Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Introductions

Unread 09-17-2002, 10:06 AM   #1
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Gretting all new otaku in ny/nj area...now p33r that which is Otaku-con!

Well after announcing Otaku-con last week to the otaku masses, there's been a speady lines of responses and questions...the NYO!, the good folk that they are, have offered to help me run this thing (gives 100 point badges to Adam and Anna), plentiful questions have been brought to me from cosplay.com and as for the Eastcoast anime convention attenteders and Animenation forums...well i know ppl are reading this thing, so huzzah I guess...anywho, ppl have been asking me "CHris, are you insane?!?"...I think we all know the answer to that one...and of course, "What do you have planned for this wannabe con?" We're here's your answer slappy, p33r that which is the Otaku-Con 2k2 schedule!!!!!!

What: Otaku-con 2k2
Where: Manhattan
When, Saturday, November 30th,2002 (just incase the 2k2 threw ya off)
Place of mass gathering: Penn Station, Manhattan New York, 32 and Broadway, indoors outside the Mcdonalds from 12-1 pm
What we'll be doing:
After the masses have benn gathered, the whole flock of us will decide which "Exotic" loaction in Manhattan we'll hit up first...here's your choices people!!!

1)The 28-32nd street Area:
Jim Hanely's Universe: The best damn comic shop in town, which will serve to both your anime/manga and comic book needs.

Image Anime: One of the few anime only stores in the city outside of
Chinatown, this store has a plentiful selection fo anime stuffs, imported and domesticated...the prices are kinda steep though, and the store is small, so we'll have to go in there in groups ><*

2)Time Square:
The Pokemon Center: Yeah I can hear the whole lot of ya moaning already, but if there's a demand to visit this place, we'll go....note, demand mean half or more of the group.

Book Off: Authenitc Japanese Manga dirt cheap!

Kim..Kim...ah screw it, other japanese book store!: This place is more expensive than Book Off, but a lot more in selection,plus they have art books, and other neat stuff ^^

Toy's R Us: Yeah I know, anime's not exactly the first thing
ya think of when u think TRU, but they have seperate Gundam, Hamtaro and other bastardise dubbed anime toys here, so why the hell not right?

Bar Code/Broadway City: Two of the best bar/arcades in town...but a tad steep in prices though

3)St. Mark's place/14th street:
Besides plentiful eateries, St. Mark's has many a store that has absoluelty nothing to do with anime what-so-ever, but just cool to go to....but we'll deal with that when we're there....

Forbidden Planet: Not as cool as Hanley's but has more imported toys and cds for reasonable prices, so it's all good.

Toy Tokyo: The suff they have here is amazing, 'nuff said.

4) Chinatown: The mecca of all NYC otaku, C-town has it all. Fansub stores, an cheap and good arcade, a underground mall, weapons stores, we're definetly hitting this place during our gathering.

Well that's it for this week, if ya got any valid questions or suggestion, u can im on Aol/Aim @ Griever824, Hunt me down on yahoo @ Starwind824, or just respond to this wonderfully large post at your respected board.

Head of all which is Otaku-con, and hoper that it doesnt suck,

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2002, 09:49 PM   #2
Adella
MalonxLink 4 EVAR11

I hope you can pull this off ^^;;;
Unread 09-20-2002, 12:06 AM   #3
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Thanks for your blessings Ms. administrator-Aeris-lady, but things are moving along quite well, with ppl coming from nj-ny, philly and st. lous so, huzzah, go us!!! And thanks fro not exiling me for spamming this whole thing so much, lol ^/^;;;;;

And loved seeing Aerith alive and well in KH btw...^/^

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
Unread 09-20-2002, 02:20 AM   #4
pakachu420
Hurraaay Beer!!!!

wow i is impressed. getting a con together. me n my friends are still trying to get an anime club set up at our college.

have fun!!
many blessings on your project!!

pakachu420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2002, 10:23 PM   #5
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

lol i feel ur pain, my college lacks an anime club as well. And it's not a con per say, but a massive gathering of otaku in manhattan,lol. And thanks for the blessings ^/^

Unread 09-21-2002, 11:38 PM   #6
Maryssa
Dragon Queen
STAFF OF d00m

err, i dont get it, this is a con? or just a meeting up to go around manhattan? ive been to pretty much all the places you listed, is there anything else going on i'd wanna come out for?
Maryssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2002, 12:49 AM   #7
Keurblitz
My Gender: Female

um... why should I be binded by a set time and set locations? Why won't I just go with a bunch of friends to those places? It sounds like a good otaku get together... but...dun people wanna travel on their own pace and at their ease?
Unread 09-22-2002, 12:52 AM   #8
Ranma Saotome
DeShawn Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally posted by Maryssa
err, i dont get it, this is a con? or just a meeting up to go around manhattan? ive been to pretty much all the places you listed, is there anything else going on i'd wanna come out for?
More fun when you travel in packs.

Last time we did this and I was with them, we took over a damn subway car!
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/anime-jam-session/id280235645
Anime Jam Session on the VOG Network, LIVE! Tuesdays @ 9:30PM EST: www.VOGNetwork.com!
2014 Convention Schedule: Magfest 8.5, AAC, DerpyCon

Ranma Saotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2002, 01:13 AM   #9
Dragon Eyes

Travelling in packs will concern alot of people. They'll alert the the police ya know. Then you'll have a couple of police cars following you around and asking questions. Especially if you decide to hit those places mentioned above. So good luck pulling this off.
Unread 09-22-2002, 08:14 AM   #10
Ranma Saotome
DeShawn Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragon Eyes
Travelling in packs will concern alot of people. They'll alert the the police ya know. Then you'll have a couple of police cars following you around and asking questions. Especially if you decide to hit those places mentioned above. So good luck pulling this off.
Bah... We do this all the time, no worries.
Anime Jam Session on the VOG Network, LIVE! Tuesdays @ 9:30PM EST: www.VOGNetwork.com!

Unread 09-22-2002, 04:19 PM   #11
Maryssa
Dragon Queen
STAFF OF d00m

its also not always that easy to 'take over a whole subway car' unelss you go at really weird times of the day. i have a hard enough time finding room in the same car when i am with 4 or 5 people. you dont want people getting left behind or losing the group
Maryssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2002, 09:30 PM   #12
Ranma Saotome
DeShawn Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally posted by Maryssa
its also not always that easy to 'take over a whole subway car' unelss you go at really weird times of the day. i have a hard enough time finding room in the same car when i am with 4 or 5 people. you dont want people getting left behind or losing the group
Again...

Somethint we have done at ANY time of the day. Hell, we did that today!

Unread 09-23-2002, 09:06 AM   #13
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Yeah, we've taken over subway charts on a least several occausions (did i spell that right?) And if ppl are that concerned about what we're doing that they have to call the cops, let em, more publicity for me,lol.....sides like Senior Ranma said, we've done this for nearly over a year now, we sorta know what we're doing....note that I said sorta, there's time where we've been jumped by squadrons of ninjas, and of course there's the always present random battle factor, but we carry plentiful potions, so everything works out in the end ^/^