enthusiast of the Obscure

The racism thing I've seen on Tumblr all the time. It's kind of stupid that people are called racist simply for cosplaying out of their race. It's like Proud recruited an army of race shamers and infiltrated Tumblr.
Ash Williams (Evil Dead)
Wolverine (Marvel Comics)
Mankind (WWE)
Ellis (Left 4 Dead 2)
Mr. Van Driessen (Beavis and Butthead)
The Riddler
The Undertaker (WWE)
Mike Schmidt (Five Nights at Freddy's)

Working on:
Captain 'Murica (20%)
Leatherface (0%)

Planned:
Foxy (FNAF)
Beach Bear (Rockafire Explosion)
Macho Man Randy Savage

Scarecrow1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 01:59 PM   #7121
Syon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow1992 View Post
The racism thing I've seen on Tumblr all the time. It's kind of stupid that people are called racist simply for cosplaying out of their race. It's like Proud recruited an army of race shamers and infiltrated Tumblr.
I heard a lot of bad things about tumblr lately, especially on deviantart, where some complained in the off topic section how much it has changed and became a gathering point for all kinds of people who celebrate entitletment to radical opinions and seek fights over those opinions.

Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #7122
TitanSlayer000
Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow1992 View Post
Maybe all of them are Proud. We know he's willing to make numerous accounts.
Unread 06-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #7123
Nofacenicole

I had one comment at a con that was a bit rude. .. i was wearing a high school of the dead cosplay, Seako in an apron and swim bottoms. I had just happened to find a perfect replica apron at a goodwill (and I mean PERFECT) so I just went with it although I wore full black shorts and a flesh tone tube top like thing under the apron just to be a bit more modest about it and two boys walked past me and very loudly and presumably deliberately said "its just disgusting. Its like she's not wearing anything. You can see everything" and some comment about attention seeking or something like that... I thought it was incredibly unnecessary and rude

some others I've experienced that weren't directly rude, but I still found to be unpleasant were tons of guys where I live shouting derogatory comments at me from across the road or asking me to come to their motel room 15 times over despite the fact I had very clearly says no. One I've found to be kinda funny though is I had a friend who didn't really understand anime or cosplay, but a good deal of people she was friends with were into it, so she wanted to go to a convention si she said "ill just throw on a wig I have from Halloween and then that'll be freaky enough to be a costume for their" good intentions, but a little insulting that she thought of it as people just trying to look freaky
Nofacenicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #7124
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syon View Post
I heard a lot of bad things about tumblr lately, especially on deviantart, where some complained in the off topic section how much it has changed and became a gathering point for all kinds of people who celebrate entitletment to radical opinions and seek fights over those opinions.
Really? All I ever see are fandoms, funny (ymmv) stories, and cosplay. I guess I'm following the wrong blogs-- Or the right ones?

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #7125
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
Really? All I ever see are fandoms, funny (ymmv) stories, and cosplay. I guess I'm following the wrong blogs-- Or the right ones?
I'd say the right ones.
I dont go onto tumblr much, but i haven't seen much that's mean on there. but I mainly keep to the doctor who tumblrs lol i think the whovians are well behaved

Visit my groups page! <3
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote