Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 04-23-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
cube

Unhappy my parents don't understand crossplay

It was night and I was almost done with my costume. My parents told me it's time to turn off that sewing machine. Okay fair enough it's late and people have to go to work tomorrow. I tried on my costume to see how it looks and my parents *not at all pleased* , "You do know that in some parts of this country people get shot for wearing something like that!".

me: It's called crossplay and there's other people who do it also.

parents: That's disgusting and hanging around sick people doesn't make you normal. Why can't you be like your sister and put your time into something more meaningful. You do know she's now been promoted to a project manager and has passed her *pm?* test.

me: Hey I have a decent job and I pay my taxes so that makes me a productive citizen As long as I "pull my own weight" what I do in my free time should not be an issue.

parents: your free time would be better spent doing something that could help your career. If not that then at least a normal hobby.

me: you sound like such typical asian parents

parents: that's because we are. and one other thing if you want to get dressed up for a convention do it there and not here. I don't want the neighbors to see you like this. They'll think we're all weird. You look absolutely ridiculous. If you keep this up you're going to get messed up in the head.

Unread 04-23-2003, 02:11 PM   #2
kris

^-^; my parents dont think normal cosplay is normal. But since I am the only son, I am tolerate-- as long as I use a fake name and NEVER tell my family name at a event ^-^;;;;;; And my dad said: "Please never wear a dress."

I dont think I would any way but, I comply to his request ^-^; My poor father is allready stress.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2003, 02:24 PM   #3
khamryn
SE Addict

o.O;

Eep.. ::Offers a hug.:: I wish there were more parents like mine.. they -help- me make my costumes (all of which are crossplay)
khamryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2003, 03:30 PM   #4
cube

Quote:
Originally posted by kris
^-^; my parents dont think normal cosplay is normal. But since I am the only son, I am tolerate-- as long as I use a fake name and NEVER tell my family name at a event ^-^;;;;;; And my dad said: "Please never wear a dress."

I dont think I would any way but, I comply to his request ^-^; My poor father is allready stress.
wow not even normal cosplay? I guess my plight doesn't seem so rough now. As for using the family name I use my real name on convention badges.

And no my parents would never help me make my own costumes. they can barely stand watching me make'em myself. And besides I can sew better then them
Unread 04-23-2003, 03:47 PM   #5
Menchi
Tee hee <3

atleast i am not the only one with weird parents...my mother once said to me "no son of mine is going to wear womens clothes..." an seemed rahter serious about it. i know my granma woudl totally disown me for my costumes too. so what if i think it is amusing to dress like a girl, wear make up, an so on. like you said cube..what you do on your own time shuldnt be an issue. but my family doesnt seem to think that way...my dad woudl give me a "man to man talk" about the fact i wear dresses an rather short ones at that in public but i am old enough to make my own decisions an they should jus accept the fact that i dont wanna be jus like everyone else. but for now they dont know an i wanna keep it that way...till they can accept the fact i woudl do such a "weird thing" *shrugs*
Menchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2003, 03:55 PM   #6
khamryn
SE Addict

cube- XD ^^

c.c;

on the subject of grandparents if my grandma ever knew she would have a heart attack and disown me. ::laugh:: ^_^;;;;;
Unread 04-23-2003, 04:21 PM   #7
domestik
pudding king

M'mum's main problem with the entire thing is... well... money. o_O; We're not exactly financially booming or stable so she gets worried quite a bit, since it IS an expensive hobby. ^^;

Another minor problem she has with cosplaying in general is: what's the point in it??

The whole issue of crossplay and cosplay hasn't bugged her. Even when I run around the house in full makeup and half-dressed in my costumes. She just stares at me for a bit and then goes on with her business, or she ignores it entirely and considers it normal insane behavior for me. o_O

I guess I'm rather lucky that she only complains about me going away for short periods of time and not having enough money... and is willing to help me or have my aunt help me whenever I have to make stuff. ^^; She even suggested I go into fashion design because I seem so into the whole costume and clothes making....

Yanno... if I started doing commissions maybe she won't mind as much since I'll be making money and developing designing and sewing skills. @_@

M'mum is a strange blend of a typical/untypical Asian parent.
Unread 04-23-2003, 05:40 PM   #8
Lainish Kuma
Panty Ninja

^^;; My grandma helps me make patterns.

XD
Lainish Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2003, 05:51 PM   #9
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by khamryn
o.O;

Eep.. ::Offers a hug.:: I wish there were more parents like mine.. they -help- me make my costumes (all of which are crossplay)
*HUGS* too.....

I wish more parents were like ME. I crossplay, my daughters crossplay, my husband does not, but he puts up with us, LOL...

My mom never had any trouble with my costuming when I was growing up (I didn't do crossplay back then), and now that I'm actually "grown up" (hah!) and out on my own and married with kids (like a nice, dutiful daughter), she just shrugs her shoulders at the crossplay... (I think she's reassured by us being so conventional and boring IRL, so Big Deal what we do for cons...)
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2003, 07:55 PM   #10
megumibish
I should be drawing Yaoi.

My mom is soo understanding of me. I told her recently I wanna crossplay as Sesshomaru and she's like whatever. Doesn't seem to bother her in the slightest. Added thing is she doesn't even mind that I'm a yaoi comic artist either. My group has been together forever and she's cool and even reads some of my stuff. Lol, I'm lucky. That and she totally knows I'm a fashion wh*re and puts up with me. When I think about it I love her more. ^_^ Dad says this, "Do whatever floats your boat." But he is a bit cautious about my spending. Typical asian dad thing, as said before...heh but I'm only half asian. =P
megumibish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2003, 11:39 PM   #11
khamryn
SE Addict

Karisu- XD Yeah... you rock. ^_^ ::Grins.::
Unread 04-24-2003, 05:58 AM   #12
Miroku
To the Golden Land!

Quote:
It was night and I was almost done with my costume. My parents told me it's time to turn off that sewing machine. Okay fair enough it's late and people have to go to work tomorrow. I tried on my costume to see how it looks and my parents *not at all pleased* , "You do know that in some parts of this country people get shot for wearing something like that!".
Hmm, I think I would have avoided them if I was going to be doing something like that. I try to avoid my parents with costumes in general. Not because of the costume itself, but because I know it would take me thirty minutes of questions to explain what cosplay is, and then what anime is, and why dressing up as a "cartoon character" is fun...etc.
Miroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2003, 08:54 AM   #13
digikoomi

My parents don't like me to do cosplay either, but if I don't over done it they are OK with me.
digikoomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2003, 09:47 AM   #14
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

My mom is okay with my crossplay and other females. She just finds guys crossplaying weird. And any pics that my grandmother sees have had male crossplayers or skimpy outfit shots removed on recommendation of my mom.
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2003, 11:11 AM   #15
Menchi
Tee hee <3

its kinda annoying how old stereotypes die hard...my granma always labels the ppl (girls dressing as girls/guys an guys as guys/girls) as a "bunch of queers, an weirdos" it jus makes me glad i wasnt born a long time ago. with such generalizations like that from her i spend most my time away from her...even a plushy isnt able to dodge her comments. she feels i "could be puttin my enerygy to better things". as is its better she doesnt know i like to go as female chars...b.c woooo she would dis-own me so fast!