Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Unread 06-19-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
bubblefairy03
theatre guru

Disney Ariel gown, material help

I'm planning on making Ariel's gown from The Little Mermaid, but I'm not that certain of the material. I don't want to make it out of silk or anything shiny, cause I just don't think it looks like it should be shiny. (it's often hard to tell if a dress is suppose to be shiny or not with Disney though XD)
I was thinking Gabardine, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any suggestions? What do most of you make your gowns out of?
bubblefairy03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
gelflinggal
Braaains!!!

which Ariel gown exactly?
Unread 06-24-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
red-ink
Insane Stunt Fighter

Gelflingal has a good point. Different dresses would need different fabric. The black & blue dress could be great in gabardine, with a nice, heavy drill for the black corset, and lightweight bleached muslin shirt. The pink dress, on the other hand, might look gorgeous in crepe-backed satin (which isn't shiny, but has a nice luminosity on the matte side).
red-ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 02:33 AM   #4
Satine

You know gabardine can be made from silk too... Silk is a fibre, not a weave and can be very matt- gabardine is a weave and usually from wool though there are poly substitutes. In fact it's probably one of the better fibres to make many cosplay costume from because it is so versatile. it can be very crisp (dupioni, taffeta) or fluid (crepe georgette, charmeuse satin) and can be soft and snuggly (some suit weight garments). Many kimono are made of silk crepe and nothing else can really replicate that look.

So yes, what dress?

Don't go past wool for day dresses. A nice fulled wool can be heavy or light and really give that animated look by having no discernable weave and not being prone to too much creasing.
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 06:52 AM   #5
TR Rose
Meowing About

If you're talking about the pink gown, I've had good luck with casa satin for my princess dresses. It's pretty, soft, and has a nice drape to it.
• 10th Doctor
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
bubblefairy03
theatre guru

Sorry for not being clearer, I meant the pink one. I never really considered her blue dress a gown, so I never considered a mix up. XD Silly me!
I'll have to look into all those suggestions. It's so hard to find that pink-coral color in anything! X_x (at least in my area) But having good fabric suggestions will surely make tracking it down a little easier. =D
Unread 06-26-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
gelflinggal
Braaains!!!

oh! and if you want a heavier material than the casa satin try this:

Dull Bridal Satin

It's easy to work with, a medium heavy weight material, and its not as shiny as the traditional satins out there. Also the seller, Syfabrics, is great! The material I've gotten from them has always been wonderful and reasonably priced. Not to mention I get my package within 2 days of ordering (I live in SoCal)

Have fun this is a charming costume!
Unread 06-26-2008, 10:06 PM   #8
bubblefairy03
theatre guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelflinggal View Post
oh! and if you want a heavier material than the casa satin try this:

Dull Bridal Satin

It's easy to work with, a medium heavy weight material, and its not as shiny as the traditional satins out there. Also the seller, Syfabrics, is great! The material I've gotten from them has always been wonderful and reasonably priced. Not to mention I get my package within 2 days of ordering (I live in SoCal)

Have fun this is a charming costume!
Oh! What beautiful colors! Is the lamour satin the same as the dull bridal satin? Do you usually order a sample swatch before you buy, or do you just go by the picture?
Unread 06-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
gelflinggal
Braaains!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koromori View Post
Oh! What beautiful colors! Is the lamour satin the same as the dull bridal satin? Do you usually order a sample swatch before you buy, or do you just go by the picture?
one and the same

It would be best to purchase a swatch when you want to be really accurate, however, I didn't this last time and the yellow satin I got was perfect for the Snow White I'm making. Lucked out for sure. Rule of thumb- ALWAYS order swatches.

But with Ariel's dress I'd definately order swatches
Unread 06-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #10
bubblefairy03
theatre guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelflinggal View Post
one and the same

It would be best to purchase a swatch when you want to be really accurate, however, I didn't this last time and the yellow satin I got was perfect for the Snow White I'm making. Lucked out for sure. Rule of thumb- ALWAYS order swatches.

But with Ariel's dress I'd definately order swatches
Yeah, I guess swatches would be the best idea. There's one site I love because they give you 10 swatches right off the bat, free of charge including s&h. Then an additional 10 free swatches with each order you make. ^_^ Pretty awesome.
But $1 certainly isn't going to break me. lol. A swatch is the safest, smartest choice, I'll get to ordering it right away. Thank you sooooo much for you help! I really appreciate your imput and advice!
(and I hope you'll tell me when you have those Snow White pics up!)
Unread 07-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #11
gelflinggal
Braaains!!!

oh you're welcome!

I'll definately drop you a line once the Snow White is done

good luck with Ariel....pretty dress to make