Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #16
Shine-Chan
Happy Little Tv

Try looking here there are over 300 pages of steamy goodness for men and women.
http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-for...hp?topic=104.0

Also check out their tactile board for masive piles of gadgets and lots of tutorials.
Shine-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-27-2008, 06:01 PM   #17
darkStars
Kisame's Fan

Seriusly, the botanist seems to be the nicer one, realy.
darkStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #18
paper cosplay
going 2D in a 3D artform

well you all got me thinking about steampunk so I dug thou my old costumes and thew together a steampunk costume with pieces from other costumes
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/162288/
Unread 07-31-2008, 01:55 AM   #19
steam_punk

well ello chaps! as the steam punk, I have to chip in(yes, im new, ive never felt like registering): a botanist sounds fantastic! There plenty of sky pirates, but who's working on the good ole world? Maybe make some giant half brass tree thing...

anyway, go go gadget botanist!
steam_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #20
Geek Fairy

I came up with the idea earlier of being a steampunk librarian. It seems pretty Victorian, and you have an excuse to wear some kind of goggle-ish reading glasses. Maybe a little magnifier thing for fine print. You could carry around books with gears and such on the cover.
Geek Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 11:20 PM   #21
ichigo-chan7
Thats me ^ so is that v

hmm mine sorta morphed into a wyatt earp/johnny ringo thing XD not sure how thats gonna work though hmm, you think a more western look will work better than an english-ish look better?
http://www.animaidcafe.org/
Peace.Love.Anime.Cake
http://ichipuff7.deviantart.com/
ichigo-chan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #22
tsuoi_kaze
PERSONA! *bang*

Thanks for the link, Shine-Chan, it might help me put together something.
I love steampunk, and have wanted to try it out fir a while now, but I've really never been clear on how to make something steampunk rather than just period wear without going too over the top with gear, ya know?
tsuoi_kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #23
ymerej
Most Efforts Are Wasted

Wow, this is a really interesting thread. You guys are awesome.

I've been getting discouraged by traditional anime cosplay because many people seem like such...snobs, for lack of a better term. Either you slave and slave and slave to make something EXACTLY (EX-ACT-LY) like what appears on screen or else you're a pitiful noob deserving only scorn. Please.

Whereas a 'freeform' costume based on the standards of your own imagination but also inspired by things you like (and I DO like anime) seems like a much mentally healthier endeavor.

I love steampunk stuff--particularly Steamboy, Last Exile, Dark Cloud 2, Arcanum, Castle in the Sky etc.--and have been thinking and sketching out a 'steampunk librarian' costume. It seems like the perfect thing for me since I work as a librarian at an engineering library. I have a sketch which I'll scan at some point but here's the idea for now:

1.) Black silk pants, saddle shoes/wingtips (maybe spats, if I can find them)
2.) White linen shirt, black vest
3.) Maybe some kind of fingerless victorian gloves
4.) Single enormous 'grimoire'-style book belted shut and worn on straps like a backpack; presumably with cool occult and/or steampunk emblems on the outside (I could get a spare bicycle chainring, paint it black or copper or rust it up or something and fasten it to the cover)
5.) Belt with multiple hanging 'bandolier' pockets of many small books (size of a paperback but hardcover, covered with black cloth or fake leather--like those moleskine notebooks they sell only thicker) and/or rolled scrolls all the way around my waist
6.) Maybe more such small hanging books on the vest or around my chest on a bandolier
7.) I already wear fairly distinctive, narrow rectangular glasses; I could easily get all my old pairs and 'stack' them up my forehead

Sound interesting? All I really need is a place to get a good 18th- or 19th-century style white shirt. I'm thinking like the one Balthar wears in FF12? I do NOT have the time and patience to learn to be a shirtwaist-maker.
Unread 08-26-2008, 10:26 PM   #24
Keiosu
Plastic Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymerej View Post
Sound interesting? All I really need is a place to get a good 18th- or 19th-century style white shirt. I'm thinking like the one Balthar wears in FF12? I do NOT have the time and patience to learn to be a shirtwaist-maker.
Try here. They have nice selection of different styles of shirts, along with other era goods.
-------

I'm making my own steampunk outfit as well, but like the creator I need some help establishing my character's profession/class in order to built the remaining elements of my outfit around it. We really need to set up an official thread on the forums here for steampunk, so people can commute there for idea and advice exchanges, general chat about the genre, info link, etc.

Nothin'
Keiosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #25
ymerej
Most Efforts Are Wasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiosu View Post
Try here. They have nice selection of different styles of shirts, along with other era goods.
-------

I'm making my own steampunk outfit as well, but like the creator I need some help establishing my character's profession/class in order to built the remaining elements of my outfit around it. We really need to set up an official thread on the forums here for steampunk, so people can commute there for idea and advice exchanges, general chat about the genre, info link, etc.
Thanks for the info. I'll have a look.

Isn't this an "official" enough thread for steampunk costumes?
Unread 08-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #26
Keiosu
Plastic Voyager

Yeah I guess you're right. I was just thinking that some people might over look it, since it's title and beginning is a help thread for the creator.

Nothin'
Keiosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #27
ymerej
Most Efforts Are Wasted

I checked that shirt site. They aren't quite the right periods: I'd rather go later (1890s) or earlier (1790s) rather than the Old West (1860s-1880s) period that their stuff is aimed at. Plus, it's a little expensive. On top of that, I remembered I have a nice, plain white band-collar shirt and a little black metal stud to go other the top button. It's modern, but still 'works'.

Thanks for the information anyway.

So I guess what I need now is the vest and all the 'book stuff'. I put out a call on my local Freecycle asking for anyone with old bicycle chainrings to let me know. Hopefully someone will have an old rustcycle in their backyard or something.
Unread 09-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #28
Vividwings
Warhammer Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymerej View Post

1.) Black silk pants, saddle shoes/wingtips (maybe spats, if I can find them)
http://www.burdastyle.com/howtos/show/1248

Spats aren't that hard to make, here's a tutorial with a link to a pattern. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems pretty straightforward.

Check out the new Warhammer 40K cosplay forum, Obscurus Crusade! http://z6.invisionfree.com/Obscurus_...ex.php?act=idx
Vividwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #29
ichigo-chan7
Thats me ^ so is that v

hmm that looks cool

i just changed mine yet again, im going to try to design a locksmith and see how that goes

i also have these goggles ive had for forever i cant really wear them since they are really big for my face you think they would work?

goggle.jpg

goggle1.jpg

please and thank you
http://www.animaidcafe.org/
Peace.Love.Anime.Cake
http://ichipuff7.deviantart.com/
ichigo-chan7 is offline   Reply With Quote