Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > J-Rock/J-Pop > Vocaloid

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 468 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 04-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #4576
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildshadow View Post
The vocaloid characters are generally flexible, right? I was thinking of starting a project with "halloween" or "dark" vocaloids. Basically try to have them in a context similar to something like lice of Human sacrifice. Maybe even have them dressed in a little older garment, corsets and stuff. Mainly, I was thinking like, Rin Kagamine, Meiko, Prima(with long hair), and maybe Sweet Anne or one of the other English females. What do you think, should I try it?
There are already quite a few Halloween VOCALOID designs.
"Halloween Monster Night" "Trick or Treat" "Ms. Pumpkin", etc.

If you want others to enjoy or appreciate your costume, I'd stick with those. Honestly, a lot of the "originals" look to me as though someone stuck a Vocaloid wig on the contents of their own closet and is just being lazy. The challenge is in either copying an existing design or drawing your own and then putting for the effort to make it. Just putting on your pajamas and saying "sleepover Vocaloids" kind of just adds to the overall burnout everyone seems to be feeling with the VOCALOIDS in fandom in general.

People tend to abuse their flexibility as an excuse to spam 38 costumes a year or be incredibly lazy with "original designs".

If you actually sit down and design something: it can come out awesomely. If you're just looking for an excuse to reuse your wig without any effort :/ Meh.

New stoof:
Aku no Meshitsukai (Symphonic Version)

探偵むしめか゛ね_~_さらば怪人256面相 (Len & GUMI)

Miku's Romeo and Cinderella has a 3D PV with new costumes for Miku and Kaito.

Miku runs away from home with intent to commit suicide in サクラノ前夜. Can she do it confronted with the beauty of the world around her? (This one's making a lot of people cry ^^ )

A VOCALOID version of the Urusei Yatsura OP is also up.

Len gets pitched up and aged-down for another shota-character-assassination piece: ShotaShotaFever Miracle Night

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 04-10-2010 at 05:21 PM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #4577
Wildshadow
Ninja Kitty

that's the thing, I'm trying to design them myself(with my crappy idea sketches that hardly look like clothes), and also trying to base it off of what they normally wear. I am in no way trying to be lazy, though my designs seem to include things that I might be able to buy easily. Perhaps a trip to a fabric and design store would give some inspiration? For the fact of re-using my wigs, I actually don't have any yet. I'm just trying to be origional.
Wildshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #4578
kiratsukai
culture shocked

If original designs are awesome ~ people can enjoy them as much as professional designs. But making a good character design isn't easy. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade... just telling it how I see it. If you enjoy your costume, that's the most important thing. But if you want others to enjoy your costume ~ you need to put as much effort as you can into making it something visually interesting and/or recognizable as possible.

Most people find original designs uninteresting. Not because original designs are a bad idea: but because most people use the label "original design" to describe whatever was in their closet paired with a character wig and/or some cat ears.

It's actually more difficult to pull off original designs than pre-made designs since you're making every part of the costume up in your head and require the vision and artistic skill to communicate that vision to an audience.

Personally, I think it's not a good idea to mix "original designs" and closet cosplay ~ it usually ends up looking lazy/muddled.

I think people will get a bigger kick out of "Trick and Treat" or "Halloween Monster Night" costumes than original ones, simply because there will be more people who know the songs and the characters on sight. BUT I've seen original witch costumes for Rin and Miku that looked really nice (made in appropriate colors with appropriate accessories). It was obvious who they were just looking at them... and it was obvious they had put the same time and effort into their costumes everyone else had.

Generally speaking: cosplay isn't about being "original"... it's all about recreation. Most of the hobby is centered around reproducing designs, not creating them. Being original is ~okay~ (even awesome if you do it well), but I feel there's a lot more pressure to be accurate than original. People go to events to see their favorite characters and designs, not so much everyone's original ones

Last edited by kiratsukai : 04-10-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Unread 04-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #4579
AirVee
Failure at Cosplay...

Though it IS fun to make new outfits for them as fanart, cosplaying original outfits isn't very...fun I guess is the word. Though it's cool to be proud of an original design, Vocaloid cosplayers in America are recognized by song or default.
Alter!Saver (Prototype)
Enkidu (Strange Fake)

AX 2014
Lancer (Prototype)
Shirou Kotomine (Apocrypha)
Archer (Stay Night)
AirVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 12:14 AM   #4580
jianna
DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS

Original designs are really hard to pull off. There was a big group of "original design" Vocaloids in the Sakura-con masquerade this year, but they were all very cohesive with liberal use of EL-Wire, for showiness. They also didn't stray too far from the original designs of any of the Vocaloids either (and they had a Sonika, omg).

Here's some of them, not quite the whole group though, I don't think: http://www.acparadise.com/photograph...f7c3ace6e2.jpg

It's actually easier to closet cosplay from a specific design, in a way. I did clock lock works entirely from a thrift store, and I can also easily do Saihate using many of the same pieces (tie, skirt, socks). It's not flashy or fancy or anything, but it is recognizable to people who know the video.

I guess it can still look lazy to people who don't know the video, but it's so nice when people do recognize it (only happened once for me in my Clock Lock Works, haha. Oh well).

Now on DeviantArt!
jianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #4581
AirVee
Failure at Cosplay...

I LOVE that group. D: That's freaking amazing!
Alter!Saver (Prototype)
Enkidu (Strange Fake)

AX 2014
Lancer (Prototype)
Archer (Stay Night)
Unread 04-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #4582
meteorie
Crisis Make Up

Hi everyone ^^; um, can anyone tell me where this Snow Miku design comes from? Was it only made for this figure? Have you ever seen anyone cosplaying it? I kind of am in love this design, but I'm not well versed in Vocaloid. I'm considering cosplaying it anyway, but I would like more information first. I hope no one hates me for this..
Unread 04-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #4583
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorie View Post
Hi everyone ^^; um, can anyone tell me where this Snow Miku design comes from? Was it only made for this figure? Have you ever seen anyone cosplaying it? I kind of am in love this design, but I'm not well versed in Vocaloid. I'm considering cosplaying it anyway, but I would like more information first. I hope no one hates me for this..
It's from a snow sculpture designed/sponsored by Crypton at the Hokkaido Snow Festival this year. There was also a limited edition puchi-nendroid figure (the pic you posted) that was packaged with a cd called "Snow Songs" to promote the event.

Unread 04-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #4584
AirVee
Failure at Cosplay...

I found a picture of a very good cosplay of the "Yuki" Miku but I can't find the link
Alter!Saver (Prototype)
Enkidu (Strange Fake)

AX 2014
Lancer (Prototype)
Archer (Stay Night)
Unread 04-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #4585
Franquita
Pokémon Master

The "Yuki" Miku is adorable! I wonder, how would you do the snowflakes painted on her hair? Maybe they would be made into hair clips or something?

I found a photo of the back of Yuki Miku here, in case you hadn't seen it yet: http://amazingtoyfigures.com/wp-cont...vocaloid-4.jpg

Also, if you did get the white wig for this version of Miku... you could also use it for the white P-Style outfit from Project Diva! http://www.notcliche.com/universalst...VA_Info3_9.jpg
Franquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #4586
meteorie
Crisis Make Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirVee View Post
I found a picture of a very good cosplay of the "Yuki" Miku but I can't find the link
Please let me know when you do! I looked and couldn't find this anywhere.

Quote:
The "Yuki" Miku is adorable! I wonder, how would you do the snowflakes painted on her hair? Maybe they would be made into hair clips or something?
I like this idea! I think it would be really pretty to have some smaller snowflake hairclips in her hair, but is that too inaccurate? I can't imagine drawing/spraying them on would work, her hair is too flowy..

And thanks for the P-Style suggestion! I like that outfit and I love white hair, so I might actually do that.
Unread 04-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #4587
kiratsukai
culture shocked

COS-MORE has a cheap satiny costume up, but it works as a basic reference: http://moonright28.cart.fc2.com/ca402/128/p-r402-s/

Everything COS-MORE makes is cheap and satiny/velvet-y/felty... but it's the prettiest stuff made from cheap-ass cloth ever. Such a weird dichtomy :P

The wig should probably be gradiant dyed/wefted at the ends for the blue pieces. Snowflakes would have to be clipped in or painted on to a hard-styled wig. There's no way to dye long hair quite so precisely.

Unread 04-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #4588
DecoCherii

Fabric Dilemma

Hey guys~
Been lurking for awhile and trying to find an answer to my question without having to ask it buuuut...that hasn't happened.

So my dilemma/question:
I am planning on cosplaying Luka's default at Otakon in a few months but I'm going to be very busy till then so I wanted to start on her fairly early. My dilemma is what fabric to use. When I think of Luka I think leather/pleather/maybe even vinyl. Though from the descriptions the artist has given for her it seems her clothes should be made out of a more flowy fabric? I'm just not sure what to do at all. @.@

So yeah...any input would be AMAZING. Thanks everyone! ^^

Last edited by DecoCherii : 04-15-2010 at 10:38 PM.
DecoCherii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #4589
meteorie
Crisis Make Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
COS-MORE has a cheap satiny costume up, but it works as a basic reference: http://moonright28.cart.fc2.com/ca402/128/p-r402-s/

Wow. I can't believe someone has a premade costume for something I have NEVER seen anyone cosplaying. Lol.
Thanks so much, you are all really helpful!
Unread 04-16-2010, 02:28 AM   #4590
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorie View Post
Wow. I can't believe someone has a premade costume for something I have NEVER seen anyone cosplaying. Lol.
Thanks so much, you are all really helpful!
Cosplay is big business in Asia. Chances are, if anyone's ever thought of doing it ~ someone's made a premade costume to try and get some money out of them :3

Check out Trymax ~ It's the epitomy of quanitity over quality :P

http://www.trymax1.com/

Not a single costume on the site is accurate or passionately-made... but they're very nearly all there... with 15-20 added every week.

COS-MORE actually does very good work and manages to make some pretty crap fabrics look like a gazillion bucks more times than not :3 (Also out of China).

Japanese-made costs more and takes longer to surface... but there's still quite a lot in the way of selection compared to the West.

VOCALOID is currently the #1 most-cosplayed series in Japan. So it's pretty easy to find a wide selection of costume variations Especially for Miku. There will be more Snow Mikus along shortly :3