Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
Shadow_Kitsune
Mashed potato artist

Post Tobi Mask Tutorial

Hello there! Today, I'll be teaching you how to create Uchiha Madara's (Tobi's) mask for your very own cosplaying/fun purposes! =)
I couldn't find any tutorials on the Internet that produced a semi-decent and overall STURDY mask so, I gave a shot and making my very own. And I hope I can atleast save a few angry souls who have had the same problem as I did.
I don't have pictures for each and every single step so, I'm going to do my best explaining the steps that don't have images. If you have any questions, please post or message me.
Please have patience upon making your mask because it took me a few days to actually finish this. It is a simple accessory, but it is a bit of a chore to do.
This is my first tutorial so, I hope you find this helpful in some way.

Completion time: 7 days (if you don't go without working on it for weeks like I did)
Difficulty level: ***
Approximate cost of purchased materials: $15-25

STEP 1~ The materials!
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...s/Photo105.jpg

Okay. First off, you'll need to get some materials!
At Michale's, I was wandering around to find something to make it out of. I found a papier mache mixture along with clay, called Cellucaly II. (I'm not sure what was wrong with the original...)
This stuff was only 5.99, because it was on clearance. It is very strong and is pretty ideal to work with, rather than newspaper and that home-made stuff.
you'll want to search for a color that is exactly, or similar, to the mask.
I had no luck at Michale's, so I found a good size bottle at Wal Mart for 79 cents, along with a pack of 3 big sponge brushes for 87 cents.
You'll want to get;

-Sponge brushes
-Celluclay II (or whatever you think you would think is best, but this is great to use)
-Lots of orange and (optional)black paint
-A very good metal filer
-Fine grade sandpaper (600-1500 works best)
-X-acto knife
-Package of balloons (your color choice) c:
-An old visor (preferably black)
-Scissors
-Towel
-Pencil
-Soft white eraser
-Bowl
-Hairdryer
-Small bottle of 'Krazy Glue' brand super glue
-Black ink brush pen (optional)
-Outdoor Workspace
-Patience
-Time

STEP 2~ Mixing the material

Start off by inflating the balloon to the right size of your face. Have someone there to tell you if it looks about the right size.
Try to keep it as close as you can. If you come off a little too big, no worries for you can file that down later.
Take a long, Rubbermaid or, whatever container and pour the entire package of Celluclay mixture along with a little water. Keep a cup of water next to you if it feels too hard. But do not add the entire thing all at once! The correct consistency should be that of clay. Not too hard but not like applesauce.
Knead like bread dough until you've mixed all of the dry and wet mixture together.
Take your balloon and place it on top of a cereal bowl to prevent it from rolling away or getting all over the ground.

STEP 3~ Putting the Clay On
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...s/Photo110.jpg

Take the clay and start putting on on the front of the balloon. Try not to get it to where it starts to curve too much like at the top or the sides. About halfway between the bowl should be good.
Try to smooth it as you go so you don't have to do so much work when sanding time comes.
Make sure you've got a nice size thickness (but not too thick) so it won't be too heavy for the balloon to support, but not too thin so when it comes time for you go to sand, it won't snap on you.

STEP 4~ The Dry Factor

After you think you have the right thickness and range of clay down on your balloon, this will take a couple days to somewhat dry. After three or four days, you can start sanding and cutting the eyehole. Each morning you wake up, you can give it a gentle poke depending on its level of dryness, to see how it's coming along.
Or, for the eager individual, you can wait two days and dry your mask with a hairdryer, though it may take a while and it probably will be suicide for your hairdryer.

You can now pop your balloon.

STEP 5~ Sanding!

Once you're ready, you can start sanding your mask to rid of any bumps, grooves, misshapen parts, or dips that could have occurred from drying.
You'll want a good metal filer to file the edges if you made it too big.
This step takes a long time because your mask is hard, but still damp because it's not completely dry. Be careful not to crack it or bend it during sanding.
You can use regular sandpaper (not the fine grade kind yet) to sand any flaws.
After hours of arm-tiring, wrist cracking sanding, you can lightly sketch an eyehole to roughly the size of a Snapple tea bottle lid. Or, if you don't have that, a decent size to see through.
This step takes the longest so be patient!

STEP 6~ Cutting the Eyehole

After you've sanded to your liking and sketched the eyehole, you can take the sharp X-acto knife and carefully cut a circle according to your size.
This step should be somewhat easy to cut because the mask is still wet in the center.
You will want to sand the edges where you just cut carefully so it's smooth and round.

STEP 7~ Sanding...again. *grumble*

After you have sanded, cut the eye hole, and sanded once again, you can now smooth out your mask!
My dad bought me fine grade smooth sandpaper that varies in smoothness levels depending on its number. The roughest of the two is 600, while the smoothest; 1500.
There could be higher and lower number levels but those are the only two I am aware of. You can pick those up at your local hardware store.
On to sanding...again.
This stuff is very, how should I put it, dusty when you sand.
Keep a rag or a paper towel to wipe your mask and your sandpaper often.
The mask should be noticeably smoother as time goes on. You can smooth wherever for as long as you like.

STEP 8~ Painting Your Work

Congratulations, you've got by most of the grunt work buy now!
But now you must paint and add those ever-important finishing touches.
After you finished sanding, you can get your paint(s) and brushes and start the fun painting part.
Coat your entire surface with three or more coats of orange. You might want to pick up a few bottles depending on the quality and quantity of paint you chose.
You can paint the inside if you want to, but I didn't because I really needed all the paint I could get for the outside.
After you've finished painting with the orange, let it dry for a while and come back to it either with black paint and a nice sized skinny paintbrush, or a nice black ink brush pen. But first; use a refrence picture of him [Tobi] so you can get as close to the picture as you can, and lightly sketch the swirl pattern.
I used the brush pen because I can't paint curved surfaces in a nice spiral worth a damn. Plus it stands out more than the paint because it won't dry a lighter black than the paint will.
I used a Copic medium brush black ink pen.
You also will want to carefully paint the ring inside of the eyehole.
And once you've let whatever you used for the lines dry, erase any stray pencil lines with the soft eraser. But be careful not to smudge your ink or paint.

STEP 9~ Attatching and Holding
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r235/Taivgami/Cosplay%20Tutorials/Photo120.jpg

Almost through! Bet you're sick of this thing already, huh? XD
Anyway, let us move onto how we're going about sticking this on your face.
Grab the visor, scissors, and Krazy Glue for this step.
Start by cutting the hat part off of your visor so all you have left is the band.
Now, put it into your mask and use a pencil to sketch in guide lines so you know and where to put it so it doesn't hang down too low, or is obstructing your veiw.
After you've lined it up inside of the mask, take the Krazy Glue and use as much as you can on this step. Put it on the front of the visor aswell as the sides of the visor and in inside of the mask. You will want to hold it and re-glue it a couple times just to make sure it will stay. Which it should, because mine is very sturdy.

STEP 10~ Congratulations~!
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r235/Taivgami/Cosplay%20Tutorials/Photo144.jpg

Well, it seems congratulations are in order. You just finished your mask! It was a little hard though, wasn't it? But in the end you have a great cosplaying mask that can be used again and again!
Thank you for letting my help you on your cosplay!
As always, good materials, good attitude, and happy cosplaying!

Extra: You can buy a sealant spray to make your mask shiny or protect it from rain after you've painted. But most cons are in the summer, and the spray I bought can cause wicked cancer.
So I threw it away.
But always use outdoors and with a mask!

Upcoming Con:
KumoriCon 2008
Tobi- 100%
L Lawliet- 50%

DA
|Super Smash Bros. Brawl:
1934-1027-4709
Shadow_Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Manda~Chan
Manda

Awesome. What did you do for wearing it?

Last edited by Manda~Chan : 06-15-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Manda~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Apocali
Scrafty

Nice tutorial. It's almost the same way I make mine, but lots of variations and it only takes a day.

1.5 packs of Paperclay
1 pack Papercloth
1 bottle ea. Pumpkin orange and Dark orange paint
1 bottle black paint
1 can of Sealant Matte spray
at least 1 yard black elastic
foam

paintbrush
x-actoknife
scissors
hotglue
bowl of water and towel

If you substitute paperclay wrapped over papercloth, you can bake them to speed up the drying. My last one came out great, but I sold it.