Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Manga Chat

Unread 06-27-2003, 05:27 PM   #1
Jehuty
"Lets go ADA!"

Question Which one do you prefer?

Manga versions or Anime versions of series?

Lately i've been spending some of my extra time reading manga in bookstroes, I usually read the manga to series i'm already familiar with just to see the differences. For ex:

Neon Genesis Evangelion: I've found the manga to have way more chracter development and interaction than the anime, at lot of the stuff just made more sense in the manga version, it's also funnier in a way ( you know how dark eva is ) and thus leaves a slighty better feeling after walking away from it.

Chobits: moves way faster than the anime I found out the secret behinds several of the characters so quick it shocked me, i've only seen the 1st volume of it on dvd but the fact that 2 vols of the manga can go past 8 eps of animation is good the anime seems to drag things out now.

Yu Gi OH!: A lot darker in the manga form and it helps to take away some of the "kiddiness" from the series.

Basically i'm just currious if anyone prefers the manga version of a particular series over the anime or vice versa, and for what reasons.

try and keep spoilers to a minimum in consideration for others.

"This is what I live for, this is the purpose for living for those who have no life" - ADA

Last edited by Jehuty : 06-27-2003 at 05:29 PM.
Jehuty is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-27-2003, 06:11 PM   #2
aeva
H. Potter Connoisseur

...I think Saint Tail is so much cuter in manga form.. I like the style, and its much less cliche and kiddy-ish than the manga.

Personally, I like the Kodocha series much more than manga; iits so much more crack-influenced.

I really didn't like the Angelic Layer anime too much.. in my opinion, there was too much switch from the manga, which I've read in full and am very keen on. Icchan didn't have the same insane quality to him, there were less chibis, and they realyl didn't explain as much in the anime as I expected.

I see a very stark contrast between the Graviation anime and manga.... even the character designs differ greatly. The manga is much more sexual, and I feel that the characters are developed much more. Well, characters can only be developed so much over a 13-episode span.... chii....
aeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2003, 06:55 PM   #3
scandia
Overachiever

For real? I found the Angelic Layer anime to explain certain things, such as the founding of Angelic Layer and its reason, much deeper than the manga. I read the manga a long time ago, and with translations, which probably does not help. But the anime has gotten me hooked.

Otherwise, I usually prefer the manga version. Pretty much every other CLAMP work the manga is better than its anime version. Same for other favorites such as Sailor Moon. For Nadesico the anime is better though.
scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2003, 07:20 PM   #4
Arisa
asdfghjkl

So far, I've found that I prefer the manga.
Arisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2003, 11:01 PM   #5
Pendrell
yea for thou art kickass.

Gravi manga. :3 Oh yes. Aeva, I agree completely.
The manga's so much more appealing to me... I love Maki Murakami's style, especially watching it progress throughout the series.
Pendrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 12:00 AM   #6
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Lately I've preferred manga.. But it depends on the series. ^_^;

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: TBD
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 01:40 AM   #7
Velvy

Chobits -- Manga, but the anime is cute, just...not boring but...excessive at times.

Neon Genesis Evangelion -- Anime, but the manga is uber-close (mainly because of the kissing scene with Gendo and Rei--w00t!)

Kare Kano -- Anime. The anime kicks the manga into another hemisphere.

Marmalade Boy -- Manga. I loathe the anime with a passion.

Bakuretsu Hunters -- Both. The manga has more content, and Tira's outfit is better. But in the anime Chocolat has the better outfit, and Tira's design (with the long, PINK hair) is better than in the manga. There's also some nice music in the anime.

GTO -- Anime. It's just funnier. ^_^;

Most of the manga I really like hasn't been made into an anime yet anyways.
Unread 06-28-2003, 07:30 AM   #8
klaha

depends, but manga tends to be more detailed and i like that.
klaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 11:51 PM   #9
Machiko
watashi wa ningyoushi!

i enjoy manga better becuase i find the story is more intresting. Angel Sanctuary is changed since there are so many books. CCS is much different. i prefer the detail work of manga than Anime. It's my opinion ^.^-''
Machiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2003, 05:03 PM   #10
Scortia

Usually the manga... because, well, the artist knows just why she does what she does to her characters... but, in some cases the anime will be better. Plus, some of them are just way better suited to being in animated form. But some like DNAngel and Angel Sanctuary just really lose something when they're animated... the art style just doesn't click with the bright skin tones or loss of detail.
Unread 06-30-2003, 03:19 PM   #11
rei_hino
A Danger to Society

i like manga better usualy. makes me cry more sometimes.

fushigi yuugi- i saw the whole series plus 1+2 OVAs and I read the beginning of book 8. well, something didn't seem right. . .
I didnt read the whole thing just the frist 2 pages. .and the end. .
chichiri didnt cry in the anime but does in the manga. i mean in the series. .

st-tail -manga's cuter^_^
kodomo no omocha- I like the manga better. actually I haven't seen the anime but mangas funny
marmalade boy- MANGA much better
Sailor moon- I really like the art work. the pictures are really well drawn, and I just like the mangas better.
Love Hina- both equally great. But my favorite manga of all time is love hina, but its only like my 3rd favorite anime.
rayearth- I don't really like the anime. especially the english dub. Hikaru souns like some rabid chipmunk@_@ but I love the way mokona goes"pu pu! pupu!" but I think the manga is better. *what happened to their eyes?*
rei_hino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2003, 02:15 AM   #12
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Usually the manga, unlss the anime came first.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote