Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > AnimeFEST

Unread 06-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
ChibiBritt
The Chibi

Cosplay Contest News

Well I checked the Afest boards today and found some interesting info. I appologize if this was already posted...and in that case I won't feel hurt if it gets deleted...

Quote:
The AF board of directors made a decision late last year that we would not be pursuing a band/performer for 2008. Some background and then I will explain...

Cosplay: This event has grown every year to an incredible size. Cosplay has always been a primary attraction for our members, but in recent years it seems that many of our members enjoy the art of imitating fictional characters more than the anime or manga the characters are from. We felt that our programming around cosplay had not grown in proportion to the growth in it's fandom.

Concerts: As you probably know, AF was one of the conventions to start the trend of getting anime and j-pop music guests back in 2001. Since then, we've had a non-stop stream of great performers. Year to year the response to our performers has been mixed. The higher the tie-in with an anime series, the greater the attention. In the past few years we've been spending approximately 20% of our total gross income to fund the concert. Much of this cost is related to renting sound and lighting equipment. Additionally, whenever we have a band they need a LOT of time to rehearse and perform sound checks. This means that our largest event room is unusable for other activities for most of the convention. This is an lot of space/time/money to spend on an event which, in many cases, only interests a minority of our members.

So, how do fix both problems... We decided to take a year off from band/performers and take the opportunity to:

1) Split Cosplay into two events: A Masquerade (costume contest) on Saturday night, and a Cosplay (costume skit/group contest) on Sunday night. This will allow costume artists to take part in both competitions in the same or different costumes. This will also allow us to give more time to each contestant.

2) Focus on anime/manga Japanese guests

3) Invest in our own sound and lighting equipment to make it more cost effective in future years to get bands.

This will allow us to try something new for 2008 and open up more options for 2009 and beyond.

Feel free to flame me on this issue. The board approved it, but I am the one who proposed the change. I would appreciate any feedback (good and bad) on this change.

-Robert
Cosplay Staff/Panelist for A-Kon
Ani-Idol/Voice Over Idol Director for A-Kon, AnimeFest
ChibiBritt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
TR Rose
Meowing About

Much, much love to Afest for this. I'm looking forward to it!
• 10th Doctor
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
Inuyasha_Kun
The Hanyou

I never go to any of the band performances at any cons anyway.. so it wont be a disapointment to me...

Conventions 2013:
A-kon-Catzi, Botan (dark tournament), Akane Tendou. (maybe Inuyasha)
Tokyo In Tulsa,
Izumi-con
Inuyasha_Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
xmstreefromhell

Think this is a REALLY good decision on their part. I foresee this to mean less stress over cosplay, which is never a bad thing!
xmstreefromhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
keriko
Koneko Cosplay

no band?!

Ok i understand the cool idea of splitting the cosplay contest, allowing more people to enter and dividing the focus between craftsmanship and skit; but at the cost of the concert?! Lord knows that would've been nice to have this past A-Kon.

However, every con I go to, i see the concert if for nothing else than to experience new music and see a band perform while straining around someone's epic staff to see. (it really is quite an experience)
If they are not having a band (which personally saddens me) then I hope the live action room steps up its j-music sections with new music and not the same stuff I see every year.

I know there's no pleasing everyone, I just hope the backlash isn't too great from those attending who are more into j-culture than anime.

Captain of Koneko Cosplay

Upcoming Cosplay
Sage Onion Knight (FF Dissidia) - 5%
Kariya (The World Ends With You) 100%
Izanagi (Persona 4) 100%
keriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
PockyPants
PockyPants

Personally, unless it happens to be my favorite band ever, I rather dislike concerts. So obviously, I think this is a great idea! ^.^
Unread 06-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
Empathica

Sooo. The cosplay skit contests will be on Sunday? I'll have to tell my friend this.
Empathica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
Koda89

Wait, so is the Saturday contest just for single people and the Sunday contest for skits and walk-on groups?

They need to word that better, as me and my friends are going to enter a group walk-on of Soul Eater characters, and we need to know which day to sign up for.

Planned Costumes:
- Scarecrow(Batman): 100%
- Spike(My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic): 100%
- DJ P0N-3(My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic): 100%
Koda89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
Cat-Chans
Glaceon, I choose you!

I thought it was walk ons Saturday and Skits Sunday. You could try asking on the anime fest forum for clarification.
Unread 06-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #10
keriko
Koneko Cosplay

So Saturday is for judging craftsmanship? Am i right in assuming that?

I want to enter my Soul Eater group on the craftsmanship day as we'll have made our costumes from scratch. Since our P3 group is mostly modded wear (and thusly I feel not worthy of being judge for craftsmanship) I'd like to reserve that one for skits day.

Captain of Koneko Cosplay

Upcoming Cosplay
Sage Onion Knight (FF Dissidia) - 5%
Kariya (The World Ends With You) 100%
Izanagi (Persona 4) 100%
keriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2008, 03:19 AM   #11
pooker

I enjoyed the concert at A-kon, oh well I guess I will have to makek up for it with other fun activities.
pooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2008, 02:21 AM   #12
Hee-Hee
+Twinzik+

From what I know (and since nothing has been officially produced to clarify this it's only second-hand information), all Walk-ons will be on Saturday and all skits Sunday. Also, you're allowed to enter the same costume in both contests.

I personally find that last bit a little unfair, so hopefully I'm wrong about it.

Next Con: Anime Matsuri!

Simon Petrikov - Adventure Time
Jack Frost - Rise of the Guardians
Sandman - Rise of the Guardians

Crunchyroll Cosplay Ambassador
Check out Crunchyroll HERE

Hee-Hee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #13
Mystic~
aka Darth Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeeHee View Post
From what I know (and since nothing has been officially produced to clarify this it's only second-hand information), all Walk-ons will be on Saturday and all skits Sunday. Also, you're allowed to enter the same costume in both contests.

I personally find that last bit a little unfair, so hopefully I'm wrong about it.

That would be odd. You're not competeing for craftsmanship with a skit after all.

I hope we get more updates soon. :/
Mystic~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2008, 06:05 PM   #14
thefinal
Sapphira

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeeHee View Post

I'm not sure about whether you're allowed to enter the same costume or not but you are very correct in the way things are split up.

Any form of walk-ons will be on Saturday.

Any form of skits will be on Sunday.

You might want to try emailing Michael through his AnimeFest website. I'm only anticipating participating in the Saturday walk-on contest, so not sure about the rules for Sunday or whether there can be a repeat of a costume. I do not see why there wouldn't be a repeat because walk-ons are still different from skits. I could be wrong, but he's the best man to ask.

2012 Cons
Katsucon - Dallas Comic Con - A-kon - AnimeFest - AnimeUSA

thefinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2008, 12:03 AM   #15
Kikala
SPIDERPIG!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinal View Post
You might want to try emailing Michael through his AnimeFest website. I'm only anticipating participating in the Saturday walk-on contest, so not sure about the rules for Sunday or whether there can be a repeat of a costume. I do not see why there wouldn't be a repeat because walk-ons are still different from skits. I could be wrong, but he's the best man to ask.
Okay, I've been trying to e-mail him through his account there. And, I'm not sure if it's just my e-mail, but it back fired... and I really need to get in touch and ask him a few questions, preferably as soon as possible, but I can't remember his other e-mail address... And the Animefest one is either not working, or my e-mail is just being lame. Is there any other way to get in touch with him?
Kikala is offline   Reply With Quote