Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Closed Thread
Unread 09-17-2002, 05:14 PM   #16
Ranma Saotome
DeShawn Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally posted by Nietsche
All costumes are fair game be they overdone or not...
I mean I simply can't get enough of the Ranmas (girl and boy type), Kenshins, Sanosukes, Deedlits (by the way I actually like Deedlit) and Morrigans running around conventions! (That's just naming a few off the top of my head)

As to what has not been seen much of- Patlabor uniforms are quite easy...I i'd like to see the whole set of Gung Ho Guns just once at a convention...
One of my cosplayers did Patlabor at AXNY. Some cons, thre are too many Ramnas, expecially when they don't get it right. I could shoot half of the Ranma cosplayers that have black frogties, not yellow!
Anime Jam Session Episode #128 is now up for download: www.animejamsession.com
RSS Feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/AnimeJamSession
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/anime-jam-session/id280235645
Anime Jam Session on the VOG Network, LIVE! Tuesdays @ 9:30PM EST: www.VOGNetwork.com!
2013 Convention Schedule: Nauticons, AWA?, AAC

Unread 09-17-2002, 05:26 PM   #17
Jibrille
Pirate for Life

**NOTE: Its ramble day here at college**

>If you go through each convention, you can pretty much find one dominating costume from each... like Otakon 2001's abundance of Vash/Wolfwoods.

yeah, that was really weird, i thought i was just seeing things or something ^^; lol
our prediction is that Hellsing will be the next Trigun in the cosplay world...^^ anyway...

yeah, its not necessarily a bad thing to have them in excess but sometimes its like "woah thats a lot of yunas" kind of thing. its just overwhelming at times.

(the following is the important paragraph of the post) lol
*steps on soap box*
I am a firm believer in making a costume cause you like it or love it and you want to make it (yes that was directed at you b-chan *wink*) not because someone else or the world is making it/already has.
*steps off cosplay soap box*

sometimes though it ends up depressing the cosplayers. there was one person we saw at katsucon as yuna and saw another yuna and got so sad....
and then arisuchan wore her like perfect yuna to otakon (with a perky obi this time i might add ^^ lol) and she had her picture taken once.
though on the other side of that coin are the people in the same costume that get together, laugh, and take a group picture. (like there is that pic of about 4 or 5 female lulus)

yeah, sometimes it feels to be good to be one of the first to be in a costume.
like it makes me happy i was one of the original Ritsukos out there, yaknow? its just an extra neat feeling. its like a cosplay fun bonus to be one of the first, its just a good feeling.
being a trend setter! j/k LOL
and yaknow what, i STILL wear my Ritsuko cause i love it and dont care if there are 6 others at any given con. ^^

i need drugs.... or something

remember kids, drugs are bad...

O.o

Last edited by Jibrille : 09-17-2002 at 05:43 PM.
Unread 09-17-2002, 05:30 PM   #18
Sami
» star*stealing girl

I actually haven't seen very many Duo's at all.. or much GWing cosplay, really. Off the top of my head I've seen one Treize, one Zechs, and a few Lady Unes.. but that's about all. ;_; Go go GWing!

As for overdone.. XD *rubs hands together*

- The entire cast of FFX. x_x Mainly Yuna, Tidus, Lulu, and Rikku.
- Vash and Wolfwood. Otakon 2k1 was my first con, and I was just bowled over at how many of them there were.. ^^;
- Digi Charat, mostly Dejiko.
- Weiss boys, yeah.
- Rinoa. x_x *does not like Rinoa to start with..*
- I actually saw a lot of Hellsing at Otakon this year..
- Spike and Faye.. x_x I've seen so many Fayes..

But hey, if you like a character and their costume, go for it. ^_^ Personally I wouldn't be a Yuna or a Lulu because I'd just be one more in a sea of people cosplaying the same thing as me.. it's cool to see other people cosplaying as the same character as you, but if you see five more at every turn, it would drive me batty.

sen - ti - ment - has - got - me - feelin'!
Unread 09-17-2002, 05:35 PM   #19
Ranma Saotome
DeShawn Pilgrim

Jibrelle, you make a valid point. I'm just saying from my POV it's simply that some cosplays are over done and half of them cosplayers do it because it's the 'in' anime or game at the time.
Anime Jam Session Episode #128 is now up for download: www.animejamsession.com
RSS Feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/AnimeJamSession
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/anime-jam-session/id280235645
Anime Jam Session on the VOG Network, LIVE! Tuesdays @ 9:30PM EST: www.VOGNetwork.com!
2013 Convention Schedule: Nauticons, AWA?, AAC

Unread 09-17-2002, 05:38 PM   #20
Jibrille
Pirate for Life

yeah, dont mind me, i just took a thought and ran with it. ^^; lol

the soapbox part happened mainly cause its almost a sore subject within my group. ^^;;;

wow, i cant believe i forgot to ramble about people that cosplay a character cause its the 'in' anime thing... oh well... i'll save that for another time. hahahahaha

*smacks forhead* i have issues... days like this i shouldnt be allowed on the computer. lol ><

Last edited by Jibrille : 09-17-2002 at 05:41 PM.
Unread 09-17-2002, 05:41 PM   #21
Yuna
Nessa
A frakin' Mod

You guys have to keep in mind that FFX just came out and of course there's going ot an onslaught of people cosplaying it.
Unread 09-17-2002, 05:47 PM   #22
sailor-moon
Resident Moon Princess

^.^

we need some sexy nuriko cosplayers::::::runs and hides::::

usagi

http://www.itsumademo.net/_misc/kagome.jpg
Unread 09-17-2002, 06:00 PM   #23
KuroBara
dog of the military

*claps for Jibrille*

I agree with making a costume because you like it, not because it's trendy. I don't think the rarity of a costume figures into how good it is. If you want to dress up like Sailor Moon, then dress up like Sailor Moon! Wave to the ten other ones you'll see there, and take a group photo.

That being said ~ Otakon 2001 did feel like planet gunsmoke...
Unread 09-17-2002, 06:04 PM   #24
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally posted by Nietsche

As to what has not been seen much of- Patlabor uniforms are quite easy...I i'd like to see the whole set of Gung Ho Guns just once at a convention...
Hmm. I'm planning to have Dominique for next summer's con season. Maybe I should see if I can get some more together....

While I've seen a fair number of Tiduses this year, I do have to say that is NOT an easy costume to throw together... there's a *lot* of detail in that outfit. Still, I'm in the "do it cause you like it" camp. I'd rather see one really well-made costume with a lot of detail and love from the "overdone" list than a dozen rarer but poorly done costumes.

Last edited by Koumori : 09-17-2002 at 06:06 PM.
Unread 09-17-2002, 06:13 PM   #25
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

So far all I've done was lesser done cosplays. I like to be originalish ^_^ Kaze, Seifer, Rufus... I've only seen one Kaze, two Seifers... and I don't recall Rufus being done. Heheh.

And... OMG! KH COMMERCIAL JUST CAME ON! EYAARRGH!
..er, heheh... my bad... I don't watch much TV...
Unread 09-17-2002, 06:14 PM   #26
Chosuke
Le Chevalier

The main costumes I see around now while looking at just con pics:

YUNA
Lulu
Rinoa <Blarg.>
Sailor scouts/sailor moon
Phantasy star
Squall

I have really no problem whatsoever with costumes being done over and over again,but it seem's that when you do see one of these popular outfits they are usually just looking like they were slapped together,or overall poorly done.
I'm not meaning to be insulting,but a multitude of the Tidus' Rinoa and Yuna costumes I see look like they were done with little or no thought.

Cho's Wig Commissions - Click here for information, examples and a free quote!
Unread 09-17-2002, 06:32 PM   #27
Lillyxandra
Cosplay 4 life YO!

Yea Id have to say FFX is very popular for cosplayers right now. I foresee a lot of cosplay of: Chobits, Hellsing, FF online, and Gun Grave.^_____^The more the merrier!
Unread 09-17-2002, 07:00 PM   #28
Chosuke
Le Chevalier

Well,all the Chobits costumes I have seen tend to be very beautiful and well done o.o;;..have yet to see a bad Chii,so I don't mind.

Haven't seen any hellsing though,cept one.

Cho's Wig Commissions - Click here for information, examples and a free quote!
Unread 09-17-2002, 07:05 PM   #29
scandia
Overachiever

Forgot to say that I have seen WAY too much DiGi Charat cosplay. Not so much of Dejiko, more of Puchiko, and WAY too much of La Vie en Rose.
Unread 09-17-2002, 07:22 PM   #30
isami
Mid or Feed

Yeah, I feel like there's a giant FFX overload, but it comes with the territory. I agree with Yuna. It just came out, so...
I do think that people should cosplay what they want, though. I'm doing Lina.. no one does her anymore, but there was a time when there was a slayers overload I think. I guess it kinda goes up and down. Reflects on society! Or not... Wee.

Kiwi Zing
Otakudom Rules
------------------------
Upcoming Cons
AB ? || A-Next || Otakon || M-Next

Live Journal \\ Deviant Art

Closed Thread