Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 163 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #31
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi 1313 View Post
ok, so I'm guessing you're supposed to saturate the fiber instead of lightly misting it on like Katie Bair's dye?

No, misting it on actually does work better. Saturating the fiber too much will cause dripping, which you don't want.
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #32
meowmeowky

Using the dunk-dying method, do you wait for the wig to dry completely before you rinse out the excess or do you just wait for it to sit for a while?

Last edited by meowmeowky : 07-29-2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: clarity
meowmeowky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #33
Devi 1313
Good girls gather

Is it a common problem for Magenta to disappear? I made a mix of 3 mag. to 1 purple in 2 cups of alcohol and when I first spray it the color looks fine, but after it dries it looks straight up purple. I'm starting to wonder if I should use my 3 remaining magenta to make a separate cup of dye and color the wig in layers, or should I just keep adding magenta to my current mix?
Devi 1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #34
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmeowky View Post
Using the dunk-dying method, do you wait for the wig to dry completely before you rinse out the excess or do you just wait for it to sit for a while?
Wait for it to dry completely before rinsing, same way you would dye it with the other method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi 1313 View Post
Is it a common problem for Magenta to disappear? I made a mix of 3 mag. to 1 purple in 2 cups of alcohol and when I first spray it the color looks fine, but after it dries it looks straight up purple. I'm starting to wonder if I should use my 3 remaining magenta to make a separate cup of dye and color the wig in layers, or should I just keep adding magenta to my current mix?

Actually, purple masks magenta/berry/pink. I made a dye bath almost identical to yours, and it did the exact same thing, looking pinkish until it dried. My only guess is that the purple is too powerful to mix without covering up the weaker colors.

I'm starting to think you can't dillute the brown to make it any lighter either. I've dilluted and dilluted and added other colors, but it's not helping to make it less of a dark brown. Hrm.
Unread 08-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #35
Devi 1313
Good girls gather

Wow, what a bummer! I guess I may just have to make a separate magenta mix and just go lightly over with the purple mix :/
Devi 1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 05:18 AM   #36
Elenaya

Wow I never knew you could do this. This brings a whole new route into my cosplay world.

All right well, sorry if this sounds odd, I'm relatively new to cosplaying, AND I'm sorry if I missed this, it's late >< IF I buy a wig that's extremely high quality i.e. shiny, perfect tones and highlights, would it still be just as shiny etc. as it was previously before I colored it with markers? I'm trying to get a realistic looking wig going on that would be of a strange color.

Thankie :3
Elenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #37
Sarah-Boo
Ermahgerd

I hope this hasn't been answered yet, but how long should I wait after dyeing my wig, before washing it out?
Unread 08-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #38
Mindela
Lieks Munchlax

Methinks that perhaps we should start some sort of guide to wigs we've dyed with Sharpies including the picture of the final product, the Sharpie to alcohol ratio and the method used for application. I think it'd be a helpful guide for those not sure what to use.
Mindela is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2008, 02:09 AM   #39
Reject_Reality
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo♥Cherries View Post
I hope this hasn't been answered yet, but how long should I wait after dyeing my wig, before washing it out?
Just wait until the fibers of the wig are completely dry.
Reject_Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2008, 02:58 AM   #40
Honey Usagi-chi

Is there a significance in color tone difference/dye-ability when working with toyokalon/kanekalon extensions?
Honey Usagi-chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2008, 03:14 AM   #41
Hanyaan
at paranoia's poison door

Something I figured I should point out:

I dyed my Vinegar Doppio wig with a combination of lilac and purple sharpie dye, and then styled it heavily with Got2Be Glued hair spiking glue. Something about that particular combination (where the hair glue was the most concentrated) made the dye INSANELY UV sensitive. It faded like a mofo wherever it was in the sun for more than an hour where the glue was; I'm going to have to go back and hand touch up some of the places where the glue was and the sun hit it. Although the result is this amazing variegated color that looks so natural people kept thinking it was real hair rather than a wig, the amazing fade/bleach-tasticness is not something I particularly want in one of my wigs.

I'm not sure if it's the purple pigment specifically, but I figured it might be worth warning people that got2be hair glue and sharpie dye may not play very well together. It's happened twice before; I had to wash out all the styling, re-dye, and style again after accidentally leaving it where sunlight could hit it the first time. (It's now in a box in a lightless room.)
Unread 08-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #42
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

I think a Sharpie wig dye recipe/result thread would be a really good idea, kind of the like the "Cosworx wigs in Action" thread.

Something along the lines of:
Sharpies (color and quantity):
Alcohol amount:
Dyeing method:
Starting wig (brand and starting color):
Comments:

Anyway, the Got2BGlued stuff isn't my favorite stuff to use. It's expensive, and it doesn't work that much better than regular hairspray, IMO. I used it on the tip of Etna's spikes, and it also turned them a funky weird orangish color. You can't really see it unless you're up really close, but it's there.
Unread 08-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #43
Mindela
Lieks Munchlax

I only really use Got2B stuff on real hair for epic spiking jobs like Phoenix Wright. On wigs spray kinda makes stuff look hard and crunchy unlike regular Aquanet or Rave while the glue, if used on the whole wig, gives it a weird greasy shiny that never goes away.

Back on the topic of dying I'm confused. I dyed a wig for a friend for Otakon and rinsed the thing twice before styling. But the day he wore it it must've rubbed off on his neck somehow because when he put on another costume that day the inside of the color turned purple. What went wrong? I didn't use any hairspray or anything on that part of the wig
Mindela is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #44
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindela View Post
I only really use Got2B stuff on real hair for epic spiking jobs like Phoenix Wright. On wigs spray kinda makes stuff look hard and crunchy unlike regular Aquanet or Rave while the glue, if used on the whole wig, gives it a weird greasy shiny that never goes away.

Back on the topic of dying I'm confused. I dyed a wig for a friend for Otakon and rinsed the thing twice before styling. But the day he wore it it must've rubbed off on his neck somehow because when he put on another costume that day the inside of the color turned purple. What went wrong? I didn't use any hairspray or anything on that part of the wig

Quote:
8. Will my wig dye always bleed or run after my wig has been dyed?
If your wig has been properly dyed, washed, conditioned, and rinsed, you should have no problem with your wig bleeding. HOWEVER. Red inks and dyes always have a tendency to bleed, whether it's wig dye, food coloring, or some other sort of red coloring. Red inks are problematic and may bleed even after all procedures have been properly followed, whereas say a green or blue ink may not.
If you are going to do heavy styling on your wig after it has been dyed, then there is the possibility that the product you are using may remove or discolor your dye, no matter which type of ink you prefer. Wig dyes are alcohol based and most styling agents have some alcohol in them, which is what will mess up your dye job. Also, oils in your skin (namely, your hands) can also cause dye to bleed or run, and especially if it's hot and you're sweaty. If you're going to be heavily styling a dyed wig, then make sure to constantly clean your hands to keep them free of their oils, and make sure you don't drown your wig in product. Use a little bit of product at a time, in small doses and in layers. Make sure you let all layers of product dry before adding another layer.

I know the guide specifies that hands are oily, but ALL of your skin is oily and when walking around in costume for any sort of extended period, most people do tend to get sweaty.
Unread 08-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #45
emilyt3hstrange

I just wanted to say thank you so, so much for this FAQ. It's been extremely helpful, and I anticipate dying my Rei Ayanami will will be relatively painless, thanks to you!
emilyt3hstrange is offline   Reply With Quote