Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Unread 06-23-2003, 10:51 PM   #1
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Thumbs up Keep the J-rock Events alive...expectations/feedback...

On the subject of "retiring after AX" (on this thread: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread...threadid=14335 )
Lupineloli noted that she was retiring from being the J-Rock Events co-ordinator, and AngelJibrille suggested that there may be a conspiracy rising to erase official j-rock appreciation from the face of anime cons. To avoid this fate, search for alternatives and improve the AX j-rock fun, we pick up the topic again here:

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelJibrille
Yes, please, just pass on the word We are also going to have a flyer put into all of the registration bags (it will be advertsing the Mini-Masquerade on the other side), but if you want you can come pick up some of the extra flyers at the Masquerade Registration Desk to pass out to other people as you see them Lupineloli has done her best to promote it this year she has really tried to expand our offerings by including the related EGL/EGA tournament in addition to all the other great activities.

I don't think you need to stop wearing anime costumes too though We do want to encourage both.

I reallly want to keep the J-Rock event going strong, especially as I feel it is a growing segment of fandom, so please get the word out there. We have an 800-seat room this year.... I'm hoping it's filled standing-room-only, like our 200-seat-room last year.

Happy cosplaying,
M

P.S. I'd love your opinion on what went wrong with Gakufest, and does anyone know how J-Rock attendance has been at other conventions that have offered J-Rock Programming (Otakon, A-kon, etc.) Things like a poorly-attended Gakufest tend to make people nervous and I'm having to explain things without a whole lot of information as I'm really not sure why it was such a fluke at Fanime. I didn't know it was a paid event, is that a main issue? Do you think it was due to location? Is Southern California, home of AX, just a more "J-Rock Friendly" area? Could people not afford to go to both California cons (AX & Fanime) this year?
What I find about most j-rock panels (not to the error of those hosting it necessarily) is that it seems only the very obsessive few fans dominate. This even happened at last year's AX events with the game show. So I feel the biggest barrier to large crowds is that it's intimidating for more casual fans or newbies.

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelJibrille
...I'm wondering, if the bands had been "really big names", say like hide, Malice Mizer, Dir en Grey, something like that... would you pay to see them?

I think one of the reasons that some of these "big names" haven't been brought over to the US is because in order to have them here we would need to charge for the concert tickets (bands of this caliber wouldn't do an event for free).

I know I've bandied about ideas for bringing bands here with AX and other conventions I staff, and the subject of payment for a concert is always the key factor. A lot of people were looking at GakuFest as an experiment, if it failed would it be worth it to pursue bringing even more expensive groups over?

So, I'm curious, would you pay to see one of the more expensive groups?

Thanks
Marisa
I can't imagine Dir en Grey ever playing at a con...it's just like the wrong atmosphere for them...but yeah if they came to the U.S. at all, con or otherwise, I'd go out to see them specifically and pay whatever needed. And if you could magically revive Kami or hide, yeah, I'd pay for that too ^_- You could have a couple souls or something in exchange.
I think what you guys need to explore are known bands that, while j-rock too, would make sense at an anime con. For instance, I think Lapis Lazuli or ASH would be instant hits due to their Guilty Gear affliations. If it was possible (and it is a little more possible than DeG ^_^*) And though it is a personal obsession that urges me to say this: I'd say seek out any chance of Psycho le Cemu, for I think their musical variety and hands-down best costuming of any recent bands would appeal to people who might not otherwise think they like j-rock.
Anyway, you should look into musical guests that would be more welcoming to the most people...because most people who do come to AX or any other con unfortunately are not there primarily (if at all) for the music. I'm actually considering not buying con badges for most cons in the future, just because I personally do not care whether the random assortment of guests are there or not. But if it was a band I followed, I would gladly pay for con registration plus any additional concert tickets as needed.

Unread 06-24-2003, 01:34 AM   #2
Yggdrasil Pie
WRYYYYYYY

They're planning to take away the J-Rock events? But they can't! It was actually AX that got me into J-rock and I wouldn't want to see the events end already before I can actually get involved in them...T_T

I myself would also pay for concert tickets if a band I know is playing. I totally support the J-Rock events and I'm really hoping they continue. ^_^
Unread 06-24-2003, 01:59 AM   #3
AngelJibrille
PMX Cosplay Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterEmperess
They're planning to take away the J-Rock events? But they can't! It was actually AX that got me into J-rock and I wouldn't want to see the events end already before I can actually get involved in them...T_T
Eek. No, I didn't mean that, it's not being cancelled It's more that we need to prove that we get enough people to support the event (to justify the cost of holding it).

Let's put it this way: next year (2004) we will be going into this event without an experienced (and trusted) J-Rock Events coordinator. Unless we get an outstanding turnout for 2003, is it worth the resources to train a new (and unproven) individual to take over the events in a way that we won't be able to predict?

In my opinion, the answer is yes, but there is not that feeling of security in sectors of anime con-land (outside of AX too) especially as a few J-Rock events at other conventions have been poorly attended this year.

My point is really that Anime Expo influences a lot of people as far as to what trends are popular, and if this event isn't successful (and hence may be put on the fence to wobble a bit) it might be bad for all of J-Rock at anime conventions. Those of us trying to do more (and to get bands to come, etc.) might not be given the resources we need.

So, I'm just trying my best to emphasize how important it is to come. If you have a choice between a panel & the J-Rock events, please go to the J-Rock events And please come out to help us in 2004.

Thank you
Marisa
AngelJibrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2003, 02:14 AM   #4
Yggdrasil Pie
WRYYYYYYY

Ohh, I understand now, Thank you. ^^

I'm glad they're not being canceled, but is J-Rock a new thing or has it been around for a while? I just recently got introduced to it and I guess it takes some time until other people realize it exists. lol, maybe I'm wrong. I hope the J-Rock events turn out okay though. Since it seems like AX is growing, The J-rock events would also grow right? ^_^

Nya, I feel like a dork...lol
Yggdrasil Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2003, 02:43 AM   #5
ayonoi

I was actually one of the few people that were looking forward to GakuFest and to be honest, I was surprised at the low attendance. I think paying extra was a problem for many people, I was not attending Fanime soo I was only paying for one day. But I went ahead and bought one day attendance at the con and tried to hit the J-rock events. Unfortunately, I was not able to stay 'cause I had to go back to Gakufest.^___^ and I wanted to spend time with my friend.

Something that I don't understand is why Blood did not play last? Everyone left after they played (well, most of us went for them) but Secret Secret was not bad and they played last to no audience whatsoever! That is not fair! Secret Secret has a following in Japan and they are a really cool band, I saw them perform at the dance at Yaoi-Con. I think the music festival suffered from some organizational problems but I can't say that, maybe Blood could not perform so late, maybe the bands had priority since they played at Fanime before, etc. I don't know how the line-up decisions were made but all I can say, they were not smart.

Blood kicked butt, I think more fans should have been there supporting J-rock. I hope other organizers learn a bit from Gakufest, I do want to say though that it took guts to get it going and I appreciated the event. I do hope someone else takes it and improves on it, instead of just scrapping the idea altogether. Some of us will support them I know I am being cheesy but I love music!

And you bet I will be at the AX J-rock events, it's the best!

Alma
ayonoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2003, 03:01 AM   #6
Psychotic Jei
Quality Scr-what.

I think alot of the time...it is a matter of promoting them. Last year...the only reason I knew about the events was because it was briefly shown on the AX site. And then my friends were in them. I think that having a flyer in the program is good. Possibly have someone handing out more flyers at a main convention hub.

Personally, I loved teh J-Rock Masq. And I'm not the biggest fan of Visual Kei and such. I liked the relax atmosphere, it was a nice contrast to the insaity of AX in general. Rambling La.

Cost would be a seriously issue with me. I mean....paying the 50 for AX...and then adding some....well...I'm not the most wealthy person. It all depends on how much it is. ^_^
Psychotic Jei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2003, 05:16 PM   #7
lupineloli
cyberlola

I had a very lengthily reply to this - as I am the creator of the Jrock Events even before it was an "offical" AX program. However, that lengthily reply is not appropriate at this time as the J-rock Events have yet to happen for this year.

Let me just be the official person to say that I will not be returning next year - and all details over the future of the J-rock Events have really yet to be set and are in the works.

As the originator of these events, please trust me, everyone. You will receive your information ASAP.

Please support Anime EXpo J-rock Events 2003 as well as the Duel Jewel Concert

Last edited by lupineloli : 06-26-2003 at 05:31 PM.
lupineloli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2003, 05:52 PM   #8
soshi
onna kaizoku

I have no idea what Gakufest IS...

Making people pay extra for something at a convention is a bad, bad, BAD idea. Most people are already paying for a full day pass, and the last thing they're going to want to do is have to pay to get into something else. If it's part of the con, it should be included in the admission cost.

I don't think it's fair to use the jrock stuff at Fanime as an example for continuing the jrock events at Anime Expo - not only was Fanime too close to AX for many people, it barely advertised the event at all (I've never even heard of it, and I was keeping up with Fanime's stuff!), and it made people pay to get into it. Those are three things you just don't do. Futhermore, no one from outside California goes to Fanime. Everyone and their mom goes to AX.

A better example would be A-kon's jrock stuff, which has been going on for much longer than anywhere else. I've never been to the con myself, but I hear it's always done very, very well.

I had more to say in here, but, uh, I just lost it. Eek.

And yes, this means you.
soshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2003, 06:22 PM   #9
shogun

Well, here is a question for all of you. What if it were a band like Boa, TMR or L'arc? It would be too expensive to give away a free concert and making them perform a song or two during masquerade judging would be a terrible waste.

IF a con were to bring them over, would you pay to see them in a REAL concert? If so, how much? Would $45 for a front row seat and $25 for a balcony seat be too much?

Also, for those serious fans who don't want to come to a convention worrying about whether you will get a ticket or not, would you willing to pay for the extra convenience of having a third party like ticketmaster coordinate the ticket sales just so you can get them on-line and before the con?

Mike
shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2003, 06:50 PM   #10
ayonoi

Quote:
Originally posted by lupineloli
I had a very lengthily reply to this - as I am the creator of the Jrock Events even before it was an "offical" AX program. However, that lengthily reply is not appropriate at this time as the J-rock Events have yet to happen for this year.

Let me just be the official person to say that I will not be returning next year - and all details over the future of the J-rock Events have really yet to be set and are in the works.

As the originator of these events, please trust me, everyone. You will receive your information ASAP.

Please support Anime EXpo J-rock Events 2003 as well as the Duel Jewel Concert
It is really too bad you are retiring, you have done such a good job! (I enjoyed myself tremendously last year at the AX events and took lots of photos!). I know it takes a lot of work...I am barely starting to work-in some j-rock stuff at Yaio-con (where I ran the J-rock videos last year, and where i am doing it again) with a few glitches here and there. But I think I would not have dared to do it without being inspired by what i saw at AX last year.

So I want to really give you a big hug and I hope to see you at the J-rock events at AX!

Minna-san: Please support J-rock events at all cons!

Alma
Unread 06-26-2003, 07:04 PM   #11
ayonoi

Quote:
Originally posted by soshi
I have no idea what Gakufest IS...

Making people pay extra for something at a convention is a bad, bad, BAD idea. Most people are already paying for a full day pass, and the last thing they're going to want to do is have to pay to get into something else. If it's part of the con, it should be included in the admission cost.

I don't think it's fair to use the jrock stuff at Fanime as an example for continuing the jrock events at Anime Expo - not only was Fanime too close to AX for many people, it barely advertised the event at all (I've never even heard of it, and I was keeping up with Fanime's stuff!), and it made people pay to get into it. Those are three things you just don't do. Futhermore, no one from outside California goes to Fanime. Everyone and their mom goes to AX.

A better example would be A-kon's jrock stuff, which has been going on for much longer than anywhere else. I've never been to the con myself, but I hear it's always done very, very well.

I had more to say in here, but, uh, I just lost it. Eek.
I find it interesting that people who went to Fanime did not know about Gakufest since it was advertised in the Fanime website, I guess they did not advertise at all. I am a j-rock junkie and belong to several mailing lists so I found out about it and brought some people with me. But as you also pointed out, the timing was not really good and people could not attend Gakufest and then AX pretty soon after.
You are right to say that things should not be done by what happened at Fanime but to look at A-kon, the original con that had j-rock related events. They are very well attended although this year, the organization for the Duel Jewel concert was really bad, I was joking that the fans would have done a better job organizing the whole thing >_<!! Anyhow, I hope organizers at other cons learn from what A-kon has done in order to understand how to do it at their cons.

Alma
Unread 06-26-2003, 07:07 PM   #12
ayonoi

Quote:
Originally posted by shogun
Well, here is a question for all of you. What if it were a band like Boa, TMR or L'arc? It would be too expensive to give away a free concert and making them perform a song or two during masquerade judging would be a terrible waste.

IF a con were to bring them over, would you pay to see them in a REAL concert? If so, how much? Would $45 for a front row seat and $25 for a balcony seat be too much?

Also, for those serious fans who don't want to come to a convention worrying about whether you will get a ticket or not, would you willing to pay for the extra convenience of having a third party like ticketmaster coordinate the ticket sales just so you can get them on-line and before the con?

Mike
Let's see...
TMR is playing at Otakon so that can be scratched off the list. I really like him (one of the few j-pop acts I like) but I can't go to Otakon but if he were to play in the Bay Area, you bet I would go and pay good money for a ticket! The same for L'arc.

Yeah, I would pay money to go see them, the same way I spent the money to see the bands at Gakufest. Hell, I would pay A LOT of money to go see Dir en Grey, even if there was a middle man, as long as I got to see them!!

Alma
yes, I am a j-rock fan!
Unread 06-26-2003, 07:40 PM   #13
soshi
onna kaizoku

I don't think anime conventions SHOULD have big-name bands like that, for the reasons you listed exactly. It's not fair to them, and it's not fair to their fans. If they want to play here, then they need to have a tour that goes here, or there should be some deal made with the con, that con-goers get discounted concert tickets, or something.

I think indies bands are great for cons (and cons are great for indies bands!), they just need to be marketed properly.

And yes, this means you.
soshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2003, 08:36 PM   #14
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

First of all, just wanted to say I'm not much of a j-rock fan, but I wanted to share some of the information about the Gakufest since I did attend Fanime.

The price was a factor, since I wasn't a fan, the thought of paying extra just to see what the concert was like didn't appeal to me.

Because of the poor attendence the event became free later that day, however I only saw signs about the free concert on the second floor of the hotel, which wasn't *all* that heavily trafficed. Maybe if they put up more signs in the convention center, dealers room, hotel lobby, etc, attendence might have picked up.

Also there was no schedule of when the concert was. I vaguly remember seeing the concert was going to run from 1pm to 11pm. 8-/ Or something really weird like that. Just to make sure I wasn't totally off, according to Kevin Lillard Fanime report he wrote on Gakufest, "an event that originally was announced as an 11-hour show." 8-O

If you're interested Kevin Lillard also wrote his peice on why he thinks the Gakufest didn't turn out very well. He was the photographer for that event too and was invited to take photos of the performers.

http://www.fansview.com/2003/fanimecon/fanotes.htm
ZiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2003, 08:55 PM   #15
domestik
pudding king

MAJOR publicizing for Jrock events (or ANY events, period) would be of the good. The only reason I even HEARD about Gakufest was because a friend of mine TOLD me about it on AIM one day, and threatened me if I didn't go. o_O; Although the threat had nothing to do with my attendance. ^^

Dude. The show up for the concerts were a total washout. The seats were barely half-filled--at least for the Blood concert and the one prior to them. *shakes head*

Oh, and the discounted tickets thing was at Fanime. Just that they were for pre-registered con-goers only. Regular con-goers had to pay the full price (although I'm sure several managed to get their hands on the "pink pass" that got you the discount...) of $30.

I also had no idea that the ticket price covered the ENTIRE DAY. -___-;

For future events, I believe that some good communication, advertising, shameless plugging, and publicizing would be of the good. x_x And hey, TEAM WORK is the best thing in getting everything accomplished!