Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #46
Reilah
Loves Pickles

I have a question ^.^; Do you have to mix the sharpie ink with alcohol? or can you just pop the cap off and color..I'm looking to just do some multicolored streaks on my blue wig.
Gwendolyn - Odin Sphere
(Hopefully)

Planning
Feldt Grace - Gundam 00
Miku Hatsune - Dark Woods Circus/Vocaloid
Reilah is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #47
kimuhalu
Step AWAY from the yaoi!

Does the dye completely cover the fibers with it's color, or does it blend with the color of the fibers? (For example, using blue dye on a yellow wig turning it green.)

I'm using a green wig and am wanting to dye it to this color. I was thinking of using a Turqoise color sharpie. Depending on the answer to the above question, I don't know if it'll work.

Last edited by kimuhalu : 09-04-2008 at 05:32 PM.
kimuhalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #48
Lothlin

Dyes are transluscent (though the darker colors of dye are slightly less, and the blending will cut down a bit if you keep layering it on through multiple applications.) So yeah, you're going to get some blending.
Lothlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #49
kimuhalu
Step AWAY from the yaoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlin View Post
Dyes are transluscent (though the darker colors of dye are slightly less, and the blending will cut down a bit if you keep layering it on through multiple applications.) So yeah, you're going to get some blending.
Thank you, Lothlin. I'll try turquoise then. If it doesn't work I'll just wash it out.
Unread 09-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #50
Lothlin

*nods* yup, washing it out is pretty simple, and sharpies are cheap, so it's not much harm done if you don't get it right the first time ^^. Good luck!
Lothlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 10:53 PM   #51
RedeadDie
IMMA ZOMBIE

So say I have a golden blonde wig, but it mainly has to be brown with two large blonde streaks. Does golden blonde take well with brown sharpies and will the brown sharpie colored parts bleed into the blonde parts of the wig if I use a hair spray product on them afterwards? (Or just ever the brown bleed into the blonde at any point after it's dry?)
~Louis Despatis: Honor Amongst Thieves~
~Elliot March: Clover/Joker/Heart no Kuni no Alice~
RedeadDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 05:35 PM   #52
Dubaby
Dubaby

Wow! I just did a sharpie test sample on a peice of blonde wig that I had trimmed off and I was really impressed with how well the ink took!!! When I ran the cold water over it there was hardly even any color lost!

So I'm thinking that I will most definently be using this for me Neliel wig (using that wonderful seafoam sharpie on a blonde wig seems a lot less hassle then trying to find that right color of greeny-aqua)

My only question is, are there wig spikers and such that DO NOT make all that wonderful sharpie ink bleed out? Because if I color my own Washu wig I'll need to do HEAVY styling afterwards...
Dubaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #53
Seiyora
Indecisive Pumpkin

This thread is love <3 There were a couple of things I was a little unsure of and they seemed too trivial to create threads about, but I found the answers I was looking for here. Thank you!
Seiyora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #54
Yumei

I have a question. This is who I'm cosplaying http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...untitled-2.jpg
This was the recommended wig http://www.amphigory.com/wig_color_excitable.html

I can't buy the wig so I was gonna try a dye one to match using Sharpies since it worked so well for my other wigs.
I don't really know what color sharpies to buy...What do you guys recommend?
Should I buy a white/blonde wig and buy and combine colors to match? What colors would I buy to get the right color?
You think I can buy a light pink wig or a light purple wig and use either pink or purple sharpies to get the right color?
Thanks for any help.
Yumei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #55
kimuhalu
Step AWAY from the yaoi!

Is the Angela 750 one of those eleora wigs with the special coating to make the wave permanent? Has anyone tried dying one? The wig isn't taking my dye at all, and it just makes my wig wet. Am I supposed to let the dye sit more than 4 hours or can I use it right away? I used 12oz alcohol and 4 sharpies already, maybe I should use one more?

I'm at a loss.

Last edited by kimuhalu : 09-23-2008 at 04:31 PM.
kimuhalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #56
Luther
A wild LUTHER appeared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesshoutan View Post
Is the Angela 750 one of those eleora wigs with the special coating to make the wave permanent? Has anyone tried dying one? The wig isn't taking my dye at all, and it just makes my wig wet. Am I supposed to let the dye sit more than 4 hours or can I use it right away? I used 12oz alcohol and 4 sharpies already, maybe I should use one more?

I'm at a loss.
The Angela 750 is made of eleora, but has no coating for a permanent style and is compeletely dyable. What do you mean by "use it right away"? Are you trying to rinse it before the dye has dried? I always let the wig completely dry after spraying on/dunking it in the dye before rinsing it.

Last edited by Luther : 09-24-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #57
kimuhalu
Step AWAY from the yaoi!

^ I mean let the bottle of dye sit and settle before using. I dunk dyed it, let it soak for a bit and let it dry completely before I rinsed it, but the color didn't stay in at all.
Unread 09-25-2008, 01:57 AM   #58
HowlinMadMurphy
what

I really love the color of this wig, but I'm not willing to shell out for the shipping not to mention I'm a little dubious about the amount of wig fiber on it:
http://www.cyperous.com/wig/wig.cgi?...p=english.html

So, I'd like to reproduce something very very close to that depth by dying my own wig.

Would it be best to start with a close-to-black wig and then put some green dye on it? I don't think an "off-black" wig would really show enough of the green in normal lighting conditions, so I'm not sure what color I would order. A brown would neutralize the intensity of the green. A dark grey? That sounds like a pain in the ass to find!

Second option, start with an emerald green wig. What color dye would I use? A diluted black?

I guess a third option would be mixing a dye that was a really dark green to begin with. Would I use a green and black? Green and grey(silver)? And then, what color wig would I put it on?

I'm so confused!
HowlinMadMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2008, 02:03 AM   #59
benihime
Kimono Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinMadMurphy View Post
I really love the color of this wig, but I'm not willing to shell out for the shipping not to mention I'm a little dubious about the amount of wig fiber on it:
http://www.cyperous.com/wig/wig.cgi?...p=english.html

So, I'd like to reproduce something very very close to that depth by dying my own wig.

Would it be best to start with a close-to-black wig and then put some green dye on it? I don't think an "off-black" wig would really show enough of the green in normal lighting conditions, so I'm not sure what color I would order. A brown would neutralize the intensity of the green. A dark grey? That sounds like a pain in the ass to find!

Second option, start with an emerald green wig. What color dye would I use? A diluted black?

I guess a third option would be mixing a dye that was a really dark green to begin with. Would I use a green and black? Green and grey(silver)? And then, what color wig would I put it on?

I'm so confused!
first of all, you can't change the colors of the wig fibers, you can just put a coat over it, so the black and emerald should be out of the question. make a dye thats more green and a few drops of black and test that on a blonde or white wig

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2008, 02:03 AM   #60
benihime
Kimono Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesshoutan View Post

I'm at a loss.
it's probably one of those where you have to hand dye it, i know my scruffy wouldn't let me spray it on

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote