Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > InuYasha

Unread 06-03-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
uniquelychallen
.:Nutter:.

Rin Costume - Inuyasha

I'm going to my first anime convention this September. My favorite character of all time is Rin so she's going to be my first costume ever. I'm going to do her in the orange/yellow kimono but I have a few questions.

1. Does anyone know how to make a simple kimono?
2. How could I put the bubbles pattern it?
3. Does she have any props?

I dont think she has any props thats why I ask.

Thanks!!
uniquelychallen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
pmastamonkmonk
BOOM. Headshot.

The bubbles would be fabric paint, but you'll have to mock a pattern and make the checkers yourself because there aren't any stores that carry that particular sized checker.

For Props, a Sesshoumaru and Jaken plush? I have both so I know they make them. There's also the possibility of commishing an Ah-Un one (the horseybird she rides on) or Kohaku (they seem to be a popular pairing).

Or be mean and carry a wolf, that'd make me laugh if I saw it.
pmastamonkmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Butterick 6698 ( seen here: http://www.smartcart.com/1sew/cgi/di...em_num=6698but ) is a very simple kimono pattern, not authentic, but easy to sew.

However, like pmastamonkmonk said, it's very unlikely that you're going to find a checkered orange and pale yellow fabric like Rin's, so you have two options there really.

1. Make the fabric yourself by quilting squares of orange and pale yellow fabric together, then cut the kimono pattern pieces from that.

2. Paint the squares on the fabric prior to cutting out the pattern pieces. The fastest way would be to buy pale yellow fabric and paint the orange squares on with fabric/textile paint, I recommend Jaquard textile paints, which can be found at many Joann's fabric stores.

For the bubble designs, you could cut the designs out of fabric and either sew or use heat n bond to iron them on, but I think textile paint would be easiest and look nice too, if done with a stencil.

As for props, she usually doesn't have anything, but carrying a Jaken or Sesshoumaru plush would be cute. Both are still available on eBay and at some conventions.
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
uniquelychallen

Thanks a lot I was half thinking about walking around with flowers and giving them to anyone dressed like fluffy haha
Unread 06-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
EelKat
Bride of Sesshomaru

I'm making one too! http://www.squidoo.com/CosPlayRinCostume (my website)

Simple and historically accurate kimono:

cut 4 body panels 60" x 15"
cut 2 sleeve panels 52" x 15"
cut 2 front overlap panels 54" X 7"
cut 1 collar 54" x 7"

see instructions on assembly here: http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm (not my website)

I'm planning to use yellow brocade and orange brocade and patchwork them together, and embroider the circles on mine.

She has no props except maybe a bouquet of flowers, she seems to like yellow ones best, and as some else said, a Jarken plushie would be cute.

Also I'd recommend flip flops for shoes, cause going barefoot just isn't a really good option in public

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquelychallen View Post
Thanks a lot I was half thinking about walking around with flowers and giving them to anyone dressed like fluffy haha
too bad mine won't be done in time It's going to take me 3 or 4 months just to do the embroidery on his kimono (I've gone uber historically accurate for Sesshy; see here: http://www.squidoo.com/LordSesshomaruCostume for more info on my complete insanity), and than I've still got to make the armor... a nightmare and a half, cause I'm making real armor out of leather and metal

I silk, kimonos, and pretty men in fur boas!

Some thoughts on making a Sesshomaru costume historically accurate.

My Sewing & CosPlay Blog (where to find out what I'm working on now.)

Last edited by EelKat : 06-06-2008 at 04:13 PM.
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EelKat View Post

too bad mine won't be done in time It's going to take me 3 or 4 months just to do the embroidery on his kimono (I've gone uber historically accurate for Sesshy; see here: http://www.squidoo.com/LordSesshomaruCostume for more info on my complete insanity), and than I've still got to make the armor... a nightmare and a half, cause I'm making real armor out of leather and metal

>< We know! You say that in every post! Every single one! You write novels about your 'historically accurate' Inuyasha costumes, and let me tell you, I'm not the only one you bore to death. We could make a drinking game of it, everytime you hijack a thread to talk about that crap, and we'd all be drunk inside of 3 of your posts.

You necro-post old threads to add useless drivel about your costumes, and it's getting old. Please, next time you feel like saying something totally irrelevant, save it for your site or livejournal.

At any rate, that pattern you posted wouldn't work for Rin, her sleeves are not typical kimono sleeves, they're exactly like the ones in the men's view (view D) of the Butterick pattern I posted. People new to sewing should probably work from an actual printed pattern, not vague internet instructions, that's a more intermediate/advanced level project.
Unread 06-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #7
Muze
Lol Photoshoots

Lol
Muze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #8
pmastamonkmonk
BOOM. Headshot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animeisha View Post

At any rate, that pattern you posted wouldn't work for Rin, her sleeves are not typical kimono sleeves, they're exactly like the ones in the men's view (view D) of the Butterick pattern I posted. People new to sewing should probably work from an actual printed pattern, not vague internet instructions, that's a more intermediate/advanced level project.
QFT.

I'm still not that experienced and ALWAYS look for patterns to work off of, even if I may have to do some alterations. It's like baking, this pattern is proven to work, altering it a little bit is okay afterwards because you know it's coming out right initially.
Unread 06-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
uniquelychallen

Thanks for all the suggestions i know a few people who are amazing with sewing machines and since I am not (and the fact that I dont own one..it wasn't working so it was thrown out) I might actually have someone sew the whole thing {even the checkers} but I want to know what they'll charge me if anything at all, and if they're willing to put up with doing that.

Another quick question..or two lol.

Has anyone ever tried glueing a pattern rather than sewing it {dont want to do this, but if times running out I may just have to}.

What kind of fabric do you suggest? I'm going in september in wisconsin so it'll either be hot or cold, the weather sucks here haha.

Thanks, sorry im such a newbie
Unread 06-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #10
pmastamonkmonk
BOOM. Headshot.

NEVER glue a costume together. Sweety, just don't. You'll risk having it fall apart while you're wearing it.

Always sew.

A kimono is not hard to sew, trust me, I can punch one out in about 5 hours now. If you make it, THEN paint the checkers on as suggested above, that'll save you time, but never glue it together
Unread 06-06-2008, 07:33 PM   #11
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmastamonkmonk View Post
QFT.

I'm still not that experienced and ALWAYS look for patterns to work off of, even if I may have to do some alterations. It's like baking, this pattern is proven to work, altering it a little bit is okay afterwards because you know it's coming out right initially.
Exactly. Why re-invent the wheel? I've been making costumes for years, and I still use a pattern whenever possible. I can draft my own patterns, but if there's something commercial available, why bother? Same thing for internet instructions, I could do that too, but if there's something perfectly serviceable on paper, that's easier.

Besides, as has been stated tons of times on these forums, there's little point in trying to make Inuyasha costumes historically accurate, because the outfits themselves are NOT historically accurate. Some of them are, but usually not for the time period the show takes place in.

Anyways, the OP inferred that he/she was new to cosplay, so I suggested an easy way to construct the outfit. Details fine, details great, if you want to construct something that will take months just to embroider, whatever, but I figured the OP might like to complete and wear her costume, you know, this year, instead of just talking about it on forums constantly.
Unread 06-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #12
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

To uniquelychallen, you definitely don't want to glue it, especially if you're wearing it in the summer, even hot glue will melt enough for the costume to fall apart I'm afraid.

If machines aren't your thing, you could always handsew it. It's time consuming, but it works.

http://www.cosplay.com/showpost.php?...4&postcount=43

There's some basic hand stitches. It's easier than you'd think. As long as you're not topstitching, i.e. all your stitchwork will be on the inside, thus invisible, I think you'd be fine.

Oh yes, and as for what fabric, I think a nice cotton would work just fine. Like a quilters or Kona cotton, I'd stay away from broadcloth, it's a bit thin. You'll probably want to wear a similarly colored tank top and a pair of shorts underneath anyways, in case of erm, wardrobe malfunction, but even so, cotton won't be too hot, even in summer.

*edit*

Sorry for the double post, I truly thought I was editing my last post, the sun is shining right on my dim laptop screen, so I can't see things too well, my apologies!

Last edited by Bahzi : 06-06-2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: I'm dumb apparently
Unread 06-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #13
uniquelychallen

Lol I didn't even think of glue melting!!! Im going with my guy friends who would be like "WHOA, awesome! Your naked!" but they'd try to cover me up at the same time.

So yeah, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I'll see if my awesome sewers are willing to make it for me or else i'll hand stitch it...or finally get a new sewing machine

If I have any other questions I'll ask but as of now I'm good. Thanks again..and again.

.:Edit:.

I thought of a question and posted it on the hair boards but you two have been extremly helpful. WHICH MAKES YOU GUYS AWESOME!!

How could I do her little tuff of hair without cutting a chunk of hair just to have it short?

Last edited by uniquelychallen : 06-06-2008 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Forgot a question ):<
Unread 06-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #14
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

for the hair:
pull back enough of your real hair to pull in a ponytail..make a ponytail but don't pull the hair all the way through...leave a little loop.
Make a small weft of hair and wrap around the loop and secure a hairtie around the end of the weft to mask the hairtie. (if it still shows you can take a strand of your long hair and wrap it around the hairtie to hide it and bobby pin it in place.)
Finally secure the hair left over from your ponytail underneath your hair that you'll leave out so you don't have a mass of short hair on top of the rest of your long hair.

I hope that makes sense but if it doesn't I'll try my best to illustrate it with pictures..lol

And thirding to the there being no such thing as historically accurate Inuyasha or Sesshomaru costumes. Seriously...it's Rumiko. Her designs are always ridiculously unrealistic. Ever notice how her characters have bangs that consume half their head? O_o

And brocade for Rin would look silly. Yes, she pals around with the noble Sesshy but Rin is a simple country girl. Her outfit would be cotton.

Last edited by Miyabi- : 06-06-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Miyabi no spel gud. XD!
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote