Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 161 votes, 4.89 average.
Unread 05-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #76
danayoki

Quote:
Not trying to provoke an argument here but I do have to make a point, if you cosplay outside of a con setting like down the park, in the mall, in school, etc, YOU ARE going to get stares and rude comments. I'm not trying to justify people being rude to the face of cosplayers and it's not right but that's the world works unfortunately. You can't really expect not to be insulted when you open yourself to such abuse in the first place. I have a thick skin so I cosplay everywhere and just about anywhere. But I go out with my head screwed on and understanding the risk that I'm opening myself to insults and rude comments.
This thread's a place for people to share some...doesn't mean they're saying they don't EXPECT ANY >_>
danayoki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #77
Kailyn
The Alpha Bitch

Not saying that they don't. Yes, people are rude to you, in or out of con settings. I've had tirades of abuse directed at me not only because I cosplay but because I'm not white, blah blah. All the advice I can give to people is, don't take it to heart, if people want to insult you, it's THEIR problem. If you live your life and be the best person you can be, you don't need to worry to what somebody else thinks of you.
Unread 05-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #78
danayoki

Quote:
Not saying that they don't. Yes, people are rude to you, in or out of con settings. I've had tirades of abuse directed at me not only because I cosplay but because I'm not white, blah blah. All the advice I can give to people is, don't take it to heart, if people want to insult you, it's THEIR problem. If you live your life and be the best person you can be, you don't need to worry to what somebody else thinks of you.
agreed agreed ^^
Unread 05-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #79
Koisnake
I want some fancy sauce

Lol, comments are comments. Expect them and deal with it. First of all, you look like a dork for dressing up as an imaginary character in the first place, so don't start crying when someone says you look ridiculous. There are haters at conventions, so there isn't really anything you can do about it. If they threaten you, get a staff member, and they will deal with it.
Koisnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #80
bxmetalhead
STRAIGHT EDGE!!!!!!

i got called a freak while walking to nyaf by three 25 yr old guys
bxmetalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #81
Kailyn
The Alpha Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koisnake View Post
Lol, comments are comments. Expect them and deal with it. First of all, you look like a dork for dressing up as an imaginary character in the first place, so don't start crying when someone says you look ridiculous. There are haters at conventions, so there isn't really anything you can do about it. If they threaten you, get a staff member, and they will deal with it.
Exactly the point I was trying to make.
Unread 05-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #82
PixieRisa
LGLP

I just got a comment today by some jerk at my school. xD The whole conversation went on like this (he pranked called me so yeah)

*phone rings*
Me: Ello~?
dude: BLAAAAAAH TRAMPY ANIME COSTUME GEEK, YOU SUCK AND DON'T HAVE A LIIIFFFEEE! *laughing in the background*
Me: ...WHO THE HECK IS THIS?!
dude: A NORMAL GUY WHO THINKS JAP CARTOONS SUCK
Me: hold on one second *goes on youtube, holds phone on the speakers, and plays the Lucky Star theme really loud*
Me: DON'T MESS WITH TEH COSPLAYERS! *hangs up*

...When I think about it, that was really retarded yet hilarious. xD
PixieRisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #83
Vash_Fanatic
Sewious Bwuisness!

I'd say that's hilarious Pixie Risa..xD

He's an idiot for saying that though. We outnumber him..muwahaha!

Costume Log
Secret Tunnel<--Avatar: The Last Airbender Nomads
Commissions! PM me!
Tutorials and Moar Here! :3 Facebook? Add me
Vash_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #84
Amaraeon
Potweet?

I know I've definitely gotten strange looks, but most of the time people just compliment it or ask questions and I answer as well as I can. I don't mind being staring too much anymore seeing as my 'normal' wardrobe is mostly visual kei inspired or based on Japanese street fashion - so no matter what I wear I don't blend in to a crowd. If you stare, that's fine. If you're honestly curious that's fine to. But if you're going to start something be aware that I'm going to finish it - probably in a way that you won't like.

What people don't realize that in a very real sense all clothing is costume. That's not speculation, it's reality. (historical costume anyone?) Anything that people use to cover themselves with that is not made for the sole purpose of protection from the elements is a costume - whether it's jeans and a t-shirt or something made from a show - all clothes are made to convey a message or give a sense of belonging to it's wearer.
I wear what I want to because I can. There is no law that says I can't and as long as I'm within the confines of the law (no public nudity, nothing that could pose a hazard to yourself or others nearby) people have no right to mock me, complain or make snide comments in my opinion and if they do I'll consider it unwarranted harassment. Yes, there are insensitive and downright stupid people out there who want to make themselves feel big by picking on others and I have no problem in revealing just how foolish they are in front of everyone. What I wear is no ones concern but mine. If you don't like it, keep it to yourself - it's (not so) common courtesy. In return I won't point out what a shallow-minded jerk you really are in front of your friends.
Fair enough deal?

^.^; Maybe that's why people don't pick on me for wearing weird stuff...they figure it's just safer to snicker out of hearing range.
Amaraeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #85
LemonFairy
Cosplayer in Training!

I've gotten some mean comments at school, but that was to be expected. I brushed them off, because... well... I hate the kids who said it. Plus, I got some nice compliments from people who have opinions I actually care about. (Though it wasn't /actual/ cosplay. I was a general pirate on TLAPD and a general Ninja for half of the day on Day of the Ninja and a pirate the second half.)

I'm surprised I haven't gotten any rude comments at con, just because my costumes so far have been sucky. Guess it's cause I stay under the radar.

Anyway, my younger brother makes some rude comments. He's always nagging on people about their weight, or how they don't look like so and so. It kills me, because he doesn't /know/ that he's being rude. He has Asperger's Syndrome, so he had no real empathy or whatnot. And even though /I/ know that's why he's making the comments, you can't just stop and explain "Oh, sorry about him. He doesn't understand that what he's saying is hurting your feelings because he has AS." >_>

Attending:
OhayoCon 2013|Leaky '13 (Portland)|ACen (?tentative?)|Anime Midwest (?)
Past Cons:
ACen [2007-12]|Blizzcon '10|C2E2 '11|Leaky '11, '12|MidWinter '11|Anime Midwest '12|
LemonFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 08:47 PM   #86
danayoki

Quote:
I just got a comment today by some jerk at my school. xD The whole conversation went on like this (he pranked called me so yeah)

*phone rings*
dude: BLAAAAAAH TRAMPY ANIME COSTUME GEEK, YOU SUCK AND DON'T HAVE A LIIIFFFEEE! *laughing in the background*
Me: hold on one second *goes on youtube, holds phone on the speakers, and plays the Lucky Star theme really loud*

LMAO xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
agreed ^^ mess with da cosplayers we'll mess with chu!!
......they think cosplayers have no life? THEY'RE the ones that have no life >D (no srsly....they think picking on cosplayers is a way of life? pshh)

Quote:
He's an idiot for saying that though. We outnumber him..muwahaha!
Agreed all da way ^^

Quote:
-_-...
can we stop talking bout dat? It's getting really annoying cause this thread was made for us to share those comments...and we all understand now -_-
not trying to start a fight or something...but hey...u know what i mean right? ^^
Unread 05-18-2008, 08:49 PM   #87
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieRisa View Post

*phone rings*

wow you are teh shiztastical! i love you for this!

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #88
Seiyora
Indecisive Pumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioheart View Post
"Isn't it too early for Halloween?"
Yup, who hasn't gotten that one? ^^'

My brother and I were walking into a convention dressed as the Elrics and a couple of random guys in a car drove by and shouted something obscene at us (I think it was mostly targeted at me)... Needless to say, that was totally uncalled for! My dad, who was walking in with us, got a little upset. >>

Last edited by Seiyora : 05-18-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Seiyora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #89
PixieRisa
LGLP

And the funny thing is that I try to be modest as possible when it comes to cosplay. I hate showing my stomach. xD
But yeah, he thinks life is eating, sleeping, and pick on open-minded people and say that he's cool because he can do Soulja boy. xD (He seriously tries to act gangsta even though he's white)
PixieRisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 09:07 PM   #90
danayoki

Quote:
And the funny thing is that I try to be modest as possible when it comes to cosplay. I hate showing my stomach. xD
But yeah, he thinks life is eating, sleeping, and pick on open-minded people and say that he's cool because he can do Soulja boy. xD (He seriously tries to act gangsta even though he's white)
xDDDD
OMG...
I HATE soulja boy...he doesn't deserve any credit...AT ALL (ok that was random) Don't you hate when you see people in the middle of the streets just dancing and singing to the song? specially the lil kids? >< (wow that was REALLY random....)