Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 106 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #16
Midnight_Toker

thanks =]
do you think strawberry blonde and golden blonde will be light enough to turn fully green? or should i give up on highlights and get platinum blonde?

Ohayocon (2008) Munchlax 20%
Snorlax 28%
Carnavine 15%
Midnight_Toker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #17
Miss Miri
Human Pincushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Toker View Post
thanks =]
do you think strawberry blonde and golden blonde will be light enough to turn fully green? or should i give up on highlights and get platinum blonde?
What color of green do you need the base green to be? If it's a darker, more "primary" green, then you could "highlight" it using a lime green Sharpie to color some of the top pieces. However, that would pretty much mean you'd have to color the whole thing by hand, I think.

Whether that's the case or not, the darker the base color of the wig, the dingier the dyejob will look, so if you want a nice clear green, go with platinum or white.

{Speaking exclusively secondhand, if anyone who's actually done this wants to speak up, please feel free!}
Cornelia Li Britannia - Code Geass
Miss Miri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #18
chisainekocat
Harr0

I've dyed a platinum/strawberry blonde mix with marigold sharpies and it turned it into a golden blonde with darker brown/blonde highlights. You should get something similar with the green.

My old cosplay group: JAC Productions (with Paro Paro Inc friends) jac-productions.com/
chisainekocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2008, 09:23 PM   #19
Midnight_Toker

the color green it ends up isnt really an issue, it's a custom costume. the reason id want the highlights is because i think it would give it a more natural feel, rather than a flat, solid color.

im going to use the spray bottle for convenience. if it isnt dark enough or the right color, would i just be able to give it another coat and see how that works?

Ohayocon (2008) Munchlax 20%
Snorlax 28%
Carnavine 15%
Midnight_Toker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #20
Hydraskylar
...promise...

I have a strawberry blonde wig and want to dye it into light brown. Using brown Sharpie alone didn't work, it was really dark though was greatly diluted. Has anyone ever tried mixing brown and marigold? Would that give me a light brown color?
Hydraskylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #21
lestats_violin
not jailbait

I need to colour the ends of spikes on a wig black. I'm worried because I'll have to hand sharpie it after I style it. My outfit is white and I'm afraid the ink will rub off since I can't really rinse....
Any ideas?
Unread 07-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #22
NintyGirl
freak

Thanks for this, now if only any nearby stores had brown sharpies in stock, I wouldn't have a problem. ^-^;
NintyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #23
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestats_violin View Post
I need to colour the ends of spikes on a wig black. I'm worried because I'll have to hand sharpie it after I style it. My outfit is white and I'm afraid the ink will rub off since I can't really rinse....
Any ideas?
You really shouldn't dye a wig after it's been styled. The product would be coating the wig fibers, so technically you'd be coloring the product and not dyeing the wig. I'd highly recommend dyeing the tips first and styling last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narravy View Post
I have a strawberry blonde wig and want to dye it into light brown. Using brown Sharpie alone didn't work, it was really dark though was greatly diluted. Has anyone ever tried mixing brown and marigold? Would that give me a light brown color?
I'm actually working on lightening a brown mixture for a wig of my own, and I will get back to you here when I see what I can do to lighten the brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Toker View Post
the color green it ends up isnt really an issue, it's a custom costume. the reason id want the highlights is because i think it would give it a more natural feel, rather than a flat, solid color.

im going to use the spray bottle for convenience. if it isnt dark enough or the right color, would i just be able to give it another coat and see how that works?

If the color you want is too dark, you can rinse the wig clean with alcohol and redye it, if the color is too light, you can try doing another coat to darken it, or rinse it clean and start over.
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2008, 02:02 AM   #24
Devi 1313
Good girls gather

Out of curiosity which kind of spray bottles do you folks recommend?
Big super soaker kind? http://www.jwodcatalog.com/imgLg/8125004887952.jpg
Or the little misty kind? http://img.alibaba.com/photo/51260499/Spray_Bottle.jpg
Devi 1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #25
lestats_violin
not jailbait

Thanks! That's what I thought but the black part is a weird shape :/
Unread 07-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #26
StarBlaze73

Thanks for writing this! It's a big help!

I'm a little unclear about one thing, though. For Otakon this year, I'm doing Mimi Tachikawa from Digimon, Season 2: http://digipedia.db-destiny.net/encyc/images/mimi2.jpg

I have the pink wig, now I want to do the red highlights. Do I get the alcohol, the red sharpie, MIX them together, and paint them on the wig? Or rub the alcohol on certain strips of the wig and then hand-color in the highlights with the sharpie?
StarBlaze73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #27
Devi 1313
Good girls gather

If you're going to hand color the wig with the sharpie then you don't need the alcohol.
Unread 07-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #28
chisainekocat
Harr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi 1313 View Post
Out of curiosity which kind of spray bottles do you folks recommend?
Big super soaker kind? http://www.jwodcatalog.com/imgLg/8125004887952.jpg
Or the little misty kind? http://img.alibaba.com/photo/51260499/Spray_Bottle.jpg
Definitely super-soaker type. Your hands will thank you XD. Using one finger to spray is much more annoying than using four.

My old cosplay group: JAC Productions (with Paro Paro Inc friends) jac-productions.com/
chisainekocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #29
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisainekocat View Post
Definitely super-soaker type. Your hands will thank you XD. Using one finger to spray is much more annoying than using four.

I second this. SECOND THIS.

I can't tell you how painful it was to do some touch-ups on a friend's dye job when the only thing I had in the work area was one of the mini-bottles. My finger wants to die.
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #30
Devi 1313
Good girls gather

ok, so I'm guessing you're supposed to saturate the fiber instead of lightly misting it on like Katie Bair's dye?