Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > J-Rock/J-Pop > Vocaloid

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 469 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 05-03-2010, 03:01 AM   #4666
ladyxzeus
Mrs. Lady Gackt Camui

New con is approaching and I need a bit of counseling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyxzeus View Post
4. For make up this time I will invest some time and money, but I still don't want to be that "milky white" everyone is. Because I want to be a bit truer to the person that is inside the character and she just does not seem to have the personality that puts fake lashes and has more than the basic. Could someone redirect me to where I can learn a perfect make up that still looks basic? I don't wear make up in daily life, so it's a challenge for me.
This con will have a make-up service for cosplayers. Since I can't put make-up on myself due to lack of train and talent, I am going to use it. How the hell do I explain what I want with my Meiko's make-up? I am not sure I could get it across even here, much less with people that probably put the same make-up on everyone and let them go. I was thinking of something as: concealer, lipstick (no gloss), correct my baggy eyes magically and just a bit of mascara to make my eyes "longer". Is this good? Please tell me, I understand near nothing about make-up!

Quote:
5. Thinking of getting a real mic. Good idea or should I remake my fake mic?
This. What do I do? I bought the material to remake the mic anyway, but I'm a bit out of time. Sleeping is for the weak, though... What do I do?

I am aware that Meiko is not the most famous or loved Vocaloid, much less her regular clothes - copied from that horrible satanic thing they take for a box design. But she is so far my favourite character to cosplay. As soon as I get my mic decent and good make-up I'll be happy forever with her and then I'll just have to dry my fountain of skits about her.

Waratte oemashou sore ha chiisana na inori
ladyxzeus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #4667
namichan13
Nami

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
Miku and Luka originated the song and Yunomi authored the original design... so in that case (and in the case of Len and Rin's white designs, also a Yunomi original) ~ the magnet design is really quite set in stone. If you divert too much from the original design, people will notice.

Most of the many reinterpretations are either closet cosplays with any old black dress or sweatshop costume makers being lazy with references. A few older cosplays may also have been made when there was only a waist-up bust shot reference available.

There is a ton of variation for all of the other characters though ~ since most versions for other characters are spin-offs attatched to head/bust shots only You really have no choice but to make it up the waist-down or choose a random fanartist to make it up from the waist-down for you ^^

original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_eE2TP_5hQ
full-body:
http://www.cospa.com/detail/id/00000033095

Variations:
http://piapro.jp/content/ykjh18dxermgjit0
http://piapro.jp/content/9utskvkbpw0lu184
http://piapro.jp/content/bo8ysi75h2l5myh9
http://piapro.jp/content/py4r8htrhvhicsog
http://piapro.jp/content/83x7l36nzzzkr5z2
http://piapro.jp/content/7g2g1esf2c85m45j

If you're going to play ~ keep it to small things like the footwear (no official design), ribbon design, glove length/cut, acessories and tights

Magnets with just any black dress, no waist-ribbons, straight wigs or lazy headphones really kill the look T.T
lol i actually didn't find the full body shot till right after I posted XD. Thank you very much, I REALLY wanted to do the actual one and wasn't sure if I'd find more then the waist down, thanks again
Unread 05-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #4668
gogotulip

I'm going to cosplay AF-A2 kaihatsu code miki. and i was researching her costume all day, and I can't seem to figure out the back side of her dress.

Im wondering if her fuzzy thing on her shoulder is a hood or something, and the dress is like a halter top(the upper back is showing)??! or if the back side is covered and the fuzzy shoulder thing is just connected around her shoulder to the back.
sorry for my horrible explaining....i hope someone knows or has a good reference image of it, >< ..when i was looking for reference images, i saw both possibilities and made me more confused than ever...please help! D: thank you.
gogotulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #4669
coslenses
Banned

gogotulip >> in my opinion, the reason why you saw both possibilities was because some fan art pictures do not concur in details with each other, hence the contradiction.

You might want to check out this website: http://kyourankyodai.com/2009/12/05/...-ahsofts-miki/ which has videos of miki as well.

Kirana and loveloveclock have also done photoshoots of miki, you may wish to check them out ^.^
coslenses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #4670
ladyxzeus
Mrs. Lady Gackt Camui

I'm remaking the mic.

I kind of want to cut my wrists right now due to it, but I'll survive somehow.

Unread 05-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #4671
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Question time:

I need an opinion ~

shortshiek and I are doing the military-style Eager Love Revenge Rin and Len. When we started, there were no official images. Now there are (luckily, I guessed right about Len's design and the Rin costume hasn't yet been made, so we can adjust it accordingly).

The trouble:

HATE HATE HATE Rin's white ribbon with the black and yellow. Makes no sense to me, visually.
We had been planning on using schoolboy style military hats for lower-ranking officers with yellow trim and supercell/love is war symbols on the front where the pins usually go in san-rubber.

Something like this:
http://handa-boushi.com/gakuseibouka...akuseibou.html

Too much? Will they be able to tell Rin and Len apart in identical outfits with hats and without Rin's ribbon?

Just Len in a hat and Rin in a black ribbon?

White ribbon and black headphones like the official ref?

The official design (can't find the supercell one... so these are fanart using their design):
http://piapro.jp/content/hn14yw86jp5strq2
http://piapro.jp/content/y81bhi5qoz9sj0x4

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 05-05-2010 at 05:52 PM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #4672
Maneki_Neko14
バナナ

@Kiratsukai: personally I'd go with the black ribbon and military hat, it looks better with the oufit then the official art =/
Planned: Legolas Greenleaf|Aragorn|Claude Faustus|JBF Boy|Shizuo Heiwajima

Finished|WIP|Not Started

plans will probably change C:
Current Fandom = Lord of the Rings

Stalk Me?
dA|FB|Cure|YT|Twitt.
Maneki_Neko14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 12:43 AM   #4673
saimon
Like a boss!

So...I discovered this version of Kagamine Rin: http://www.hlj.com/product/MAX04121 and oh man do I wanna cosplay it now.
I especially want that bass...such a cool design.

I can just feel my sanity seeping out of me when trying to imagine what I'd have to go through to make this cosplay.
Doesn't help that I'm still such a noob at sewing and prop making and wig styling.
-_-;

Still want to cosplay this outfit so bad. It's on my dream list.

Anyone else thought of doing this outfit?
Any ideas how you (or anyone) would go about making it?

YOUTUBE // TUMBLR // DEVIANTART
saimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 02:40 AM   #4674
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon View Post
Anyone else thought of doing this outfit?
Any ideas how you (or anyone) would go about making it?
It's a difficult costume. Definately not something for a beginner. If you want it to look right and haven't got much experience sewing, wig-styling or propmaking: you may need to wait a few years until you can pull this off or will need to pay for a premade costume and deal with makeshift (or no) props.

It's always sad to deliver bad news but... it's important to be realistic and not to end up wasting material or stressing yourself to death over something you aren't ready to handle. You'd be dealing with panelling, a petticoat, tons of trims, frills, lacing, high boots, a very complicated prop, and a a stubbed twintail wig (which will likely cost you $100 on its own).

Try "Meltdown" Rin instead. It's the same dress, with less frills and a simpler approach with much straighter lines. Making that will give you quite a few skills you'll need later to make this: long gloves, long boots, a choker and the black and white panelling.

I couldn't handle the remix version. I could probably make the default Meltdown dress (and have a student who is making it now for her cosplay debut).

Last edited by kiratsukai : 05-06-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Unread 05-06-2010, 04:12 AM   #4675
gogotulip

@coslenses
Thank you soo much for helping
gogotulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #4676
ladyxzeus
Mrs. Lady Gackt Camui

@Kiratsukai
You know well that "official" in the vocaloid world does not mean much. I think the ribbon makes much sense, though. Because it's to counter the "skin" - the chromatics of the design match very well because of that. If you really want to use the hats I'd say... Hat and ribbon. For example, put the hat on the side of the head and make the ribbon smaller and more "discrete". I believe the essential here is to keep with the organization of colours (white, yellow, white, black, yellow, white, yellow, black, etc.) and the black hat could potentially make it weird due to the stability of the theme.

Not sure if I wrote this clearly, I hope you get what I mean.......

Unread 05-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #4677
saimon
Like a boss!

@kirastsukai: Thanks for the advice!
I already figured I'd have to wait a while to make this outfit.
My cosplay list for the next couple of years is full anyway.

I look forward to the day when I gain enough skills to tackle and difficult costume like this one.
^O^

YOUTUBE // TUMBLR // DEVIANTART
saimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #4678
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Quote:
I think the ribbon makes much sense, though. Because it's to counter the "skin" - the chromatics of the design match very well because of that.
That would be true if real human beings were as porcelain white as character designs.

We aren't. So in effect- the only bit of white on either of our costumes will be on Rin's head.

Unread 05-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #4679
ladyxzeus
Mrs. Lady Gackt Camui

Rice powder power tataaaaaaa *_____*

Idk, I think KwS would be awesome if you guys really went for the chrome look. Think about it Not only it's very unique but has great picture potential.

Of course that a full white would be awkward, but a full "pale" would be awesome. The white ribbon could be altered into a dirty white. I still think you should not exclude the ribbon. It's a very characteristic element.

Unread 05-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #4680
jianna
DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS

I think a black ribbon is the best bet. It's still a marker for Rin, but stays in the color scheme. It's sort of an angry dark design anyway, so I can see why the white comes off as weird, even though I personally don't mind it.

Now on DeviantArt!
jianna is offline   Reply With Quote